possible pooping problems?

mike&becky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
our 1 y.o. cat has been puking near her litter box. the puke is a nearly clear/yellow fluid. now i read somewhere that if cats are having trouble poopin that they would puke from the stress of trying, usually close to their littler box.

now we do have some stool softener that i could attempt to give her, but shes got to come out of hiding to let me try.

should i just let it go and see how she is in the morning? this only really started maybe 3 hours ago (time she first puked).

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to see a vet. A cat that is vomiting and hiding may signal a bigger issue. I would hesitate to treat her until you know what the issue is.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The advise you were given is generally misguided imo. Trying to address her vomiting by dealing with her poop is like trying to.....hmmm thinking of an analogy....is like trying to fix an airplane's wings by fiddling with its engines.

She needs a vet.

Oh, and there are two ways to take a cat to a vet, 1) early for probably little money if its a reputable vet, or 2) later, after delaying for LOTS of money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike&becky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when i woke up this morning, she seemed fine... back to her normal self... and she was drinking and eating... i didnt happen to see if there was anything in the litter box and didnt feel like digging through it...

we took her to the vet and they gave her a look (boy she gets feisty at the vet
). but anyways, everything seemed fine, the doctor said she didnt feel any blockage and gave her a few shots (Centrine and Depomedrol). we also talked a bit about what couldve caused her stomach to become upset. we are doing some remodeling here at home and a majority of the work was done earlier yesterday so it couldve just been the stress of everything being in disarray.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For an upset stomach (if you are sure that's the problem) I give 1/4 tab of pepci ac and it can be given 2x a day.It can not be plain pepcid it must be pepcid ac. Vets also have injectable pepcid ac if that is your style.
For constipation You can sprinkle some over the counter miralax over the food
Best of luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

For an upset stomach (if you are sure that's the problem) I give 1/4 tab of pepci ac and it can be given 2x a day.It can not be plain pepcid it must be pepcid ac. Vets also have injectable pepcid ac if that is your style.
For constipation You can sprinkle some over the counter miralax over the food
Best of luck
DO NOT give ANY animal any medication prior to running it past a vet ... as each animal is different ( yes pepsid is a common tummy aid in a cat with a CHRONIC illness )

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Caring for one's companion animals is a very serious responsibility, and often, in light of that concern, members will create threads seeking information from other members. While we allow and encourage expression of opinions and the recounting of personal experiences, it is the forum's official position that no online advice can ever supercede or replace the care and advice of trained medical professionals who have first hand knowledge of the individual animal's condition. We strongly urge members to refrain from advocating the practice of using any meds, especially OTC ones, without seeking medical advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mike&becky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dont worry, i would never give any of my cats any medicine with out consulting a veterinarian first...

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mike&becky

dont worry, i would never give any of my cats any medicine with out consulting a veterinarian first...
That's great. Just wanted to be sure.