Cat sprayed my pillows

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the best temperature to wash my pillows? I was going to put them in the washer but I am unsure what temperature to use.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can really wash them in any temp, but if your cat sprayed them I'm thinking either warm or hot might be the best option
Fabric softener wouldn't hurt either

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
atable spoon of baking powder or soda with your washing powder will get rid of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

you can really wash them in any temp, but if your cat sprayed them I'm thinking either warm or hot might be the best option
Fabric softener wouldn't hurt either
That was my first thought.

Originally Posted by fwan

atable spoon of baking powder or soda with your washing powder will get rid of it.
Yep I was planning on using that and vinegar.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use the hottest setting you can that is safe for your fabric.

Be sure you wash them in an enzyme cleaner - otherwise although you might not be able to smell the urine- the cat can and will spray again. I use Nature's Miracle for Cats on any soiled laundry.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Use the hottest setting you can that is safe for your fabric.

Be sure you wash them in an enzyme cleaner - otherwise although you might not be able to smell the urine- the cat can and will spray again. I use Nature's Miracle for Cats on any soiled laundry.
I poured some on it last night. I just finished washing them in warm water. Hopefully the smell is gone. I know I can't smell it and at times I can on the rug after I cleaned it. I don't like the enzymatic cleaners. They smell just like the spray to me. LMAO

I went through a half gallon of vinegar today.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I poured some on it last night. I just finished washing them in warm water. Hopefully the smell is gone. I know I can't smell it and at times I can on the rug after I cleaned it. I don't like the enzymatic cleaners. They smell just like the spray to me. LMAO

I went through a half gallon of vinegar today.
I understand your frusteration
I went through this soo many times when Jasmine was living with us. It was all behaviorial too-since she has been back at my mom's house she has not had a single accident

Have you had your kitty that's spraying checked out be the vet to rule out any medical issues?

(I agree about the enzyme cleaners not smelling to great
)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand your frusteration
I went through this soo many times when Jasmine was living with us. It was all behaviorial too-since she has been back at my mom's house she has not had a single accident

Have you had your kitty that's spraying checked out be the vet to rule out any medical issues?

(I agree about the enzyme cleaners not smelling to great
)
Yep he was checked in December when he had dental work done.
We have to make an appt soon. DH wants to put him down.
Connor has never sprayed a bed before.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Yep he was checked in December when he had dental work done.
We have to make an appt soon. DH wants to put him down.
Connor has never sprayed a bed before.
There are a few things you can try. If you want- you could look up some of my old links on Jasmine (there are tons of them
i recieved quite a few suggestions.)

Is he spraying AND peeing/pooping outside of the litter pan or is he just spraying?

If i remember right, he is neutered?

You might could put some bubble wrap on the things he likes to spray- cats HATE it when it sprays back on them. If he is also going outside of the litter pan you could try using some Cat Attract litter in a brand new litter pan for him. How many litter pans do you have? You may want to get one per cat plus one and put them in the spots he's spraying. They also make small animal diapers- if nothing else you could try those for a while.

I even crated Jasmine at the vets suggestion for various periods of time with nothing but her litter pan filled with cat attract litter and her food/water dish. I couldn't even put something soft in there for her to lay on or she'd pee on it
It always worked for a while though and i'd release her- but she always went back to her old ways quickly. Is he spraying a partiular fabric? If so can you go to the fabric store and get cheap smaples of it- then cut it up and put it in a litter pan only he has access too- sometimes it's a good last attempt to get him into the litter pan. Did you recently change cat litters? If you crate Connor- line the outside of the crate with bubble wrap so if he tries to spray the crate, it'll spray back on him and hopefully cut that behavior out. How long has he been doing this?

He could have developed an infection between now and Dec- so definitely see what the vet says when you take him.

I did find that Feliway difusers help a great deal- they're definitely worth the money- you might want to try those too! (Oh and don't waste your money on No-Spray or products like that, they don't work!
)

pm me if you need anything else!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are a few things you can try. If you want- you could look up some of my old links on Jasmine (there are tons of them
i recieved quite a few suggestions.)

Is he spraying AND peeing/pooping outside of the litter pan or is he just spraying?

If i remember right, he is neutered?

You might could put some bubble wrap on the things he likes to spray- cats HATE it when it sprays back on them. If he is also going outside of the litter pan you could try using some Cat Attract litter in a brand new litter pan for him. How many litter pans do you have? You may want to get one per cat plus one and put them in the spots he's spraying. They also make small animal diapers- if nothing else you could try those for a while.

I even crated Jasmine at the vets suggestion for various periods of time with nothing but her litter pan filled with cat attract litter and her food/water dish. I couldn't even put something soft in there for her to lay on or she'd pee on it
It always worked for a while though and i'd release her- but she always went back to her old ways quickly. Is he spraying a partiular fabric? If so can you go to the fabric store and get cheap smaples of it- then cut it up and put it in a litter pan only he has access too- sometimes it's a good last attempt to get him into the litter pan. Did you recently change cat litters? If you crate Connor- line the outside of the crate with bubble wrap so if he tries to spray the crate, it'll spray back on him and hopefully cut that behavior out. How long has he been doing this?

He could have developed an infection between now and Dec- so definitely see what the vet says when you take him.

I did find that Feliway difusers help a great deal- they're definitely worth the money- you might want to try those too! (Oh and don't waste your money on No-Spray or products like that, they don't work!
)

pm me if you need anything else!
He has been doing this for 9 years since we took in the other cats. He definitely isn't happy about that. We tried Feliway but he was spraying more then. He does doors, walls, furniture, couches...etc. Crating him also won't work cause he hates not having freedom to roam. He uses the litter just fine. Last night before he sprayed Benson chased him from the basement to the 3rd floor. Connor wanted to go outside. So he goes after my stuff.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would wash them in hot water, and use bleach. And then spray them with some kind of urine deoderizer.

Don't feel like you're alone, Crazy! I've been having to clean up plenty of pooh & pee, b/c Cassidy (one of the kittens) refuses to use the litterbox.
It's so frustrating!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was told to use urine deoderizer ie natures mircle laundry and COLD water as HOT often sets a stain

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's sad your husband wants to put him down for spraying. I understand it's incredibly annoying and frustrating, but he can't help it, it's just instinctual behavior.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I was told to use urine deoderizer ie natures mircle laundry and COLD water as HOT often sets a stain
I was thinking that too which is why I posted. Well the vinegar and baking soda took the stain out. Hopefully Connor won't be able to smell it anymore.

Originally Posted by KristyKitty

That's sad your husband wants to put him down for spraying. I understand it's incredibly annoying and frustrating, but he can't help it, it's just instinctual behavior.
I see both sides. Connor has sprayed so much since we moved in cause he is upset. Things will be changing again soon in the next few months so it's better to get him on meds now.