New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

raw food

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
What is this talk about raw food please? What is it and why?

Is Tuna bad for my cat? Sardines??
post #2 of 24
Raw food is just that, raw, uncooked. The processing that goes into creating dry and canned pet foods involves very high heats which destroy many nutrients, enzymes and beneficial bacteria contained in the meat. What is destroyed must be added back after processing. It is questionable whether the end result represents a healthy diet for our pets and in fact there is significant evidence that many of these foods are responsible for the chronic ailments our pets are suffering these days (obesity, diabetes, IBD, bladder crystals...)

Also, most processed foods contain ingredients that just aren't appropriate for a species of carnivores (grains, fruits, veggies).

People who feed raw are trying to provide a diet that matches as closely as possible what the pet would eat in the wild. This may involve buying frozen or fresh meats (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, etc) and adding organ meats (liver, heart, etc). It is difficult to really exactly match what they would eat in the wild so some supplements may also need to be added but far less than what is needed for commercially processed foods.

Are you considering feeding raw or are you just asking out of curiosity?

I'll let someone else handle the fishy question...
post #3 of 24
TUNA is a >??? able in a cat diet ... tuna in oil is the worst offender for causeing a vitamin deficiency ... but all sources if used as a staple can cause it OTHER Than CAT specified tuna

FOr many cats RAW will help with issues they may be having ... IT can just like all foods have a inherent danger and is best THROUGHLY researched and then guided by a nutrition minded vet... YES there are folks who do it on their own but I can tell you with my bunch that I am SO SO glad I have a vet with a nutrition degree ...
post #4 of 24
Most cat foods have ingrediants that can't don't need or even shouldn't have.
You can buy a prepared raw diet or make it yoursef.
A raw diet has to be specially prepared but has a lot of benefets.
here are a few sites for you to go through
This one has a video
http://www.mousabilities.com/cats/fo...Today_complete
More detailed
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm
Pics
http://www.catnutrition.org/pictorial.php
post #5 of 24
Cats can have tuna as a treat but it should not be their main diet.

I started researching raw on my own and have had success with it. I also have a vet who believes strongly in it. All of the vets in his office feed their own cats raw food.
In order to do it a person has to understand proper food handling and have a trusted meat source. It is a little extra work in the beginning but in the end it has been worth it.
My cats have never had dental issues, my boys have never had UTIs or crystals and so for me it has been wonderful. It cleared up my cat's IBD.
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by optionken View Post
Most cat foods have ingrediants that can't don't need or even shouldn't have.
You can buy a prepared raw diet or make it yoursef.
A raw diet has to be specially prepared but has a lot of benefets.
here are a few sites for you to go through
This one has a video
http://www.mousabilities.com/cats/fo...Today_complete
More detailed
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm
Pics
http://www.catnutrition.org/pictorial.php
SIDE note EVEN 95% of the pre made raws have UNNEEDED ingredients... Most of these are used as binders yet DO in fact give some nutritional value ... ie the ONLY truly right diet would be to have cats literally hunt every meal in a LIVE format but that is ILLEGAL in some areas and NOT very practical ... see transporting and handling DO have issues with nutrition as CC12 put it
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
I give my cats and dogs raw chicken and red meat. They do not eat veggies or fruit..
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelana View Post
I give my cats and dogs raw chicken and red meat. They do not eat veggies or fruit..
JUST FYI ... I was lectured about DOGS actually needing veggies or a bit of starch in the diet as I was feeding mine like cats with little veggie matter ...ARE you give fresh bone and organs??
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
JUST FYI ... I was lectured about DOGS actually needing veggies or a bit of starch in the diet as I was feeding mine like cats with little veggie matter ...ARE you give fresh bone and organs??
I was told the same thing about dogs. They need veggies.
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
JUST FYI ... I was lectured about DOGS actually needing veggies or a bit of starch in the diet as I was feeding mine like cats with little veggie matter ...ARE you give fresh bone and organs??
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC12 View Post
I was told the same thing about dogs. They need veggies.
Dogs have absolutely no need for veggies in their diet. Some raw feeders put veggies in their pets diet, but I don't think it really does much for them. The idea is a bit outdated and usually when people say they feed RAW, it means just raw meats. People who use veggies usually are feeding the BARF diet, which I'm not a huge fan of because I find veggies and fruits unnecessary.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
Dogs have absolutely no need for veggies in their diet. Some raw feeders put veggies in their pets diet, but I don't think it really does much for them. The idea is a bit outdated and usually when people say they feed RAW, it means just raw meats. People who use veggies usually are feeding the BARF diet, which I'm not a huge fan of because I find veggies and fruits unnecessary.
SORRY but when I did my initial research I thought like you ... but I do trust the one who gave me the info cause amazingly she was able to produce vet journals( natural ones of course ) and the reg vet manual as proof ... DOGS are OMNIVORES just more carnivorous than humans and bears but not like a obligate like a cat ... a wolf diet or a wild dog diet has about 10-15% VEGGIE matter some do naturally include fruits in their diets depending on the terrain
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
SORRY but when I did my initial research I thought like you ... but I do trust the one who gave me the info cause amazingly she was able to produce vet journals( natural ones of course ) and the reg vet manual as proof ... DOGS are OMNIVORES just more carnivorous than humans and bears but not like a obligate like a cat ... a wolf diet or a wild dog diet has about 10-15% VEGGIE matter some do naturally include fruits in their diets depending on the terrain
From what I've heard wolves and wild dogs don't eat veggies in the wild when there is plenty of prey items around nor do they eat the stomach content of their prey. Of course there will be accounts of wolves and wild dogs eating all types of things, but these are usually in times when their normal prey is low. And no smart animal will let itself stave, so of course there are some exceptions to wolves and wild dogs eating veggies and fruits. Our pets will never have to know these 'starving times'. I'm not saying veggies for dogs is a bad thing, I just don't feel they are necessary in an already healthy diet. And I, like you, do trust greatly in the people who give me this information.

