Olympics. What events are you interested in?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone watch the opening ceremonies? I thought part of it was brilliant and some I was just wondering what was going on! But, over all, I thought it was pretty good. I love the introduction of the athletes and found probably 20 countries I didn't know existed. I didn't even realize Guam and Puerto Rico had their own teams (and I lived in Guam for a few years!) Ok, yeah, I felt stupid....

So, what do you like to watch when it comes to the summer Olympics? I prefer the winter (love ice skating) but for summer I try to catch the equestrian events and gymnastic. Swimming is ok, but prefer the diving events. The rest, I really couldn't care less about. So, what are you going to watch?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eek everything!!!!! Woohoo!

I love the swimming, all the gymnastics events, diving (particularly synchronised diving!), cycling, basketball, all the athletics events, triathlon, rowing, hockey, tennis... I'll watch pretty much anything that's on!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the Olympics too!

I will watch: swimming - gotta love those bodies!
running, some team sports, gymnastics.

I too love watching the ice skating so I am looking forward to the winter olympics!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the diving and the gymnastics of course, but I'll watch whatever's on. I won't record whatever's on, but for the next 16 days, the Olympics will be the backdrop here.

I have to say, though, that as much as I love the Olympics, I really, really hope they don't come here to Chicago. It's already so expensive to live here, and we don't need a big white elephant like that.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GYMNASTICS and diving!!!! I was supposed to have an old teammate on the gymnastics team but she got hurt at trials
, and I know some of the divers

I also love to watch beach volleyball and swimming, but really I will watch whatever sport is on.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I would have to say diving for the summer games...I guess being Canadian I am more geared towards the winter games with the skating and skiing..

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the track events, now those are some nice bodies
I won't be watching much on purpose but if I happen to be watching and catch some events
Anyone else hear they're not doing women's softball anymore?

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long Jump (My brother went to Olympic trials for it in 2004), Gymnastics, archery and probably some other track events.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
None....I hate China. I don't like the way they treat their people and I don't like the way they treat their animals, and I refuse to watch anything that takes place in that crappy country.....

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

None....I hate China. I don't like the way they treat their people and I don't like the way they treat their animals, and I refuse to watch anything that takes place in that crappy country.....
I'm boycotting too.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swimming! Michael Phelps (that body) and Bay Area native, Natalie Coughlin! I got hooked on the equestrian events the last summer Olympics when we were in Scotland and the equestrian events were well televised. I like gymnastics, rowing, and women's softball.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no fan of the Chinese government either, but if we believe the Olympics should be a non-political event, then we're all responsible for setting our politics aside during the games.

And practically speaking, we've got to give China a chance to live up to the ideals so beautifully expressed in the opening ceremony last night. That presentation made it very clear that there's a strong reform movement in China working against governmental repressiveness -- and the Olympics is a chance for the world to help push that pendulum in the right direction.

The hope of doing so, in fact, is a large part of why the games were awarded to China in the first place. Let's not waste this opportunity to encourage reform.

I do boycott certain Chinese products, and will continue to do so until significant changes occur -- but to boycott the Olympics just because it's being held in China is counterproductive.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm no fan of the Chinese government either, but if we believe the Olympics should be a non-political event, then we're all responsible for setting our politics aside during the games.

And practically speaking, we've got to give China a chance to live up to the ideals so beautifully expressed in the opening ceremony last night. That presentation made it very clear that there's a strong reform movement in China working against governmental repressiveness -- and the Olympics is a chance for the world to help push that pendulum in the right direction.

The hope of doing so, in fact, is a large part of why the games were awarded to China in the first place. Let's not waste this opportunity to encourage reform.

I do boycott certain Chinese products, and will continue to do so until significant changes occur -- but to boycott the Olympics just because it's being held in China is counterproductive.
That is pretty much what I said in another thread. These athletes have busted their butts to be the top in their sport and I am going to support these athletes and my country! They have nothing to do with China...they didn't choose to have the Olympics there, they don't agree with what the Chinese do and they deserve our support. China is just t he host of these Olympics, they are not the Olympics itself!

Go Team USA!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not much of a sport fan period, but DH is all about the track events! I lucked out when I got a guy who doesn't watch sports...unless it's something to do with track.

I did watch most of the opening ceremony and it was beautiful I thought! I told DH that if we ever went to the Olympics, I'd probably be more than happy if all I ever went to was the opening and closing ceremonies!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swimming
As a former swimmer I can appreciate all the hard work and the technical aspect. Plus I want to cheer Micheal Phelps to gold. And as a 40 year old I want to cheer Dana Torres. Actually all of them Katie Hoff, Adam Piersol and others.

I want to see some equestrian events just because I don't get to see them very often. I like track and field. I will probably have the Olympics on the background for the next two weeks stopping when something interesting comes on.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Anyone else hear they're not doing women's softball anymore?
Yes, unfortunately it's the last year for softball and baseball.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my daughter's friends is doing the triple jump, Erica McClain. She is very bright (Stanford), athletic and nice. So cheer for her, please. I can now say that I've had an Olympian at my house.

I like gymnastics, soccer, softball (my b-i-l invented the bat the girls use) and swimming.