WARNING!!!! upsetting picture . how can we stop this cruelty

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friends son and his mates have just come back from a holiday in thialand they showed me this pic at first i thought what a beautiful pic until i looked closer ,
these beautiful cats are chained to the ground and drugged just so people can have their pic's taken with them , the lads said they are wild but because they are drugged so much one of the lads laid with the cat with his head next to it and his arm around it , this has upset me finding out that this is going on but i dont know where to start to get anything done about it so i thought i would come and ask here , this beautiful beautiful cat should be out in the wild not chained and drugged for humans pleasure .

here is the pic that has upset me so much

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by prettypusscat

they are drugged so much one of the lads laid with the cat with his head next to it and his arm around it
And sadly, the more people keep having their pictures taken with these poor animals, the more they'll keep them in this drugged up, chained state

It's for reasons such as this that i'll never ever go to countries such as Thailand or China

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

me too.

amazes me that people are so ignorant in this day and age to think that seeing a wild creature like that is acceptable.

those poor creatures.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG That poor cat... This is why I dislike those countries so much. They are beyond cruel. It makes me so mad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where people are all from who are saying they don't like China and Thailand where they do this.... but they do this in the US too! Circus's are basically the same idea, animals chained up and drugged to learn silly little tricks to perform. Also at county fairs you sometimes see the booth where you can have your picture taken with a bear or a lion or something. This happens all over.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I don't know where people are all from who are saying they don't like China and Thailand where they do this.... but they do this in the US too! Circus's are basically the same idea, animals chained up and drugged to learn silly little tricks to perform. Also at county fairs you sometimes see the booth where you can have your picture taken with a bear or a lion or something. This happens all over.
Jen, I don't know where you get this information from. Circus's (in the USA) do not drug their cats. They are born and raised in captivity and form a bond with their trainers from the start.(They do not use animals taken from the wild) As for the fairs in the USA, you can have a picture taken with a CUB up to 3 months of age, but not an adult cat or bear. That is a direct violation of USDA law.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John, I know you love big cats with a passion. It is evident in the way you treat your lovable cats and the way they love you back.

However, the same cannot be said for all circuses. Granted, I do not live in the USA, but circuses all around the world, as well as animal shows are a direct violation of a wild animal's instincts and natural behaviour. The very fact that these magnificent creatures are doomed to a life in captivity right from their birth is sad.

A lot of such shows (at least in Singapore where I can attest to this) claim that they are making animals perform to show audience the animals' natural behaviour, how intelligent they are, how strong they are etc etc... I cannot for the life of me understand how showing a tiger jumping through hoops on command, or making a lion succumb to letting a trainer put his head into its jaws is considered education.

Then there's the way they train these animals. I'm pretty sure pain and starvation are used, maybe not in ALL cases, but at least a few. And through all the mental and physical torture that these animals go through, NOTHING educational comes out of this.

The best way to stop this is through education. Educating people about what goes on behind the scenes and hope that over the years, decades, centuries even, people eventually stop watching these shows... Governments become more enlightened (like Britain, which has banned oceanariums, circuses and so on). If one wishes to see wild animals, what would make more sense than seeing it in something that is close to its natural habitat, exhibiting its natural behaviour? There are safaris and wildlife sanctuaries that offer just that.

And of course, the most important thing is for us humans to protect the environment and save these animals' natural habitat.

"Save the Rainforest" may sound like a cliched plea from treehuggers, but we can all do our part in doing just that.. Simply by using recycled paper, buying wooden furniture that does not come from protected forests and so on.

There's so much we can do, but it would take a long long time. The first step is to accept and recognise that there IS cruelty toward animals, and it takes different forms... Worst of all, cruelty occurs behind closed doors that the general public may not know of.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

i'm from the uk where this kind of thing doesn't happen. obviously we have circuses but there is strict monitoring to hopefully ensure the animals are happy and healthy. to my knowledge far more cruelty takes place by members of the public here.

i personally would chose not to go to a country where i knew there was a strong possibilty that i would witness some form of cruelty whether it be at markets (babywukong i know you described graphically in another part of the forum how dogs are treated in some parts of asia) or animals being used as some form of sick entertainment.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I don't know where people are all from who are saying they don't like China and Thailand where they do this.
Chaining and drugging animals isn't the main reason. Go into IMO and find threads that have been started on how these countries treat the cats and dogs and you'll see why people don't want anything to do with them, and i don't think the US don't fit into that bracket either.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a big fan of circuses either. There have been plenty of exposes about the mistreatment of some of the animals. I am sure there are good owners and bad owners but I am not into it. I prefer wildlife refuges, safaris and sanctuaries. I find them to be more humane.

Intellectually I understand why in countries where people aren't treated properly that animals are treated even worse but the rest of me just feels disgusted. Tigers chained and drugged for the pleasure of a tourist is obscene.
But Thailand also has a reputation for human trafficking and underage prostitution where the parents sell their daughter's to brothels. I prefer to skip these places when I travel

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Going home last night i pass a large moor in town where i work. There were posters up advertising the Chinese state circus coming to town
Sorry, I may have been mistaken but I thought UK has banned circuses?

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

obviously we have circuses but there is strict monitoring to hopefully ensure the animals are happy and healthy.
i want to retract that statement.

i have since done some research and it appears there are only 35 animals left in UK circuses. the RSPCA is calling for a ban on all non-domesticated animals being used in circuses. the bornfree foundation is also involved in this.

unfortunately i showed my ignorance by writing the above statement without fully checking out the facts.

i have never been to an animal circus and certainly never would.

aliciahorsley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm from malaysia, just south of thailand. this kind of thing appalls me too but in countries where people's lives are barely worth anything, where children are bought and sold like bolts of cloth, the welfare of mute beasts is unlikely to be any better.

if you had to choose between prostituting yourself to feed your child and drugging an innocent animal, i think few can honestly say the the latter is unthinkable.

it's just tragic all round

thekitteh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I come from Australia and circuses are not banned with animals but I believe that all circuses that do have animal acts are thoroughly checked over.

I like circuses with animals but if they mistreat animals I want to make sure they never be in the circus business again! You can have a animal circus as long as they don't mistreat the animals. It would be difficult yes, but it could be done. You don't need an animal to fear you in order for it to do tricks. Just look at clicker training. Most animals enjoy doing tricks as it keeps them stimulated.

I don't like it how some circuses mistreat their animals and well I have not been to a circus in years.