Fruit lovin' cat!?

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly cannot watch me eat fruit without pawing me to death trying to get some! Apples, plums, peaches, etc. She is crazy for the stuff.

I let her lick it when I'm done (or whenever she swipes at it and gets kitten paw dirt on it) and she tries to tear off hunks. Is this healthy? Weird?

Of course she won't eat her veggi's

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it is, I have a fruit loving kitty, too. My Fruity Tino

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother's cats have eaten fruit for years. I noticed that the "Wellness" food that is listed as "grain free" has fruit in it (cranberries, specifically).

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary loves cherries. She likes green veggies and my pasta sauce. At first I thought the pasta sauce was weird until I remembered that tomatoes are actually a fruit.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is big on peaches, blueberries, strawberries, plums, bananas. He'll even drink a little fruit juices out of the glass

Except for grapes, most fruits will not hurt them - just be sure they don't eat the seeds/pits of some fruits (like peaches, cherries)

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

...Except for grapes, most fruits will not hurt them - just be sure they don't eat the seeds/pits of some fruits (like peaches, cherries)
Everything I have read about fruits and cats points to the real danger as being in the SEEDS of the fruit, which can be very toxic...so, you'd better add apples to your seed/pit warning. (Avocado...every part is toxic for cats)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

(Avocado...every part is toxic for cats)
That is not true. There is actually a cat food out called Avoderm that is based on avocado being in it.

http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_p...avodermcat.htm

My cat Kiko eats avocado frequently.

The bark, leaves, rind, and pits does have trace amounts of toxicities, but not the fruit (except to birds, they cannot eat the fruit part).

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

That is not true. There is actually a cat food out called Avoderm that is based on avocado being in it.

http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_p...avodermcat.htm

My cat Kiko eats avocado frequently.

The bark, leaves, rind, and pits does have trace amounts of toxicities, but not the fruit (except to birds, they cannot eat the fruit part).
Now, that's interesting. The reference came from this article at Pet Place.

I had only been aware of the danger with Avocado seed - the toxin is persin. When I skimmed the article prior to posting, I was surprised to see the entire fruit listed as toxic.

Avoderm Ingredients for the chicken variety indicate avocado oil...I'd be curious to know how all this gets resolved...but, not curious enough to dive into it.

Thanks, Pami for the heads-up!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves to eat both veggies and fruit. In fact, I have yet to find anything she won't eat! We can never leave a salad or fruit salad unattended

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats ate a bag of Avoderm (and loved it), until I read the ingredient list and saw how much grain is in it. I think avocado oil is somewhat like peanut oil...if you are mildly allergic to peanuts you can still have peanut oil because (?) the allergy part is only in the nut itself, not the oil for some reason.

I was thinking too much fruit could be too much fiber, or too much sugar? And Kitty hates human food...so weird.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

My cats ate a bag of Avoderm (and loved it), until I read the ingredient list and saw how much grain is in it. I think avocado oil is like peanut oil...if you are allergic to peanuts you can still have peanut oil because the allergy part is only in the nut itself, not the oil for some reason.

I was thinking too much fruit could be too much fiber, or too much sugar? And Kitty hates human food...so weird.
TECHNICALLY speaking OIL does NOT have the allergen but as with all manufacturing the purity of said oil has alot to do with it .. That said I have massive allergies and am allergic to many oils ... PS avocado is a ?? able for cats some state poison others say okay