Egyptian cat Statue

pollywog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm looking for a picture of an Egyptian cat statue that I saw in an art book once. The cat statue had NO jewlery ( like the popular statue of Basat). The cat was black, regal and elongated like a siamese. If you know where(web site, book etc.) I could find this image I would appreciate it. Our new black cat ( King Tut) looks so much like this statue and I would love to find a picture of this Egyptia statue.
Thanks

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anubis was represented by a jackal though, not a cat - but it has to be said that my Oriental Shorthairs do resemble the typical Anubis figurines more than most so I could certainly see that as a possibility (and one of Sonic's brothers has the registered name Anubis
)

The typical Bastet figurines tend to be either:

a) a fairly realistic (in terms of ancient art) cat seated in an alert upright position, usually with a wide choker style neck ornamentation and a nose-ring in the style of a septum piercing (often black with gilding on the jewellery) or...

b) an upright bipedal human body with the head of a cat, usually holding an aegis and a sistrum, with kittens at her feet.

c) Of course cats having the status they did in ancient Egyptian society, there would have been loads of cat figurines made as votive offerings and to decorate altars and the like - but generally they took a similar stylised 'upright sitting' position as the well known Bastet figurines, rather than displaying a full range of realistic poses, but would be more likely to be unadorned with jewellery and vary more in style, and the stance may vary slightly.

My guess is that a photo of a figurine of the type I describe in c) would have been less likely to make it into a book than the more common Bastet figurine unless the book particularly focussed on representations of cats in ancient Egypt (which of course is a possibility!), so I reckon the statue you are looking for is most likely either Anubis the jackal, or a relatively unadorned (perhaps with the gilding worn away?) Bastet figurine.

I'll have a look at some of my egyptology texts and see if I can find anything for you

ETA: I just whipped out my copy of "The Art of Ancient Egypt" (Robins 1997) in the hope that it may have been the same book where you first saw the photo but alas no cat figurines, if anything else occurs to me I will let you know

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pollywog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I printed it out. What a beautiful statue! What is Poser and how do you use it? Is it software or something on the web? I'm still looking for the picture I described.
Pollywog

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pollywog

Thank you so much! I printed it out. What a beautiful statue! What is Poser and how do you use it? Is it software or something on the web? I'm still looking for the picture I described.
Pollywog
Poser is a a 3D software program:

http://www.smithmicro.com/default.tp...sku=PSRPROHBXW

You import 3D models and manipulate them. I have a gallery of images that I've made, but I can't post the link here, but if you want to see it, send me a PM and I'll pass the link along so you can see.