Tuna from a can?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the nutrients are likely not there for cats, but is it bad to feed them a can of human tuna once in awhile?

When I was with my ex she use to feed her cat a can from time to time. maybe once a month as a treat. I just wondered if that's OK.

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give mine tuna for special occasions, like Christmas & Thanksgiving. One of my cats Blue loves it Marley, my other one won't touch it, in fact he tries to bury it. I've also recently been giving it to Blue because she is having some kind of medical issue and is in need of protein. I don't give it to them a lot but I think once in a while is fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not give them any more then a small bite or two - not the entire can of tuna. And only as a treat.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I give my girls a little bite, like 1/2 teaspoon, when I'm fixing tuna for myself. They love it, but I wouldn't give them the whole can.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I know the nutrients are likely not there for cats, but is it bad to feed them...human tuna...
For an answer to that, do an "advanced" Google search, and select "this exact wording or phrase": Steatitis (Yellow Fat Disease) in Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm glad I asked, I was just about to go to wal-mart and get a couple cans. I don't eat tuna. but was trying to think of a nice treat.

I have a hard time doing this. The hard part is finding something both cats like. I bought these Feline Greenies (treats) and at first it looked like both were crazy about them. But then the little girl chewed up two and spit them out on my desk. From then on she just licks them to death.

The little boy digs em. but I feel guilty because tinker can't enjoy it.

So the hunt continues for a mutual treat.

Well, they DO both like butter!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's weird about your male and female and the Greenies. Ling (female) will not eat them, Charlie (male) will gobble them up

Also if you want another suggestion for a treat, what about a small bite of block cheese?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she licks them, then I'd let her do it! I just wish I could find any treat that Punkin would eat. He doesn't like anything. Not cheese, not tuna, not raw or cooked chicken, not steak, nothing. It's amazing he ever grew up.

Sterling, on the other hand, as I mentioned before would eat rocks, if they smelled right.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

If she licks them, then I'd let her do it! I just wish I could find any treat that Punkin would eat. He doesn't like anything. Not cheese, not tuna, not raw or cooked chicken, not steak, nothing. It's amazing he ever grew up.

Sterling, on the other hand, as I mentioned before would eat rocks, if they smelled right.
my rb boy sinbad was a bit like punkin. he would refuse any meats or fish we would offer him. the only thing he went crazy for were thomas seafood cat treats. my 3 all love them too.

sterling would get on well with shinobi, i think his 'i'm full' switch has tripped out!