TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Perfume facts, not an opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Perfume facts, not an opinion. - Page 5

post #121 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
It makes me feel physically sick We used to have someone at work who stank of BO so people avoided him where possible
I agree - I hold my breath anywhere near someone like that or put something over my nose and mouth or I get green around the gills.
post #122 of 141
Thread Starter 
Oh, I love that article. I can't wait until this becomes national. Good bye stinkies.
post #123 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
Oh, I love that article. I can't wait until this becomes national. Good bye stinkies.
Being as the article was from Nova Scotia, I don't think you'll benefit much if it does.

And if you read the article, it's apparently not viewed as such a good thing. It's being referred to as the "Halifax Horror" shows that not everyone us behind it. Banning scented deodorants and body wash? Should make for a comeback to BO.
post #124 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
Being as the article was from Nova Scotia, I don't think you'll benefit much if it does.

And if you read the article, it's apparently not viewed as such a good thing. It's being referred to as the "Halifax Horror" shows that not everyone us behind it. Banning scented deodorants and body wash? Should make for a comeback to BO.
I did read the article, and there are a few malcontents such as you. The point is it was done, and has a lot of support, and it says that it is also in effect somwhere in cal. and I know it is already in effect in medical facilities, so it is only a matter of time. don't understand why it bothers you so much. Did you find a sale on Pechouli oil? Don't the people you associate with bathe? Intersting.

You can still wear it at home.
post #125 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
I did read the article, and there are a few malcontents such as you. The point is it was done, and has a lot of support, and it says that it is also in effect somwhere in cal. and I know it is already in effect in medical facilities, so it is only a matter of time. don't understand why it bothers you so much. Did you find a sale on Pechouli oil? Don't the people you associate with bathe? Intersting.

You can still wear it at home.

I happen to not wear perfumes or scented products at all. I do however think that people asking others kindly to tone the use of them down is fair enough. If that makes me a "malcontent" then I'll just have to be one.

The necessity for a law against many to accomodate a few is what irks me. I don't like ads on tv for male enhancement products, doesn't mean they should be banned. I simply turn the channel. Just like with someone who wears a strong or offensive scent, I handle the situation myself, one on one, without having to sue someone or enact legislation.

No wonder people in this country feel run over. Everyone with their agenda to ban this and ban that, when all it would probably take is a considerate conversation to change things. And IF that didn't work, the person offended always has the choice to walk away. Even if that meant finding a place to work that would accomodate the "unscented." Sometimes you have to make the change yourself instead of expecting the world around you to do so.
post #126 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
I happen to not wear perfumes or scented products at all. I do however think that people asking others kindly to tone the use of them down is fair enough. If that makes me a "malcontent" then I'll just have to be one.

The necessity for a law against many to accomodate a few is what irks me. I don't like ads on tv for male enhancement products, doesn't mean they should be banned. I simply turn the channel. Just like with someone who wears a strong or offensive scent, I handle the situation myself, one on one, without having to sue someone or enact legislation.

No wonder people in this country feel run over. Everyone with their agenda to ban this and ban that, when all it would probably take is a considerate conversation to change things. And IF that didn't work, the person offended always has the choice to walk away. Even if that meant finding a place to work that would accomodate the "unscented." Sometimes you have to make the change yourself instead of expecting the world around you to do so.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work the way you think it should, and unfortunately many people are not as direct as you or I. They will suffer in silence. Also, it is more than a few. This would not be an issue if it were just a few. And unfortunately asking nicely does not always cut it, if the person you are asking feels they have rights, and you don't have the right to ask them to alter their behavior. and actually, that is true until there is a law saying they don't have the right. And another point, you say well then the person that doesn't like it should find another job that is unscented. Well, exactly where will that be if banning scents doesn't happen, which you do not want to happen. That means that person has to go through life ill, perhaps taking medications, because they have to live and eat, and the jobs available have employees laden with perfume and after shave, the bathroom has a wall dispenser of fragrance, the cleaning crew uses scented products and the soap in the dispenser is sickening sweet, smells like fruit? It is not just the coworkers. It is the entire environment.
Fragrances are everywhere now, and it has become an epidemic, so much so that the affected ones are finally banning together to make the change. This is a matter of public health, and one should not be exposed unnecessarily to substances that make them ill. Exactly like smoking. I welcome it. It can't happen soon enough. I will do everything I can to promote and facilitate.
post #127 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
And unfortunately asking nicely does not always cut it, if the person you are asking feels they have rights, and you don't have the right to ask them to alter their behavior. and actually, that is true until there is a law saying they don't have the right.
Those people who "feels they have rights" are just really too smug. Seriously - why would anyone in this country think they have any rights?

