Bloodwork w/Reactive lymphocytes

siamesestacey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Louie is 3 and a half. He and brother Willis are litter mates, looking like twins.

Originally, Lou weighed 11 pounds. Willis weighed 10. We took them for vaccines in December. We also had some major home renovations before that, which caused us to move out of our home and stay with my Mom, where Louie sort of hid in her basement most of the time. Still, we took great efforts to make sure he ate well. And he ate both wet and dry food.

Even after the three months out of our house, from Sept. through Dec. 2007, he weighed 11 pounds. Well, when we got back into our house, I noticed his eating patterns changed. He was nervous and couldn't relax or concentrate.

He's stopped eating dry food. When we had their pre-op visit for dental cleanings May 16th Lou's weight was down to 10 pounds. He had lost a pound. A few days later, his weight at the time of the actual procedure was 9pounds 14 ounces. The vet didn't seem concerned and said he would closely check the pre-op bloodwork. Further, he left a message that both blood results were normal.

Well, Lou is now down to 9.6 pounds and even though he eats wet food, he no longer eats dry. Since I'm a paranoid kitty mother, I called the vet and asked them to fax to me both Louie and Willis's pre-op bloodwork so I could look at it.

Louie's bloodwork was pretty normal with the exception of the note that he had reactive lymphocytes.

This little boy is otherwise totally normal. Nothing has changed in his behavior except he is easily distracted when he eats and has gotten quite choosy with what he eats. I've learned he likes a variety.

Still, he's down to 9.6 and I'm scared to death. And he is so afraid of car travel that I hate the thought of a vet visit with bloodwork because it's so stressful to him. I should mention, he used to be a big chowhound that would push his way through at feeding times and was our heaviest cat at 11 pounds.

Anybody have any advice? I'm so stressed because I am so in love with this feline family, I can't imagine life without one of them.

Thanks -

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you mentioned he was having dental cleaning?? perhaps his teeth were uncomfortable before the procedure & possibly even more so after. that would definately make me only want to eat soft food.

just found this on google::::

Reactive lymphocytes are usually associated with viral illnesses, however, they can also be present as a result of drug reactions (such as phenytoin), immunisations, radiation, hormonal causes (such as stress and Addison's disease) as well as some auto-immune disorders (such as rheumatoid arthritis). Some pathogen-related causes include:

Epstein-Barr virus
Cytomegalovirus
Toxoplasma
Treponema pallidum (Syphilis)
Streptococcus agalactiae (Group B Streptococci),
Hepatitis C
Hantavirus[1]

i would definately bring this up with my vet. perhaps you could speak to him on the phone instead of taking another trip. i'm sure the vet would understand.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
The stress of staying at a different house may have caused the original weight loss but
it is very common for a cat that switches to a wet only diet after eating some dry to lose weight. It is usually a healthy thing. You describe him as acting normally so myself, I would not be concerned. I would watch his behavior and keep monitering the weight
You have a good definition of lymphocytes above. Best of luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is 9.6 lb a PROPER wt for him as per a vet >>>?? or was he at ideal @11lbs

I would ask for further bloodwork but I am anal and know it ...

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my vet told me that about 4Kg is a good adult weight, so i think thats about 9lb. if that is the case i'd say your cat was a good weight. my old cat marvin weighed 6.5Kg which is about 14lb & i was told he was 2Kg (4.5lb) overweight (he was 14yrs & HUGE), so on that basis i'd say your cat is probably bang on. if you are worried you could try giving puss a few rich treats every now & then like 1/2 a can of tuna or a little bit of boiled chicken breast. my girls have a sardine each every night or tuna or chicken breast. they love it & have gorgeous healthy coats & are good steady weights (millie is a touch overweight, but she is the laziest cat i have ever met). i think you should enquire re reactive lymphocytes as you are clearly very worried about it. put your mind at rest!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amarna

my vet told me that about 4Kg is a good adult weight, so i think thats about 9lb. if that is the case i'd say your cat was a good weight. my old cat marvin weighed 6.5Kg which is about 14lb & i was told he was 2Kg (4.5lb) overweight (he was 14yrs & HUGE), so on that basis i'd say your cat is probably bang on. if you are worried you could try giving puss a few rich treats every now & then like 1/2 a can of tuna or a little bit of boiled chicken breast. my girls have a sardine each every night or tuna or chicken breast. they love it & have gorgeous healthy coats & are good steady weights (millie is a touch overweight, but she is the laziest cat i have ever met). i think you should enquire re reactive lymphocytes as you are clearly very worried about it. put your mind at rest!!
ALL CATs are DIFFERENT .... some cat are at a IDEAL wt at 7.5 kg s others at 2-3 kgs