The doc found cancer cells in my mom!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago and the doc found some small calcium deposits so last week she had a ultrasound and a needle biopsy.

She went back yesterday and the doc had a oncologist and oncologist nurse with her and sent that the results are a carcinoma in one of the ducts.

She has an MRI on Friday and then goes back next Thursday for the results.

She said the docs gave her some literature to look over-she is going to fax to my sis as my sis works with some docs at UVA to decipher.

The doc mentioned needle aspiration, radiation and a course of tamoxifen as a treatment regime.

She had ovarian cancer about 25 yrs ago but the doc doesn't feel that was the cause of this.

She also did not feel any lump during a breast exam.

So if you could send some vibes-she was supposed to have cataract surgery tomorrow but postponed that for the time being.
I think she is not scared but a bit overwhelmed currently and most likely anxious about the future prognosis.

Thanks.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your mom will definintely be in my prayers. DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) has a very, very good prognosis when detected early. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well for her!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending many prayers and good vibes to your mom and family

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom (76) is going through something similar. Tubular carcinoma, found in a calcification. She was at surgeon this morning and I'm waiting to find out when her mastectomy (she chose that over lumpectomy/radiation) will be done.

Good luck to your mom!!!!!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for her.
Would she like to join a Cancer Group I am in?
I joined it when my Husband got Leukemia and they help alot.
My Aunt beat Breast Cancer but my Mom died from it.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Mom had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago and the doc found some small calcium deposits so last week she had a ultrasound and a needle biopsy.

She went back yesterday and the doc had a oncologist and oncologist nurse with her and sent that the results are a carcinoma in one of the ducts.

She has an MRI on Friday and then goes back next Thursday for the results.

She said the docs gave her some literature to look over-she is going to fax to my sis as my sis works with some docs at UVA to decipher.

The doc mentioned needle aspiration, radiation and a course of tamoxifen as a treatment regime.

She had ovarian cancer about 25 yrs ago but the doc doesn't feel that was the cause of this.

She also did not feel any lump during a breast exam.

So if you could send some vibes-she was supposed to have cataract surgery tomorrow but postponed that for the time being.
I think she is not scared but a bit overwhelmed currently and most likely anxious about the future prognosis.

Thanks.
Oh hun, mega that your Mom will be OK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom faxed some info to my sis as my sis works for a medical research foundation and one of their groups is researching breast cancer.

This is what my sis just emailed me:

[font=&quot]Yep, got the fax[/font][font=&quot] – spoke with people here – [/font][font=&quot]all good news.[/font]

[font=&quot]MRI is just for another diagnostic test and to aid if the Dr. decides IF she should have a lumpectomy to remove the teeny-tiny mass, the biomarker test they did also had a good result. [/font]
[font=&quot]All other pathology test/grades have to do with cell size and shape. The Dr at UVA said she has pre-cursor cells for breast cancer but as of this report does NOT have breast cancer (and stressed the importance of mammograms)[/font]

[font=&quot]So I called Mom and relayed this info to her – she seemed more at ease – told her to think of it as a skin cancer lesion – you take it off – maybe follow on treatment - and get back to normal things

So this of course is not from her doc but its better news than what I was thinking.

I appreciate all the vibes and will pass them on to my mom

[/font]

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my mom [the reason for my pink ribbon] is a breast cancer survivor. she also had no palpable lump - her cancer was found on a routine mammogram. she had a lumpectomy, radiation & tamoxifen, as well. her particular cancer was hormone-sensitive - hence the tamoxifen [anti-hormone, basically].
she's now 71. her cancer was discovered in her 50s. she has had no recurrence of any kind.
some side effects - she no longer needs to shave or use deodorant on the radiation side [she likes that!]. the tamoxifen exacerbated her menopausal symptoms - she went thru a few really uncomfortable years.
sending & for you, your family & your mom.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

It sounds like they caught it early, thank goodness. I'll be thinking good thoughts for her too!
Sounds like it! Many prayers and vibes headed her way

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Gail, your Mom is in my prayers!
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

My mom (76) is going through something similar. Tubular carcinoma, found in a calcification. She was at surgeon this morning and I'm waiting to find out when her mastectomy (she chose that over lumpectomy/radiation) will be done.

Good luck to your mom!!!!!!!
And your Mom too!