Isaac Hayes Died

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isaac Hayes died today
He was pronounced dead at one of the hospitals here in Memphis (the one i was born in actually). I was so sad to hear the news today
I have had the pleasure of meeting him on several occassions- he was always such a warm, gentle guy- so sweet! He has made such a huge impact on the music industry not only in this area, but all over too. I spent several years as a music industry major when i was in college- and he was always mentioned as such an icon.

He also used to have an amazing resturant downtown in the Peabody Place mall - Colin and I used to go there all of the time before it closed (i'm not sure if they're going to reopen it or not now -it closed a few months back sadly!)- not only was the food and the staff amazing there- but he used to have some of the most amazing singers in there too- even Ruby Wilson (for you blues fans!)

From his music, to his resturants, to television - He was such a talented guy -he will truely be missed!!!

Every Memphian i know right now is so upset over his passing
The world lost a wonderful, very talented man today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_isaac_hayes

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww that is sad
sucks more that his wife found him

Gasp! who will play the voice of chef from south park now

May he RIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

aww that is sad
sucks more that his wife found him

Gasp! who will play the voice of chef from south park now

May he RIP
I feel so bad for his family- that had to have been aweful

He hasn't played the voice of chef for a while. From what i understand, he left after they made a crack at his religion (scientology).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sad. I have heard of him but am not really familiar with his work.

According to that linked article, it says he had just finished "Soul Men" who also starred Bernie Mac, who died yesterday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I couldnt believe it. It seems it was his heart from what they said on the news. His poor wife.
I almost didn't believe it at first eithor. I was so sad to hear the news

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

How sad. I have heard of him but am not really familiar with his work.

According to that linked article, it says he had just finished "Soul Men" who also starred Bernie Mac, who died yesterday.
You should look up some of his stuff sometime Linda, he was very talented
I read about his movie with Bernie Mac in that article as well. All i can say is Ironic!!! We lost two wonderful entertainers in the span of two days. Very sad.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so sad to hear this. Two great people taken so soon.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember telling my dad when Richard Pryor died. I thought twice about telling him Isaac died because my dad is 66 and his heart isn't doing too well since his heart attack 1 1/2 years ago. Isaac Hayes was one of his favorite jazz artists, along with Stanley Turrentine and Grover Washington, Jr.

I grew up listening to the SHAFT soundtrack (among other jazz artists) and is one of my favorite albums. I had always had a dream of getting him to play at my wedding to surprise my dad.

Music is being made in heaven today...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked him a lot. One of the great icons of my youth was the cover of his album, "Hot Buttered Soul," which had a closeup overhead view of his bald head gleaming in the sun!
Great sense of humor, and of course, great music.