Jordan's vet trip today

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well today was the day I kept putting off. Jordan went to the vet. As it turns out his eye was no big deal at all. He has a catarac. The vet said there is a possibilty that there is also some calcification in his eye due to his elevated blood calcium. As far as his increased urination. They did a quick urinalysis and it turned out fine other than his urine being dilute. So I'm waiting for a blood test, and a urine culture to see if they can find any reason for the increase. it could bee that his blood calcium is out of wack again and that is why he is urinating more. I'm hoping that it shows nothing, so thanks all for the vibes about his eye & no he just needs some vibes for his other test.
Fingers crossed everything comes back normal.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Fingers crossed everything comes back normal.
I will join with you .....
Jordan

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sooo glad his eye wasnt nearly as bad as you thought it was, and fingers crossed it is something simple causing his urine problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I have to say the catarac explains a little bit of his behavior changes. The big one is I used to be able to say Jordan up & he would jump up into my arms. Well he stoped doing that. The fact that he has a catarac explains why he doesn't want to do it anymore. He probably can't see me well enough to feel safe jumping up anymore.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Can they easily remove cataracs like they can in humans?
I don't think so, but I didn't ask. The vet said they do see cataracs in cats, but cats generally don't develop complete catarcs like dogs do. So I think his depth perception may be a little off. His other eye is fine and the vet said they have dogs paitients that are totally blind and do just fine.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up my voice mail this afternoon to get some of the best news I've heard in a long time. Jordan's blood tests were better than they have been in a long time. His kidney & liver values remain in the normal range
And even better than that his blood calcium level is back down into the normal range. It was 10.4
i couldn't believe it. I'm not sure exactly where that falls in the range of values, but the vet said he is within the normal range.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so pleased to hear this, it is absolutely wonderful news.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say he is an amazing guy. I'm preety sure he has used up all of his 9 Lives by now. Back in November the vet said, "Yeah, he seems to keep bouncing back from all of his problems." Last night he was even trying to play with the other cats (much to Maggie's dismay). I can tell he's feeling preety good right now.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still can't believe how well he is doing. I talked to the vet yesterday & 10.8 is the top end of normal. So he is still sort of on the high end of normal, but he has not been in the normal range since last August. So I'm going to give it a couple months & retest his blood calcium, then if he is continuing to go down, I will try lowing his pred dosage. I just don't want to screw up what is going on right now. The vet said Ideally he should be around 8-9 before we try lowering his dose. It is so strange because a year ago the vet was preparing me to lose him, now the vet is saying he is doing really well. I don't know what made the difference, but I'm happy. It could be the Weruva, or it could be that he has not had any lactulose in several weeks. He hasn't needed it though. He is going at least every other day. I just want to thank you all for all the support you guys have given me. I know sometimes I worry about silly things, but you guys never made me feel stupid for worrying. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!