I'm seeing a whole 'nother side of this. I'm very allergic to a lot of plants that are non-indigenous to this area, one of which is Kentucky Bluegrass. Trust me - that don't grow here in Colorado without serious help. And every time I go past someone cutting their lawn, or if I'm at home when they are cutting the grass in our subdivision, I have a really hard time breathing. I have to take a pill (one of many) to control my allergies, AND I have allergy induced asthma. So it's not like I'm just making this one up. If we could just BAN all the non-indiginous plants and flowers, I would have a MUCH easier time breathing. I know a lot of people would benefit since pollen is a major allergen, and what good do flowers do anyway? It's not like we harvest the fruit. So let's ban it because I don't like flowers and I hate grass, and it is harmful to my health. What gives Joe Schmoe the right to have a yard when I don't like it and it's harmful to me?

Oh wait. Moment of clarity. That would be absurd. And I do not have the right to impose what I want on the rest of society, unless there are so many people who feel the same way I do that a law is passed. But frankly, even if there were enough people who wanted a ban on non-indiginous plants, I don't want another law that limits my individual rights and puts the government more in control of my personal life and choices. I don't want the government to control my body, I don't want the government in my bedroom, and I don't want the government in my bathroom telling me what scents I can or cannot use to groom myself.
post #128 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I don't want the government in my bathroom telling me what scents I can or cannot use to groom myself.
you know, they're already there...
the bureaucrat in the bathroom
snippet from above
Quote:
There are strict laws in place that force manufacturers to limit the amount of water that a faucet and/or shower head can deliver in a given amount of time.
post #129 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
I'm seeing a whole 'nother side of this. I'm very allergic to a lot of plants that are non-indigenous to this area, one of which is Kentucky Bluegrass. Trust me - that don't grow here in Colorado without serious help. And every time I go past someone cutting their lawn, or if I'm at home when they are cutting the grass in our subdivision, I have a really hard time breathing. I have to take a pill (one of many) to control my allergies, AND I have allergy induced asthma. So it's not like I'm just making this one up. If we could just BAN all the non-indiginous plants and flowers, I would have a MUCH easier time breathing. I know a lot of people would benefit since pollen is a major allergen, and what good do flowers do anyway? It's not like we harvest the fruit. So let's ban it because I don't like flowers and I hate grass, and it is harmful to my health. What gives Joe Schmoe the right to have a yard when I don't like it and it's harmful to me?

Oh wait. Moment of clarity. That would be absurd. And I do not have the right to impose what I want on the rest of society, unless there are so many people who feel the same way I do that a law is passed. But frankly, even if there were enough people who wanted a ban on non-indiginous plants, I don't want another law that limits my individual rights and puts the government more in control of my personal life and choices. I don't want the government to control my body, I don't want the government in my bedroom, and I don't want the government in my bathroom telling me what scents I can or cannot use to groom myself.
We are living in the days where all governments (especially North America) are trying to be sooooo politically correct that they are taking away our rights all over the place. The folks that make the loud noises are getting their way even if they are a minority because our government doesn't want to appear "prejudiced" in any way. As I said many posts back in this thread, where does it end? What happens if one of those small groups gets something banned that you want?

