Kitten coughing - not URI

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my foster kittens, Sergey, has been coughing a bit the last couple of weeks - it's a dry, hairball sort of cough, but he's shorthaired and doesn't seem to groom himself that much. I see him do it no more than a couple of times a day. His eyes and nose are clear, so I don't believe it's a URI.

He and sister are confined to one room of my house, and have been for the last 5 weeks, they've only had their first kitten vaccinations, but I don't think it would be distemper, because he's healthy and active otherwise.

This is the same kitten I posted about a few days ago who was straining - he just a wee with no roblem, and their litter boxes have as much feces and urine clumps as I would expect from 2 kittens.

They're not getting any tinned food at the moment since Sergey had his diarrhea bout, they are just getting Eukanuba Chicken and Rice kitten formula.

Any idea what else could cause a cough? I am wondering if it could be food related - he had no problems at all until I changed over to the Eukanuba (from Purina Kitten Chow). The Eukanuba is higher quality, but maybe there's something in it that he's allergic to??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may have asthma or allergies ...

IMHO kitten chow is = to eukanuba ... DO you still have both bags?? if so compare ingrediants one may have a grain or meat the other does not

Have you talked with a vet ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first bunch of ingredients for the Kitten Chow is:

Poultry by-product meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, soy flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, brewers dried yeast, wheat flour, phosphoric acid

And the Eukanuba is:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)

Maybe I'll transition them over to the Felidae which is supposedly for cats and kittens, and see if it makes a difference.

And no, I haven't talked to a vet, I guess a vet visit will be in order just to check him over.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

The first bunch of ingredients for the Kitten Chow is:

Poultry by-product meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, soy flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, brewers dried yeast, wheat flour, phosphoric acid

And the Eukanuba is:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E)

Maybe I'll transition them over to the Felidae which is supposedly for cats and kittens, and see if it makes a difference.

And no, I haven't talked to a vet, I guess a vet visit will be in order just to check him over.
Felidea is WAY WAY better

the pink are my thought s.. the cat chow has only corn gluten not two kinds of ground corn and animal fat could be anything

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alright - bye bye Eukanuba!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thought I'd post again - I have pretty much completed the change over to Felidae dry food, and his poop is nice and solid again, and I haven't heard him cough again. I haven't been able to spend as much time in the room with him, but DH has also been keeping an ear out, and he hasn't heard anything either.

So we're putting it down to something in the food he didn't agree with, or just something that was irritating him short term.