I have done A LOT of research also, mind you. But in the end, there are many diffrent ways to feed raw and everyone does it diffrent. If you feel feeding veggies will help, then by all means, do so! I'm not stopping you! I on the other hand, will keep my doggies diets veggie free
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
From what I've heard wolves and wild dogs don't eat veggies in the wild when there is plenty of prey items around nor do they eat the stomach content of their prey. Of course there will be accounts of wolves and wild dogs eating all types of things, but these are usually in times when their normal prey is low. And no smart animal will let itself stave, so of course there are some exceptions to wolves and wild dogs eating veggies and fruits. Our pets will never have to know these 'starving times'. I'm not saying veggies for dogs is a bad thing, I just don't feel they are necessary in an already healthy diet. And I, like you, do trust greatly in the people who give me this information.

I have done A LOT of research also, mind you. But in the end, there are many diffrent ways to feed raw and everyone does it diffrent. If you feel feeding veggies will help, then by all means, do so! I'm not stopping you! I on the other hand, will keep my doggies diets veggie free
lol.. at the many ways.. there are as many ways to feed it as there are dry foods almost ... Just watch your pups .... and make sure they have a fiber source
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelana View Post
I give my cats and dogs raw chicken and red meat. They do not eat veggies or fruit..
that's also what i do
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
lol.. at the many ways.. there are as many ways to feed it as there are dry foods almost ... Just watch your pups .... and make sure they have a fiber source
Don't worry sharky, I will
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
What fruit and veggies do you feed your pets?
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelana View Post
What fruit and veggies do you feed your pets?
greens... kale(caution) , broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinich ... califlower and carrots for the dogs ...

the cats eat some carrots and sweet potato s once in a while
post #18 of 24
I don't feed my cats any veggies or fruit. They have cat grass to nibble and sometimes Mary will steal a cherry or some green veggie but they live on a mostly meat only diet. I do give them some psyllium and some sea greens in their food. But not very much compared to the meat percentage.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelana View Post
What fruit and veggies do you feed your pets?
If you are interested in feeding raw here are 2 *superb* books:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl...8633395&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-Health-H..._bxgy_b_text_b

The first one is by Dr. Elizabeth M. Hodgkins. She is a well respected and well credentialed veterinarian with many years of practical application of what she advocates. Much of the book is about how to prevent and treat chronic illnesses through diet. She advocates either raw or low-carb canned foods.

The second one has a bit more of a "how to" nature with regards to feeding raw although the book is about holistic care for cats in general. The author is meticulous about using authoritative sources for her information.

Both are easy reads. The Hodgkins book will be available in soft bound in Oct.
post #20 of 24
so....would it be okay to give small pieces of raw chicken and beef to my cat for a treat???
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe View Post
so....would it be okay to give small pieces of raw chicken and beef to my cat for a treat???
Sure. If they will accept it as a treat you might have little trouble getting them to eat whole meals of raw.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe View Post
so....would it be okay to give small pieces of raw chicken and beef to my cat for a treat???
YES but monitor the potty after
post #23 of 24
I know there are some people who buy their raw meat from the grocery store but I personally would never do that. The meat in the grocery store is meant to be cooked and it is not handled with the idea that it's going to be fed raw. You don't know what kind of health the animal had and probably it was a poor one. Do any research on how chickens and cattle and pigs are raised and slaughtered and it's horrible.

That's why I like getting my meat from hare-today.com because they raise animals in a more humane and healthier way and they slaughter and handle the meat with the intention of it being fed raw. It gets frozen right away.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezer View Post
I know there are some people who buy their raw meat from the grocery store but I personally would never do that. The meat in the grocery store is meant to be cooked and it is not handled with the idea that it's going to be fed raw. You don't know what kind of health the animal had and probably it was a poor one. Do any research on how chickens and cattle and pigs are raised and slaughtered and it's horrible.

That's why I like getting my meat from hare-today.com because they raise animals in a more humane and healthier way and they slaughter and handle the meat with the intention of it being fed raw. It gets frozen right away.
I completely understand your concern. I had the same concern at first, and still do slightly, but I have heard from people who have fed grocery store meats for years with no problems. I compromise a bit by buying from Whole Foods which I trust *a bit* more to have fresher meats that have been handled properly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food