I have to go to the eye doctor tomorrow! EEK!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhhh i've been dreading tomorrow morning all day- I have to go to my eye doctor for my check up. I HATE going and having my eyes messed with- it totally freaks me out. Even worse is when they dilate them- omg i hate it!!!!
He always puts this weird paper stuff in my eyes when i go too (it stains my tears orange so he can see how much i produce- i've got chronic dry eye pretty bad. That has to be one of the most uncomfortable tests ever!!!) I swear i hate it when people mess with my eye!!! It's just so violating!

Every time i go in my vision always seems to get worse too. At the moment i'm at a -5.00 in my left eye and a -4.75 in my right. I can't see a darn thing without my contacts or glasses and as of lately i feel like i've lost a little more vision, so not good. I wish my eyes would stop changing!
My doctor is really nice, fortunately though and normally very patient with me, but even so, i hate having him poke and prod my eyes. It's just weird!!!!

Anyone else a pansy about going to the eye doctor??? I swear, i'd rather go to my OBGYN than my eye doctor, i hate it that much!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

and it will all be okay...
Thanks Jen
I'm already anxious about going. I know i shouldn't freak out- but that is the place that really just makes me uneasy and nervous. I just hate it when other people mess with my eyes- i don't know how else to explaine it!
DH is supposed to drive me tomorrow, last time i drove myself and had to call my mom to come and pick me up because i couldn't see well to drive

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Anyone else a pansy about going to the eye doctor??? I swear, i'd rather go to my OBGYN than my eye doctor, i hate it that much!!!
i'm the complete opposite - i'd far rather an eye exam than a vaginal one!
btw, my script [adjusted for monovision, btw] is L= -07.00,
R= -05.00, [right is 'reading eye'] so i totally get the "can't see w/o glasses or lenses" thing!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not particularly fond of it myself. I had a check up last November because I was having very bad eye pain. Turns out it was just dry eye.
I should have another check up soon as I didn't have my prescription checked then and probably see if I should have a Schimmer test - though I'm not sure how the difference between autoimmune issue causing lack of tears or nervous system causing lack of tears would show.
I've seen you mention elsewhere that caffeine bothers you so you may want to ask for epinephrine free drops. And if you can still feel anything, say so. It takes a couple extra drops in each eye to numb mine.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should have some Rescue Remedy before you go

I can't see without contacts or glasses either, but I don't mind having my eyes checked.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to get to eye doc. My glasses are so scratched up.

I am pretty useless without them too I thought I was like -3.75 but my left eye is worse than my right eye.

Hope the exam goes well for you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, it's probably too late now, but there's a different eyedrop they can use -- the one that makes your eyes orange gives me a terrible allergic reaction, so they're careful to use "the other one" now... but I don't know the name of it.

Do you think you may just be uncomfortable with this particular doctor? I hated going to the ophthalmologist too, until I found my current one. He's the best doctor I've ever had of any kind, and my visits are not at all uncomfortable. (And he's corrected both my close-up and my distance vision, even though other ophthalmologists had told me that wasn't possible and I should pick one or the other!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have to go today!!!!

They called me early this morning to tell me the doctor wasn't feeling well and had to cancel his appointments today!
(i clap because i didn't have to go- but i do hope he feels better soon)

They did reschedule me for Friday at 10:30 though so i still have to go...but at least it wasn't today
DH is going to take me on Friday.

I'm breathing a small sigh of relief in the mean time though that i didn't have to go today! I don't know why but i've just always hated going to the eye doctor- i do have a very nice eye doctor that i do like (i've gone to him since i was a little girl), but it's just the thought of him touching and messing around with my eyes that freak me out more than anything else! I just can't stand it

He has me on a few OTC things right now to help my eye problems. Do any of you use these? They seem to work pretty good for me
:
GenTeal Eye Gel (Severe Dry Eye Relief) I use it in the morning before i put my contacts in and in the evening when i take them out.
http://www.genteal.com/info/products....jsp?WT.svl=CM

I use GenTeal Gel Drops during the day when i need it
http://www.genteal.com/info/products....jsp?WT.svl=LM

And i use Genteal PM Eye Ointment at night - it's like a gel you put in your eye. It feels kind of weird, but it keeps my eyes from drying up so much during the night. About a year ago my eyes dried out so bad at night that it tore part of my cornea when i opened them and he had to give me steroid eye drops for it. (those hurt!!!) After that though he told me to use that pm gel at night when i go to bed and i haven't had that issue since!!! He also told me to sleep with a sleep mask over my eyes at night if i want to use the fan in our bedroom so it doens't dry them out so much. That helps too.

He also gave me a prescription for drops the last time i was there but i'm all out (another reason i need to go- i need another prescription!). In the mean time i'm just using OTC allergy drops. I don't have bad allergies anywhere else on my body- but my eyes seem to bear the brunt of everything! They're way too sensitive.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't have to go today!!!!

They called me early this morning to tell me the doctor wasn't feeling well and had to cancel his appointments today!
(i clap because i didn't have to go- but i do hope he feels better soon)

They did reschedule me for Friday at 10:30 though so i still have to go...but at least it wasn't today
DH is going to take me on Friday.

