TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Any Suggestions On What Works Well For Sciatic Nerve Pain?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any Suggestions On What Works Well For Sciatic Nerve Pain?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have a lot of severe sciatic nerve pain due to the condition of my back, and it's been just horrible lately. The pain pills that my doc prescribed for me don't help much anymore, either.

Does anyone else suffer with this? And did you find a way to relieve it? I'm open to suggestions, b/c I've really been hurting a lot lately.


~KK~
post #2 of 11
Check back in with your doctor or find a better one. You may have to get injections or see if there's a way to burn the nerve off there.
post #3 of 11
I use gentle stretches on my massage clients. If you have a partner or close friend that will do it for you, compressions on your glutes (buttocks) will sometimes relieve the pressure on the nerve. Cover one hand with the other and press on the outer 2/3 of those muscles with the heel of the hand. It does not have to be in a particular pattern.
Does your pain go all the way to your foot, or does it stop at the knee?
post #4 of 11
What is the reason for your pain? Spinal problems? Where are you from? (because of access to herbal remedies, etc.)

I had pretty bad sciatica down to my foot, and it turned out to be from my hip that was bone on bone. I LIVED on aspirin (which is truly a wonder drug, but bad for your tummy) for a couple of years. I also find that Valerian root helps for back pain, but that's more of a muscle relaxer...
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
What is the reason for your pain? Spinal problems? Where are you from? (because of access to herbal remedies, etc.)
She has DDD - if I'm not mistaken, and is in Texas.

Unfortunately, if the nerve pain is from a disc problem - such as the disc matter leaking out onto the nerve, no amount of massage will help. It irritates, inflames, and eventually scars the nerve. I have DDD with an annular tear - it leaks a little and causes a localized burning that rubbing does not help, believe me that's the last thing I want. I'm not sure how bad her back is, but it's probably something a doctor should look into to see if there's been any more damage to any discs.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
She has DDD - if I'm not mistaken, and is in Texas.

Unfortunately, if the nerve pain is from a disc problem - such as the disc matter leaking out onto the nerve, no amount of massage will help. It irritates, inflames, and eventually scars the nerve. I have DDD with an annular tear - it leaks a little and causes a localized burning that rubbing does not help, believe me that's the last thing I want. I'm not sure how bad her back is, but it's probably something a doctor should look into to see if there's been any more damage to any discs.
Oh wow. If that's the case, that sounds really "not good". I would think either the nerve would have to be worked on or have a disc surgery done. Things are "better" in the disc surgery world these days, from what I understand, but that's still one of the fields in medicine that's really, really complicated.
post #7 of 11
There are also stretches that can help strengthen that area... I've slacked on mine and I've been feeling it. But as with anything it's a matter of knowing what's safe to do.

Ice packs may provide some temporary relief if there's some inflammation.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
I apologize for not responding sooner than now. With the computer being down and all, well, y'all know what's been going on..

To answer your questions...

I live in Texas, but I'm from Wisconsin. As StrangeWings mentioned, I do have degenerative disc disease, in which I've already had surgery for, and have a titanium disc & pins in my back now to replace the "wornout" parts. When they did the surgery, they had to remove bone from my hip also to 'glue' the damaged area together (I can't think of a better word to use other than glue).

The pain/numbness/burning/tingling starts at the middle of my back and goes all the way down to my toes.. I've tried the stretching exercises, physical therapy, and just about everything else too, but to no avail.

Others have mentioned getting the injections too, but b/c I'm not working and have no health insurance, everything has to be paid for out-of-pocket. Just paying for doctor's office visits and meds is a strain as it is. I certainly don't have the money for another surgery (not that I want to do THAT again! ).

I hope I answered everyone's questions. And thanks for your input y'all!

Tiff

post #9 of 11
Hon, if you think you might want to consult a surgeon, my brother has a friend who is an amazing spine surgeon, performing miracles daily. (He's also a pretty darn good guitarist, which is how my brother knows him.) If you'd like his name, PM me!
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Hon, if you think you might want to consult a surgeon, my brother has a friend who is an amazing spine surgeon, performing miracles daily. (He's also a pretty darn good guitarist, which is how my brother knows him.) If you'd like his name, PM me!

I really don't want to undergo another back surgery, but I may not have a choice..

Where is he located?
post #11 of 11
A nice big shot of cortisone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Any Suggestions On What Works Well For Sciatic Nerve Pain?