Friskies + Dry or no Friskies?

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I've been feeding my kitty Friskies wet food at first but I've read that it's not a good food so I switched to Nutro Natural Mix which is a premium brand. Unfortunately, the cost is a dollar for a 3oz can which is really adding up. I am also currently feeding my kitty Science Diet dry food all day to graze. I know it's not the best dry but I bought a 27lb bag when it was on a big sale so I don't want to waste it or give it away. My question is this: since my kitty really loves friskies, should I just start feeding her just all dry or should I give her friskies along with dry? Feeding premium wet food can really get costly fast and I cannot afford a dollar a can anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about just upgrading to a premium dry and feeding it just that with no wet? Are there any other cheap wet foods that are relative cheap out there?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DO you want cheap cheap or moderate like .70 cents for 5.5 oz??

IMHO I would do a mid grade dry with mid grade wet ...

Mid grade
look at meow mix , iams ( some are good ) , authority

DO you have access to a BIG box pet store ???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Which mid grade wet do you guys recommend? Keep in mind that my kitty loves the chunky type of food, not the formula food which is like a paste.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Nutro Natural Choice products. None of those yucky by-products, wheat or soy. The protein comes from meat mostly and not vegetarian choices.

They carry them at Petco and Petsmart if I recall correctly.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our boys are currently eating Nutro Max cat wet and dry and doing great on them. Their coats have improved so much since adding the wet and we really like the combo. They are both about 9 lb cats and to feed them the Max cat wet and dry for a month its only costing us about $20 which I find very affordable--even on one salary currently. Petsmart puts Nutro on sale almost every 2-3 months so we try and buy accordingly. I bought 3 cases of wet, I think, last time and the 5.5 oz cans were on sale for 40 cents a piece.

Only issue you'd have with Nutro 5.5 oz cans is they are all pate style, so are authority brands. My boys will only eat pate style.

Leslie

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would feed the friskies, as some wet is better then none. Maxximum Nutrition dry from Walmart isn't horrible if your on a budget (and probably better then Science Diet)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

DO you want cheap cheap or moderate like .70 cents for 5.5 oz??

IMHO I would do a mid grade dry with mid grade wet ...

Mid grade
look at meow mix , iams ( some are good ) , authority

DO you have access to a BIG box pet store ???
Originally Posted by dN-WaKE

Which mid grade wet do you guys recommend? Keep in mind that my kitty loves the chunky type of food, not the formula food which is like a paste.
the brands sharky mentioned are mid-grade wet foods. Authority is Petsmarts brand, & it's the wet i feed. MeowMix wet is available at supermarkets - it's fish heavy, so i don't use it [Chip is prone to UTI] but it's a decent quality - especially for a supermarket brand. but i think the Authority is a better price. supermarkets also usually carry Iams wet, but again - i think Authority is cheaper [it's a 6 ounce can, solid pate style]. i feed the mid-grade wet w/a higher quality kibble, since i have 2 dry-only eaters.

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat 9 lives wet, and purina one dry (indoor formula with hairball control). Are these two good?

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maddox's Mom

I feed my cat 9 lives wet, and purina one dry (indoor formula with hairball control). Are these two good?
From what I understand 9 Lives isn't good at all, your better off feeding Friskies (they are the same price I think)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by *Pepper*

From what I understand 9 Lives isn't good at all, your better off feeding Friskies (they are the same price I think)
Pretty much all the grocery's are identical in ingredients ... so I would dare say they are = except some friskies have less by products but more grains

maddox's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on wet food, then? I'm almost out of 9 Lives, so I'm going shopping in a few days.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
at the grocery .. natural life , meow mix and iams are likely the best bets some grocerys have brandon farms which is very good

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Pretty much all the grocery's are identical in ingredients ... so I would dare say they are = except some friskies have less by products but more grains
I was going by what I read in this thread
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...light=friskies

Seems 9 lives has Dyes and Animal Digest and Friskies doesn't, that would make a big difference for me.

Any suggestions on wet food, then? I'm almost out of 9 Lives, so I'm going shopping in a few days.
Of course if you can afford better, go for it! Meow mix would be a better choice for you if you can only shop at the grocery store. If you have a Petsmart or Petco, we can give better choices.