There is an old adage that this issue brings to my mind - "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it"!
post #130 of 141
I am thinking that they need to isolate the chemicals that are causing the issues. Just like they did with DDT and other harmful substances. Find out what they put in the fragrance that causes the problem and urge the companies to come up with other formulas.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
post #131 of 141
I too am allergic to some/most perfumes. When I walk through the cosmetic counters at department stores I break out in hives. I do like flower scents, but stick to soapy clean smells. Seems to work for me.
post #132 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC12 View Post
I am thinking that they need to isolate the chemicals that are causing the issues. Just like they did with DDT and other harmful substances. Find out what they put in the fragrance that causes the problem and urge the companies to come up with other formulas.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
I agree....BUT- All the research so far has been unable to detect any chemical toxicity in any of the chemicals used in fragrances, and all the "problems" supposedly caused by the chemicals cant be replicated under scientific study (ie. when odor masking was used, so people thought they were smelling a "pleasant" odor, their symptoms did not occur).
I have still not seen a shard of actual evidence about chemical (or other) toxicity from fragrance. People experiencing unpleasant effects does not mean they are having a reaction to a chemical or toxic effect. I see no parallels to the smoking issue as a result, and no reason to ban fragrances in the workplace or anywhere else.
To the OP/others on that side of the issue: I am still hoping to see some actual research indicating toxicity/carcinogenic/harmful properties in fragrance, as this is a valid debate if such research exists (and I am NOT looking for research about peoples allergies/asthma being aggravated, Im looking for an indication of actual harm due to chemica/toxic effects). If said research does not exist, than a fragrance ban is a ridiculous idea that will never stand up under challenge if implemented.
post #133 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa View Post
I agree....BUT- All the
To the OP/others on that side of the issue: I am still hoping to see some actual research indicating toxicity/carcinogenic/harmful properties in fragrance, as this is a valid debate if such research exists (and I am NOT looking for research about peoples allergies/asthma being aggravated, Im looking for an indication of actual harm due to chemica/toxic effects). If said research does not exist, than a fragrance ban is a ridiculous idea that will never stand up under challenge if implemented.
If people with respiratory problems all have the same reactions to synthetic fragrances, then I would deduce that is pretty valid research that something in the property is aggravating the condition, thus harmful to said subjects health. An aggravated condition lowers the subjects immune system and makes them more vulnerable to any other harmful substance or conditions. Furthermore, the reason you cannot find actual "research" about the substances in the synthetic fragraNCES is because the companies are protected under "trade secret". They are not required to reveal what is in the products. Therefore no research can be done on them. How convenient for those that want to believe they are not harmful. I think a bunch of people coughing, gagging, getting runny eyes/nose, itchy throat, and skin rashes should be enough to alert all of us that something in the product is foul. Just as the canary in the coal mine, everyone should take heed, if there is enough to harm those most sensitive, there is harm to different degrees, to all.
post #134 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Februa View Post
To the OP/others on that side of the issue: I am still hoping to see some actual research indicating toxicity/carcinogenic/harmful properties in fragrance, as this is a valid debate if such research exists (and I am NOT looking for research about peoples allergies/asthma being aggravated, Im looking for an indication of actual harm due to chemica/toxic effects). If said research does not exist, than a fragrance ban is a ridiculous idea that will never stand up under challenge if implemented.
When something causes a reaction where you have trouble breathing, I absolutely could care less if there is a documented toxicity/carcinogenic study on the topic. I hope you never have to experience this feeling.

