We're New to this(cont)..Somethings happening!!!

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had started a thread a few weeks ago titled "this is our first litter, we're new to this". At that time i was guessing that Jasmine was around 6 weeks. I'm thinking i may have been up she might have been closer to seven. Anyway, she has been acting really weird! Yesterday she was stretching a lot and rolling around. She stretched herself up the wall and started scratching it. Last night every hour i woke up to her either licking my face and meowing forever or opening my dresser drawers and pulling my clothes out to get into them and lie down (never has done that before). Her tummy when i posted the last thread measured 17 inches...it is now 19 inches. I made her a "nesting" box. I will attach links to the pictures below. There is a before and after pic of it. It has a little door i can take on and off so i can have access to her during birthing but put back so the kittens cant roll out or anything. On the bottom of the box i put polyfil (like in pillows) i covered that and sealed it so none of it could come out with flat push pins. then i covered the box in towels so its nice and comfy for her. She was very curious the whole time i was working on it. Right when i finished she went in and layed down. She loved it! Sorry getting off track...anywho...so ya she is acting weird...but i felt her nipples nothing discharging from them...however around the nipples feels very full like possibly milk might have come in...So basically i need some info if anyone is willing to give it. And please take a look at the pictures. There are some of her last night and her nesting box i made. Let me know if its ok? Thanks!!!!!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...0808082234.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...0808082217.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture024.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...box_before.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture026.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture033.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture034.jpg

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she might be closer then you think. My Meeko wanted Coco with her and was meowing alot teh night before she had Yoshi. Sh hated Coco because she didnt know her. Then she went in labor and they became best friends. I would watch your cat because she could be going in labor. Coco was still nursing her kittens when Meeko went in labor. Coco had in the laundry in te bath tub instead of her box. Meeko had in her box. I am trying to remember so I can help you. Its been 6 years. Is there any discharge yet? She may not like the top on the box when she has them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's really close

But here's a better suggestion for the nesting box - I do like your basic idea.

Get two pillowcases. Put newspaper in one, towels in the other. The one with newspaper is the one that goes in first to help absorb the blood, etc. when she is giving birth. After she is all thru, then switch the pillowcases to the one with the towel/soft blanket in it.

The reason you want to be using pillowcases rather then just a towel/blanket is that the tiny kitten nails will not get caught in the fabric. They will get snagged with a blanket/towel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, nothing yet. I did change the towels in the "nesting" area to a pillow case. She's actually been spending more time under my computer desk then her thing i spent forever on
My luck...Its fine. I have my mom on call right now just in case something happens over night (she's a nurse and has delivered kittens several times). I'm a bit worried because i haven't felt too much kicking lately and she hasnt been eating much...can this be bad?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the kittens get bigger, the pressure they put on the mom's stomach can cause a decrease in appetite. And as they shift around, getting ready for delivery, it can put even more pressure on the stomach.

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, nothing yet...Im getting so anxious! My mom came over last night because i was worried that something was wrong and she told me "she isnt even that big" But they dont always get huge when its their first litter right??? And i know for sure that she is right around 59-62 days. No discharge as of yet. But i continue to check. My closet has three options for nests now. The one i had before minus the towels (now its a pillow case with newspapers), A plain cardboard box with newspaper at the bottom (like the one i saw in the video of the births on here), and a basket lined with newpaper and pillow cases. As far as her behaviors go, she isnt trying to get up to high places anymore, she actually has either been on my bed or under my desk. She has been missing the litter box quite frequently by a few inches (when she goes #2) I dont know if this is because she isn't aware of her size anymore??? Oh and one quick question...I always used to rub her belly cause she loved it...but ive been avoiding it cause i didnt want to hurt the babies or her...well last night i rubbed it and she was in heaven!!!! She literally had her legs straight up the air and was purring so loud! And one last things she is stretching alot! She'll put her front legs out in front of her and stretch then put her back legs out and it almost looks like she is doing kitty yoga
I dont know i guess I'm just super anxious and super excited! Any advice feel free to shoot

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing behavior wise i forgot to add...I keep coming home to and being woken up to the following behavior as shown in the pictures below. She keeps opening my drawers and pulling my clothes out. Im assuming this is "Nesting"? But thats not a safe place correct? Should i tape my drawers shut or take the clothes out and line the inside of it?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I know just how you feel. My first thread here was, "Overdue cat?" and then my cat had 8 kittens that night! But if she's 59 - 62 days, you could have a good week to 10 days left.

