How do you search for a job?

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been very unhappy at my job for a while, but pretty much have stayed b/c of the good benefits. But I am at a point now where i can't take it anymore. I can't take the crap that goes on here, my stupid boss who does nothing, or the lack of respect for all of the stuff I do. I HATE my boss...I seriously could have punched him yesterday.
I have looked for jobs on and off for a while, will occasionally apply to one, but get turned off and frustrated when I don't find any jobs or apply to one and don't get it.

Well now I am completely determined to find something else and will not let frustration get in the way this time.

When you search for a new job what websites do you go to to look for job opening?? I have tried our newspaper, careerbuilder.com, and using google.

Any other good websites or suggestions?

Thanks! I am so desparate to get something else!!!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a temp-agency in your area?

A lot of the jobs they offer lead to long-term positions after a trial period.

Good Luck!! I hope you find something to suit you soon!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
The job market is REALLY tough right now... I was at a horrible job and I ended up just quitting it in March without another job on hand (I was lucky enough to get deferment on my student loans and I live at home) and I just now got a new job that I'll start on Monday

I looked EVERYWHERE - newspaper, careerbuilder, direct company websites, yahoo hot jobs, craigslist... you can't give up these days, you just need to apply apply apply

I did get an interview (and could tell the place really wanted me) from one of the craig's ads, but I took this other job.

What I've discovered is it's who you know... I had all of my family, friends, neighbors keeping an eye out for jobs for me and passing on the word that I was looking - it's how I got my first (horrible) job and this new one... even friends of friends that I was just meeting, I'd tell them my situation and they'd always say they'd keep an eye out for me and let me know if they knew of anything

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Have you tried a temp-agency in your area?

A lot of the jobs they offer lead to long-term positions after a trial period.

Good Luck!! I hope you find something to suit you soon!
I looked into temp agencies but my husband and I decided it wasn't a good idea. We just can't afford to take a chance of me not having pay for any length of time!

Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

The job market is REALLY tough right now... I was at a horrible job and I ended up just quitting it in March without another job on hand (I was lucky enough to get deferment on my student loans and I live at home) and I just now got a new job that I'll start on Monday

I looked EVERYWHERE - newspaper, careerbuilder, direct company websites, yahoo hot jobs, craigslist... you can't give up these days, you just need to apply apply apply

I did get an interview (and could tell the place really wanted me) from one of the craig's ads, but I took this other job.

What I've discovered is it's who you know... I had all of my family, friends, neighbors keeping an eye out for jobs for me and passing on the word that I was looking - it's how I got my first (horrible) job and this new one... even friends of friends that I was just meeting, I'd tell them my situation and they'd always say they'd keep an eye out for me and let me know if they knew of anything
Yes, it is very hard to find jobs right now! So many companies are down sizing so there are less positions available and more people looking for them!
And a lot of times it is about who you know, unfortunately. I figured that our when trying to get my first job out of high school All my friends had found jobs but I couldn't! When I asked them how they got it it was always "my dad knows so-and-so who works her..." . It is quite frustrating.

Oh well, I will just keep searching my butt off until something works out!!! I hope it is soon though!!!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used monster.com, careerbuilder, and also google'd job sites in my area (ie: lowcountryhelpwanted.com )

It took a little while, but I ended up landing a job off Careerbuilder ... I applied twice, the 2nd time they accepted my application, then wanted to cry when I left
They LOVED my skills but I got a much better job that I enjoy daily.

I also tried some temp-agencies. Didn't have much luck there, one called me AFTER I landed the first job in SC. Never heard from any of the other agencies and some weren't very helpful at all.

Good luck!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The majority of decent jobs are never advertised.

Put on your interview clothes and go business to business dropping off your resume and tailored cover letters. If you go in what is typical down time for offices etc and they have a position they will often see you right then.

Also they may know of someone else looking to hire through chamber of commerce meetings etc they will hand your resume on to.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've almost always used Career agencies to help me find a job. I usually have found something within 2 weeks of looking, but it might depend on what you are looking for and where you live. Where I live there is always a need for jobs in the engineering field. I suppose no matter what companies are making, they need a engineering department! Ya gotta start somewhere.

Most of the temp jobs lasted over a year, only once was is a short time (several months) position. And my last job was as a permanent employee, but I had to leave after 7 years when Josh was diagnosed.

That doesnt mean I've liked all my jobs. Yikes. I always loved having a career, but am the first to admit, for the first time in my adult life I am a stay-at-home mom and I love it!!

More work, less pay, more rewards!

I do agree with what someone else suggested - network. My husband always found any of his jobs that way, even now that he runs his own business, still the same - word of mouth.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a website called SimplyHired.com. You type in what type of work you are looking for in a particular area and it pulls up several jobs.