Stray kitten appeared in my garage

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No collar, kinda small but I think he's 9-10 weeks old, just malnourished. I haven't been able to get closer than 5ft without him running away. I am going to buy a humane trap after work, unless somebody has an idea of a better way to catch him. He looks like he doesn't feel well. We have food and water in the garage for our 2 indoor/outdoor cats (who could care less about the kitten). He was outside in the bushes this AM, and I opened the garage door so that he would have somewhere to run for shelter. When I left for work he was in the garage. I don't think he knows about cat doors.

He's got a little bobtail, he's a brownish tabby with an orangish hue, and I don't know the sex, I'm just referring to him as "he" in this post because I don't want to refer to him as "it".

Suggestions for catching a very scared little baby? Or should I just go with the humane trap?

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you think he's ill and he won't let you near him, I'd go with the trap. Keep feeding him in the same spot for a couple of days, and then set the trap. It might be the quickest way to get a hold of him and get him to a vet. About a month ago, I caught a kitten roughly the same age using a trap, as I couldn't get within 20 feet without him bolting. He's now a happy, healthy member of the family. So... good luck, and keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We caught the kitten! And its a girl! I didn't end up buying the humane trap. We trapped her in the garage, and cornered her behind the tall shelves, and I was able to reach behind them and scruff her. She's skinny and wormy and seems kinda weak. She's in a carrier right now with canned food, water and a small litter pan (we think she was using the litter pan in the garage as she was in there all day and there are no little "presents" around.) I don't think she's really a feral, I think she's just scared. We live in an upscale neighborhood, and people do dump cats in nice neighborhoods because they think the nice rich people will take care of them.

This is the kitten:

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

We live in an upscale neighborhood, and people do dump cats in nice neighborhoods because they think the nice rich people will take care of them.
I know. We have that problem around here too. It is utterly ridiculous. The pets should be dropped off at shelters at least. I can even understand outside of a vet's office or taking them inside and bolting, but to ditch them cold like that is beyond my comprehension.
She is very cute. Are you thinking of keeping her?

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

I know. We have that problem around here too. It is utterly ridiculous. The pets should be dropped off at shelters at least. I can even understand outside of a vet's office or taking them inside and bolting, but to ditch them cold like that is beyond my comprehension.
She is very cute. Are you thinking of keeping her?
I can't keep her. I can't afford it, and my parents don't want her. She might end up at the SPCA near my house (which is a kill shelter, although they try not to) because its the tail end of kitten season and rescues are FULL. Of course they are always full, but with kitten season they are twice as full.

This cat needs somewhere to go!

liljoey511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish i could take her, but im in California. I don't know how that works, please make your parents consider a no kill shelter.

http://www.animalliberationfront.com...20Shelters.htm

Virginia

Friends of homeless animals (FOHA). Northern VA
Animal Aid Society, Grafton
Animal Allies, Fairfax Station
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue
Feline Foundation of Washington, Merrifield
Homeless Animals Rescue Team, Fairfax Station
K9 New Like Center, Virginia Beach
Meower Power Feral Cat Coalition, Chesapeake
Northern Virginia Animal League, Inc.
Pet Assistance League of Virginia, Prince William Co
Rappahannock Humane Society
Richmond Animal League, Richmond
Saving Furry Friends - Glade Spring. Accommodates about 50 animals at any given time including handicapped animals.
Second Chance Shelter
SNIPS
S.P.C.A. of Northern Virginia
Shiloh Project, The

Is it that they don't like cats? People like that frustrate me.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually I volunteer for FOHA. I took her to the vet earlier and had FIV/FeLV tests done, and they were negative!
She also got some dewormer. Tomorrow I am driving her to FOHA's shelter where Leslie (fellow volunteer) is meeting me and Leslie is going to figure out a way to get her to the foster home she has lined up in Rockville MD. Its the kitten rescue railroad.

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She improved very fast. It was about a day before she realized she was safe, and she became a real love bug, just purring all over me and rubbing her little head all over my hand when I'd give her attention. She's with Leslie tonight and then Leslie is going to transport her to her foster home in Rockville MD. I'm sure she'll be adopted in no time. They've decided to name her Doll Baby because she's such a doll!!

And by the way, my parents love cats, they just didn't want her here very long because they didn't want to get attached, because we can't have another cat right now.