One of my Kittens

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet said my kitten was a blue point but has manx in her, her tail is very manx.........she is not a full of any breed she was born to a tortie alley cat. What makes them a either seal point or blue point????
K.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pointed gene is recessive. Both parents either have to carry the pointed gene or actually show it. It can hide for generations and not show up right away.

If the mother is not a manx, then maybe the father was. But both parents had to be carrying pointed for it to show up in the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I got the gene thing, and her mother was busy with 3 Tom cats that I saw, a Orange tabby, I have 2 boys who look like him, and she was busy with a black and white, I have a kitten to match him, and last Pigglet, her father was the dark siamese looking male I saw her with, I am guessing.
What look makes them seal or blue. Is it the blue eyes??
K.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All pointed cats have blue eyes, far as I'm aware.

Seal is a dark chocolatey brown color on the points, blue is more of a gray-steel color...

Hennessy's a seal bi-color if that helps (his little mask is the 'pointed' part.
)

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

All pointed cats have blue eyes, far as I'm aware.

Seal is a dark chocolatey brown color on the points, blue is more of a gray-steel color...

Hennessy's a seal bi-color if that helps (his little mask is the 'pointed' part.
)
WHOOOHA!!
Thanks a bunch!! She is a steel silvery color, with blue eyes, not the rich brown like her dad, or what I think is her dad.
K.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seal point is the equivalant of "black"
Blue point is the dilute of seal point. So not only was the pointed gene recessive, both parents were /or carrying the dilute gene too.

What a mixed up litter - more then likely there was more then one father of those kittens, if not a different one for each kitten

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Seal point is the equivalant of "black"
Blue point is the dilute of seal point. So not only was the pointed gene recessive, both parents were /or carrying the dilute gene too.

What a mixed up litter - more then likely there was more then one father of those kittens, if not a different one for each kitten
Like I said....we have 3 Toms on the block, one is a Orange Tabby, one is a Black & White tux, and the other is a Chocolate siamese looking guy. If you drive down our alley way, you will see kittens of other strays in the same color combo as mine. The mother of my kittens was a busy gal, I saw her with all 3 toms before she had this litter.
Oh well! Mine are all fixed, and indoors. And I thank all of you for helping me to understand what makes one blue from seal.
K.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manx is a particular and fairly uncommon breed of cat originating in the Isle of Man that can be tail-less (or have a short tail, a stump, or a full tail also), but a kitten being born tail-less or with a short tail doesn't mean that the kitten is part Manx, it's a genetic abnormality like having extra toes and can crop up in Domestics that have no Manx in their background. Most tail-less or short tailed cats have no Manx ancestry, and it takes more than being tail-less to make a cat Manx - size, headshape, body type, coat etc.

Please excuse my pedantry, it is one thing I excel at