Cat drooling/kneading...

nekootome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat named Lestat. He's about four now. Ever since he was a kitten he would occasionally knead and drool/suck on fleece blankets. Mainly whenever I'm petting him.. he will start kneading and sucking on only my fleece blankets.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a cat that did this or does anyone know why he does this??

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! Some kitties are kneaders, some droolers, some both, some neither, some depending on their age! My beloved Pandi was a kneader but not a drooler all her life from 5 weeks to 17 years. Sweety was a kneader and became a kneader- drooler around 13. Maia is 2 1/2 and is knead/drool proof
! My experience has been extreme pleasure to attention shown by drooling is a common characteristic with older/senior cats. Kneading is a characteristic developed from premature seperation from their mother, and personal development.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a kneading drooling Aby boy, not exactly a good image for an alpha male stud cat

He loves being rubbed along his mouth/chin and drools away.

Kneading isn't because they were separated too soon, it's a comfort/affection thing.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I know a kneading drooling Aby boy, not exactly a good image for an alpha male stud cat

He loves being rubbed along his mouth/chin and drools away.

Kneading isn't because they were separated too soon, it's a comfort/affection thing.
My Maddox does this, too
He actually kneads my boobs and purrs away! Then he will rub against my hand for me to pet him, and he will drool. What's funny is once I scratch his ear, he shakes his head and drool goes flying everywhere!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I have a kneader drooler earlobe sucker. Yeah at 4 AM its endearing.

Leslie
Ah, Leslie, you caught me with a mouthful - and now I have to wipe down my monitor again!

I often read that kneading is a sign of a too-early separation from mom, but I'm pretty sure that's one of those things that's been repeated so many times it's become set in stone, even though it's not true. Although an early separation might contribute to the possibility a cat becomes a kneader, it's not a full-on cause for it.

All three of my current kitties had their mom until they were 14 weeks old, and all three take great delight in putting pinholes in everything I wear. *sigh* Thank goodness, only one drools while he's doing it. *grin*

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got a good laugh out of that--sorry about the pc screen...

Yes, Harley sucks ear lobes. He gets very mad if I put hoop earrings in because he can't suck, he tries to pull the earrings out. The drooling is actually worse because he rubs it all over your face. The things we do for our pets.

Leslie

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NekoOtome

I have a cat named Lestat. He's about four now. Ever since he was a kitten he would occasionally knead and drool/suck on fleece blankets. Mainly whenever I'm petting him.. he will start kneading and sucking on only my fleece blankets.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a cat that did this or does anyone know why he does this??
All three of my cats drool, but of the three, the lone female is a champion drooler. I love it.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our newest baby (3yo, 15lbs) was a drooler right away when we got him from shelter. It took him 2 months to start kneading, and about 4 months to start drooling and kneading on me.

His main thing is to come to bed in the morning at 4-5am AFTER he has had a GOOD DAY, and set himself into my armpit. He has a particular position he prefers... on the outside of the bed (rather than between us, where his brother sleeps), back legs propped on my belly and head tucked into my arm. Then he'll start his vigorous kneading into the armpit, occasionally somewhat aggressively tucking his head deeper into the arm, purring and drooling away.

Occasionally I have to tickle his cheek to get him swallow his drool - which he luckily most of the time does... He can go on for 20 minutes in total oblivion nowadays, and it seems like this is becoming more and more common as he has settled into the house. In the beginning he got spooked at every little crackle because he worried his brothers would jump him.

After he is done, he usually either leaves (to drink?) or jumps to continue his catnap next to the bed. (I think he gets overheated). Lately he has occasionally baked both of us after taking a little break in-between...

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my older sister has had two cats that were suckers, they'd suck on anything (also liked to chew the teets off of her babies bottles) both were taken from mum too early.
that's why she reaconed that was what caused the sucking on things thing.
her current one is my Mechas sister and mecha doesn't do things like that but if she's been in trouble and seperated from us for a while (mainly back when she'd get up at 4 am and do anything to wake me up) she'll purr like it's to save her life and drool everywhere (and then rub all over my face...YUCK!)

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a kneader, ear-lobe sucker. It was very sweet, but could also get old really fast in the middle of the night!

I think the kneading is an ingrained behavior in cats used to start the mother's milk flowing when they are ready to start feeding. Nuzzle in, knead mommy for a minute, and here comes suppertime.

Some cats carry on with the behavior.

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Marley is a kneader, he does it all the time I've only seen him drool once or twice though. He does it at least once a day, usually on an article of clothing, I guess because it has our sent on it. He loves to knead in the laundry pile. He'll usually do it on the bed before he goes to sleep too. It's really cute, I love it. My other cats kneaded too but they stopped once they got a little older. Marley is 2 1/2 now, I hope he never grows out of it.