The one thing I've learned here is that cats all act very differently when going into labor. Some have lots of signs, and some act totally normal (like my cat) until they actually have them. Just relax, keep an eye on her, and don't stress, because she'll probably pick up on that.

Don't worry, she'll have them at 4 in the morning before you have to go to work most likely!

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya I know what you mean..LOL I wouldnt say stressed just overly excited!!!! I cant wait to see my babies...babies
ha ha i think im more ready for them to come then she is...I swear i already love them and they arent even born yet...and i love her little tummy! You can see the little bulges in the picture above (arent they adorable). One other thing that might be why im analyzing every single behavior i have never observed before is because i am am a behaviorist
That and i just want to make sure she is stress free and comfortable...ha ha maybe a little OCD on my end. But, i know she loves me
One quick question though....i thought that a queens (yup im learning the terminology) gestation period was 61-69 days. With 69 days being very rare! Would't that put her at any day now?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jasmine06

Ya I know what you mean..LOL I wouldnt say stressed just overly excited!!!! I cant wait to see my babies...babies
ha ha i think im more ready for them to come then she is...I swear i already love them and they arent even born yet...and i love her little tummy! You can see the little bulges in the picture above (arent they adorable). One other thing that might be why im analyzing every single behavior i have never observed before is because i am am a behaviorist
That and i just want to make sure she is stress free and comfortable...ha ha maybe a little OCD on my end. But, i know she loves me
One quick question though....i thought that a queens (yup im learning the terminology) gestation period was 61-69 days. With 69 days being very rare! Would't that put her at any day now?
You're probably right, although I always think on the late end of the spectrum. I think 63 (9 weeks) is a pretty good average. Some breeders know that their cat always deliver on day 67, etc. but it's so hard to even know what day they were bred as well...

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i finally sat down and started thinking and putting together the dates. I know that i went and picked her up from my parents on the 29th. And i remembered my dad calling me really early in the morning one morning on his way to work saying the cat got out. So hmmm what can i do to find out the day that my dad called me at an odd hour??
>My phone log< DING DING DING! So the date of conception is...........June 28,2008! The only day that my father called me at 4:00am. Wow was i off!!!!! I guess i just wanted them to be here sooner than later
So Jasmine is officially as of today 49 days pregnant. Making her due date i'm assuming anywhere from Aug 27-Sep 5. Hmmmm I dont know what else to say...I guess Ill have to take a chill pill

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are three so you have some extras for next time you she acts funny. They are from my own personal stash.

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL
Thanks I'm sure I'll be needing those later! I'm actually much more relaxed now that i know we aren't as close as I thought...The only bummer is, we were going on vacation Aug 27-Sept 1st. I'm canceling that today...it's ok Ill be gaining something much more important

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking forward to the pictures. The waiting is hard but you will feel so much better being there. If you were away you would worry all of the time I am sure.
You may need the vacation when the kittens get old enough to get into things and get rambunctious. I love all 8 of mine but boy do they get into mischief.

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it looks like we have around a week left. So, Jasmine has all of a sudden taken up a fascination with my flip flops (see picture below). Its actually hilarious to me because she cuddles with them and loves them and lays on them. Its so cute! I'm thinking she likes the elevation (about and inch and a half) it gives her from the pressure on the tummy. Oh and i can feel them move like crazy now! I think i felt 3...I'll keep the updates coming. If i notice any discharge or the mucus plug or anything of that matter
Thanks guys you all have been absolutely wonderful!!!

jasmine06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today is 60 days into Jasmines pregnancy. She is def. ready, poor baby she is huge!!! Walking or should i say waddling funny. And when she lies down now she is putting her back legs out or pretty much lying on her back. She bit me today...which she really hasnt ever done unless it was playfully...she said sorry after though
I took a look at her nipples...and its weird but they almost look like huge white head pimples (sorry to be so graphic but thats what they look like). Also, another graphic detail...but her female part is very swollen (I dont know if that is normal or not) She hasnt been nesting at all....she just lies in the same spot right under my desk...I cleaned the area today and she almost seemed pissed off at me. She has been pacing alot tonight...back and forth from the closet to the spot under the desk. I have a feeling we're finally getting super close
LOL she must have known i was talking about her...she just got up on my bed and sat right on my tummy now she has her head resting on my forehead...Awe she is such a sweetheart! Anywho, sorry...well advice is def. welcomed! Also, I keep reading threads where people are asking what kind of cat they have. Can anyone tell me what Jasmine is??? Thanks you guys so much you have been amazing!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it definitely sounds like she's getting ready. Elsa never nested or showed any kind of indication except the very last day she was so huge she had to lie around on her back...