Max is finally neutered, but...?

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got Max neutered today. He's 5 months old. I have had money problems and wasn't able to get the speuters done on my kittens as soon as I wanted to. I haven't gotten the females done yet. The after surgery instructions the vet gave me said that cats can still be fertile for 90 days after neutering! I knew that they weren't infertile right away, but I thought it was about two weeks, but 90 days!! I was going to get the girls fixed one at a time over the next 3 months to be able to afford it. But if he can still get them pregnant for 90 days, maybe I need to get them all done at once. I was also hoping not to have to deal with 3 post surgery kittens, since there's lots of monitoring and watching the incision site. What a bummer!
Max is feeling really tired and sleepy, but he's beginning to perk up. He was so lethargic when I first brought him home, that he could just take a couple of steps before he had to lie down and sleep. He's still snoozing quite a bit.
I also forgot to mention that two of the girls have to go in for their final booster shots on the 18th, so I want to wait until they are finished with the shots before I get them in for their surgeries.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope Max feels better soon. Not familiar with the fertility aspect. I am involved in volunteer feral/stray rescue and we are always looking for ways to cut costs. Here is a link that might help with information. You might also ask if your vet will let you set up a payment plan. Many will.

http://www.spayusa.org/

Check with your local shelters about low cost programs. They have options for everyone, even if you did not get your pet there.

Good luck.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GayleMG

I knew that they weren't infertile right away, but I thought it was about two weeks, but 90 days!!
They used to say around 1 month, now it's more commonly known to be 2 months until they are infertile.

If you can afford to I'd get the girls done ASAP, it's best if you fix them before their first heat cycle.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only heard up to 2 months they could. So just keep Max separated from his sisters till they are done. If you want to supervise some play time together - that's fine. Just don't leave him alone with them. Keep your eye on him

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can't she just observe the females and separate if they start to go into heat? Or would it be too late by then?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't have to be in heat to mate and get pregnant. So watching the females for any signs is not a good idea. He can get to them when she's not looking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't separated them yet. Max is still a bit uncomfortable because of surgery. I have a hard time separating them because whenever I try, I just have to open the door to the room where Max is and he rushes out or one of the girls rushes in. They are so fast. I'm going to get the girls done as soon as I can, but I don't have any more money for it until the end of this month.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you can let them have brief encounters but do NOT let them out of your sight. Maybe let them play for no more then 20-30 mins while you are in the room.

Not sure if its 100% foolproof but I've heard that if you prevent the male from biting the neck, he can't complete the mating.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked around for low cost spaying and neutering? I have never paid more then $26 for a neuter and $45 for a spay. There are low cost clinics all over the place.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm using a low cost place. It cost $25 for Max plus the $6 pain shot. I'm planning to take Belle in next Monday. It costs $45 for her and the $6 pain shot. I'm just having trouble coming up with that small amount this month, but I just got a mileage reimbursement from my work and I'm going to use it to pay for Belle's spay. Cyndi and Punky go in on Monday also, but just for their 2nd shots. As soon as possible after that, I'm going to get both of them spayed on the same day.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Have you looked around for low cost spaying and neutering? I have never paid more then $26 for a neuter and $45 for a spay. There are low cost clinics all over the place.
check here: spayTexas
that's how i found the one that opened up here recently.

ETA: oops! missed it by 'that much'

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm already using a low cost place, Cause for Paws. I have actually had a hard time coming up with even those low fees for the last few months. I just found out that the spays are $40, not $45 like I thought, so that helps.
It cost me $31 for Max. It was $25 for the neuter and $6 for the pain shot. Actually, with pain shots the girls will be $46 each. I'm getting one done on Monday and the other two as soon as I get paid again.

Just noticed the Oops. Sorry for repeating myself. BTW the Spay Texas link is pretty cool. I didn't know about it. I found out about Cause for Paws by word of mouth.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All those surgeries really add up, even when you are using a low cost place. I completely understand

I would keep them separate until the females are all spayed or until the neuter is effective. Give him his own bedroom or bathroom and let them play together only under supervision.