timid kitten

martini92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i got a kitten yesterday evening and it's very timid and shy. Like we kept the box we got her in, in the room and she's always in it. She goes out when i'm around but when i leave the room she stays in the box. I think i should remove it cos she might become dependant on it.. but then if i do she might not feel secure. what shall i do?
she also isn't eating very much... however she is very lively and loves to play with me. She's about 14 weeks old.. what could i do to make her settle in?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keeping her in one room for a little while is probably a good idea, so she can easily find the food and the litter box. Go in the room and just sit and read, or whatever, without concentrating on her, and your presence will probably give her the security to wander around more. It will take a few days for her to explore the house, know where things are, etc., and then she will probably open up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

martini92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also she hasn't used the litter tray since last night... I mean she hasn't done anything yet... the breeder says she has been litter trained but how do i teach her that the litter tray I got for her is for pooing??

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by martini92

Also she hasn't used the litter tray since last night... I mean she hasn't done anything yet... the breeder says she has been litter trained but how do i teach her that the litter tray I got for her is for pooing??
She is just getting acclimated to her new environment. Most cats need some time to warm up and get comfy. She has just moved from the only home she has ever known so give her some time. I would leave her box with her. You don't want to force her. Just spend time with her and get some toys to play with. Toys warm them up quickly.

rick68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got my first cat, he hid under a dresser for 4 days and didn't come out. He didn't eat or poop for 2 days that I could notice. In less than a couple of weeks he was very friendly and playful and eating fine.

Some take longer to adjust than others. Zoe was confined for the first few weeks to a single room, but she didn't hide and ate just fine.