Kitten food question

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still a newbie...but has anyone fed their kitten Purina Proplan kitten food? I'm experimenting and picked up a can of this and Pumpkin seems to love it. I feed him alittle of this in the am and pm and leave Nutro dry food out during the day.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about the canned food? I give it to mine a lot and they love it!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not feed Nutro wet, too? I know the Nutro naturals is good, and I'll be feeding their dry food once Holly is an adult.

I think it's great to start out your kitten with some wet food early in life. It can be very good for them to eat some. We haven't tried the wet Purina kitten foods, but did try the dry when I brought Holly home (and forgot to buy kitten food before hand!) and she hated it. You can probably find a better quality for the price wet food, if she will try some.

My kitten shares Science Diet or Sheba wet food with Kitty (it's all Kitty can stomach) and they free feed on Innova's EVO all life stage dry food (a really great food, and they love it).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed Royal Canin kitten (or will). Charlie ate it and baby Jack will too. I'll just give the kitten the regular adult canned foods.

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would never feed my cats anything Purina makes, or any brand of cat food I can find in a superstore or grocery store. I don't think their worth the money, don't like the ingredients and think there are better options out there.

Good luck with finding a good kitty food!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minion

Personally, I would never feed my cats anything Purina makes, or any brand of cat food I can find in a superstore or grocery store. I don't think their worth the money, don't like the ingredients and think there are better options out there.

Good luck with finding a good kitty food!
I don't either. I think some brands are finally getting with the program and offering better choices than they used to. I feed Wellness kitten to my kittens and don't feed any dry at all.

Proplan has way too many grains. Corn meal and soy are the 2nd and 3rd ingredients. Which means they are using vegetarian protein sources which cats don't need. Corn, soy and wheat are heavy duty allergens. Plus it says 'animal' fat. What kind of animal? Way too vague in my opinion.
I would try Petco or Petsmart and look for a mid level affordable food that fits your budget but doesn't have allergens in it. P

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to check out this article:

Cat Food Reviews

It's short, sweet, to the point...and not biased toward price snobbery. It DOES make the point that you should buy the best food you can afford, and that there are real differences in pet foods. It gives Purina Pro Plan good marks, although they rank it in the "low-to-moderate-priced" foods. This article has two links in it to discuss higher-priced foods, and the different types of foods and the reasoning behind them.

A crucial point is to choose a food that your cat will eat. Cats DO have preferences. Punkin will eat next to nothing, although I DID see him eating out of Ella and Sterling's bowl this morning, instead of his own. This is promising; their food is less fattening than his, and he could use some weight control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

Are you talking about the canned food? I give it to mine a lot and they love it!
YES..the canned food....he loves it....by the way, I love your cats name, Omelet..sooo cute