The difference between this and breathing in second hand smoke (a carcinogen), is the the effects of fragrance are immediate while you would have to breath in second hand smoke over a much longer period of time for an ill effect. A friend of mine wound up in the emergency room a few times a year because of people wearing fragrance in public places. She was old enough to live thru times when people smoked openly everywhere and never had a trip to the ER from that.
post #135 of 141
I vote for heavy fines for people that stink. Both from BO, and for people that take a bath in perfume. Many types of it will make my eyes water, and cause me to start coughing. Once after being stuck for 10 hours on plane with someone wearing opium perfume, my eyes where swelled shut.

lol you know its bad, when you pass a car on the highway, and you smell there perfume.
my office has banned it for both men and women. They sent out several emails asking people to tone it down, But that did no good.
post #136 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
I vote for heavy fines for people that stink. Both from BO, and for people that take a bath in perfume. Many types of it will make my eyes water, and cause me to start coughing. Once after being stuck for 10 hours on plane with someone wearing opium perfume, my eyes where swelled shut.

lol you know its bad, when you pass a car on the highway, and you smell there perfume.
my office has banned it for both men and women. They sent out several emails asking people to tone it down, But that did no good.
I can get behind that.
All I know is that I would never want to cause someone to have an asthma attack. I thought about this thread yesterday when I had someone over to my home. I have home fragrances in my house.
So I decided to meet with them in my TV room which is fragrance free. I even have an air filter in there. I was going to put some fragrance sticks in there but I think I am going to refrain.
I think a little sensitivity to someone else's issues aren't too much to ask. I am not planning to give up fragrances for life or anything but if someone asks I would be happy to oblige.
post #137 of 141
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC12 View Post
I can get behind that.
All I know is that I would never want to cause someone to have an asthma attack. I thought about this thread yesterday when I had someone over to my home. I have home fragrances in my house.
So I decided to meet with them in my TV room which is fragrance free. I even have an air filter in there. I was going to put some fragrance sticks in there but I think I am going to refrain.
I think a little sensitivity to someone else's issues aren't too much to ask. I am not planning to give up fragrances for life or anything but if someone asks I would be happy to oblige.

THANK YOU!!!!!
post #138 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!
Very welcome.
Your persistence paid off.
post #139 of 141
Hey thanks for posting! I'm allergic to any perfume with flowers or the sent of flowers in it! It gives me a bloody nose! So you could imagine how fun it is for me to leave class every day I have to sit next to the girl with a bucket of flower perfume on

Now if we could have fines for people that smoke too! I have really bad asthma problems becuase of smoke. Just the smell on someone can set off an attack. Sadly I haven't had money to buy an inhaler for the last few months so I've just had to struggle with it. Thank GOD Iowa has laws against public smoking!
post #140 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya View Post
Hey thanks for posting! I'm allergic to any perfume with flowers or the sent of flowers in it! It gives me a bloody nose! So you could imagine how fun it is for me to leave class every day I have to sit next to the girl with a bucket of flower perfume on

Now if we could have fines for people that smoke too! I have really bad asthma problems becuase of smoke. Just the smell on someone can set off an attack. Sadly I haven't had money to buy an inhaler for the last few months so I've just had to struggle with it. Thank GOD Iowa has laws against public smoking!
Look into a nebulizer-- the prepared albuterol that goes in those costs 11$ without insurance for 30, which is enough for a month if you do a full treatment every day. For me it lasts much longer because I use it as needed, but you could use it before class. There are nebulizers online for like 30$, and a one-time purchase lasts years (my last one lasted a decade, current one I've had for 5 or 6 years). Nobody should suffer through uncontrolled asthma, not only because it's miserable but it's pretty dangerous, and a hospital ER bill will be much more than your medication.
post #141 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breal76 View Post
blah..

Kids are toxic to my health but I doubt they will get banned anytime soon. lol.
I agree!

I only wear a spritz of perfume, and you can only smell it if you're very close to me ... too close for anyone other than DH to be. I cannot stand when someone BATHES in perfume! There is a lady at work who smells as though she doused herself in a bottle of fragrance, and it burns your nose when she walks by. Ugh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Perfume facts, not an opinion.