I'm breathing a small sigh of relief in the mean time though that i didn't have to go today! I don't know why but i've just always hated going to the eye doctor- i do have a very nice eye doctor that i do like (i've gone to him since i was a little girl), but it's just the thought of him touching and messing around with my eyes that freak me out more than anything else! I just can't stand it

He has me on a few OTC things right now to help my eye problems. Do any of you use these? They seem to work pretty good for me
:
GenTeal Eye Gel (Severe Dry Eye Relief) I use it in the morning before i put my contacts in and in the evening when i take them out.
http://www.genteal.com/info/products....jsp?WT.svl=CM

I use GenTeal Gel Drops during the day when i need it
http://www.genteal.com/info/products....jsp?WT.svl=LM

And i use Genteal PM Eye Ointment at night - it's like a gel you put in your eye. It feels kind of weird, but it keeps my eyes from drying up so much during the night. About a year ago my eyes dried out so bad at night that it tore part of my cornea when i opened them and he had to give me steroid eye drops for it. (those hurt!!!) After that though he told me to use that pm gel at night when i go to bed and i haven't had that issue since!!! He also told me to sleep with a sleep mask over my eyes at night if i want to use the fan in our bedroom so it doens't dry them out so much. That helps too.

He also gave me a prescription for drops the last time i was there but i'm all out (another reason i need to go- i need another prescription!). In the mean time i'm just using OTC allergy drops. I don't have bad allergies anywhere else on my body- but my eyes seem to bear the brunt of everything! They're way too sensitive.
I love the eye doctor but panic over the chart. LoL I would hate to make the wrong choice and mess up my prescription. My eyes are worst than your's but the last few years they have slightly gotten better.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I love the eye doctor but panic over the chart. LoL I would hate to make the wrong choice and mess up my prescription. My eyes are worst than your's but the last few years they have slightly gotten better.
Did you do anything to make them improve or did they just get better on their own?? That's great that yours are getting better!!!

Ohh i agree about the charts! What's bad for me is when he has me look through the little machine and asks me "is slide number one better or worse? what about number two? -sometimes i just can't tell a difference

I've always wanted to get laser eye surgery, but my eye doctor said i can't have it right now because they keep changing so much

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did you do anything to make them improve or did they just get better on their own?? That's great that yours are getting better!!!

Ohh i agree about the charts! What's bad for me is when he has me look through the little machine and asks me "is slide number one better or worse? what about number two? -sometimes i just can't tell a difference

I've always wanted to get laser eye surgery, but my eye doctor said i can't have it right now because they keep changing so much
Yep mine were changing very slightly over the years. Wish I knew my prescription. I agree sometimes they both look the same. My doctor said I was a great candidate for the surgery and he is a consult for Will's Eye.

Just relax and you will be fine. Tons of breathing exercises. Maybe Friday it will be cloudy too

ashro

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing that really bothers me at the eye doctor is the glaucoma pressure test

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay that's it's postponed! That your Dr. is Ok!
That you have to go later!

I'm like you, I HATE eye appointments.
I hate anything near my eyes, to the point that I don't think I could ever do contacts! Nothing's worse than when they numb your eyes and then go messing with them... You can still feel it but not really...

So best of luck to you!! It's one of those necessary evils... Remember, it's not making your eyes bad / worse, just reporting... And HELPING!!
and

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Yep mine were changing very slightly over the years. Wish I knew my prescription. I agree sometimes they both look the same. My doctor said I was a great candidate for the surgery and he is a consult for Will's Eye.

Just relax and you will be fine. Tons of breathing exercises. Maybe Friday it will be cloudy too
I will definitely concentrate on my breathing when i go. I know it sounds silly, but i almost panic when i have to go there
I don't do that anywhere else- i guess it's just something about havinzg my eyes messed with by anyone aside from myself. It makes me crazy!!!

Do you think you'll eventually get eye surgery? Colin got it through the Navy and he has perfect vision so far. He said it wasn't bad at all.

Originally Posted by ashro

The only thing that really bothers me at the eye doctor is the glaucoma pressure test
That one doesn't bother me so much- what really drives me nuts is when they put the orange paper in my eye to dye it- that's aweful!!! I'm not a fan of them dialating (sp?) my eyes eithor!

Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Yay that's it's postponed! That your Dr. is Ok!
That you have to go later!

I'm like you, I HATE eye appointments.
I hate anything near my eyes, to the point that I don't think I could ever do contacts! Nothing's worse than when they numb your eyes and then go messing with them... You can still feel it but not really...

So best of luck to you!! It's one of those necessary evils... Remember, it's not making your eyes bad / worse, just reporting... And HELPING!!
and
For me i'm ok if i mess with my eyes...i've had contacts since i was in the 5th grade....so i'm ok touching them. What really freaks me out though is when someone else touches my eye- i hate it!!!

Definitely a ncessary evil- that's why i'm going....just something i wish i didn't have to do

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was suggested to use GenTeal, but I've found that my eyes are very sensitive so I use the single use, extra thick, preservative free Refresh Celluvisc vials. Not the cheapest route but anything else makes my eyes burn.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been seeing a drug on tv ads that are supposed to help those of us with dry eyes.....has anyone here used it? I don't know how the heck you wear contacts, mine are so dry that the contacts just stick to the eyeball in one place and don't "float" like they're supposed to, lol!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

I've been seeing a drug on tv ads that are supposed to help those of us with dry eyes.....has anyone here used it?
Do you mean Restasis? That's for autoimmune caused dry eyes only - it's an immunosuppressant (cyclosporine) and is used for people that have Sjögren's syndrome, RA, lupus, etc where the body is actually destroying the tear ducts. If you just have dry eye due to tear film evaporation it would be useless, and other options like tear duct plugs would probably help you more.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I know what you mean about your eyes getting so dry that your eyelids stick -- I've had that happen, too, and it's a miserable feeling, isn't it?

I used to use Refresh Tears, but the doctor gave me a sample of Systane last year, and I'll never go back! It's wonderful stuff. (Probably not nearly strong enough for you, though.)