His test is back - Little Sunny has Bartonella's Disease

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just received a call from Sunny's vet regarding the Bartonella's disease test that they ran on him on Monday. The vet said that out of 11 possible strains of the bacteria, Sunny appears to have the one that clears with his antibiotic. She is checking with an internist to verify this and will call me back.

The vet said that he would have gotten it from fleas. He was so covered in them when we found him that I can believe it. She also said that it's the same as the virus that causes cat scratch fever. She said that Sunny is the youngest cat that she has ever tested for the disease that came back positive.

I'm really glad that our new vet suggested that we test him for this. The reason was that he was brought in on July 7, weighing 2.1 lbs. at approx. 4 mos. old and was running a fever of 103.5. When I took him in Monday, he now weights a normal weight of 4.6 lbs. and was running another 103.5 fever. I had to leave him overnight for antiboitics and IV treatments. His fever ended up hitting 108 that night. My new vet didn't like the fact that it appeared to be a roller coaster effect with the fevers. I originally thought it was the Revolution since we had put it on him Saturday night and he was lethargic on Sunday and still on Monday am. I ended up rushing him to the vet.

Anyone else have a cat that has been diagnosed with this? Were the antibiotics successful in treating the illness?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Sunny. I don't have any experience with the disease, but I'll send vibes for a quick recovery for him.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stan and Bella both had it. Bella's cleared up with antibiotics, Stan needed interferon + the antibiotics to help him recover (he had lots of other opportunistic infections).

Bella had a terribly high fever at one point. They are both fine now. for your little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Here is something one of our members found. It may give you some encouragement.
That article is very encouraging! I printed it out and will be meeting with Sunny's vet on Monday. Sunny has to take Doxycycline 2 times a day and if it doesn't clear up I will ask her about the Zithromax.

Thank you for the hope

Cindy

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chadsgirl374

That article is very encouraging! I printed it out and will be meeting with Sunny's vet on Monday. Sunny has to take Doxycycline 2 times a day and if it doesn't clear up I will ask her about the Zithromax.

Thank you for the hope

Cindy
Zithromax is what eventually worked for my two. We were able to get it from a compounding pharmacy with fish flavor added!

Good again for your little one.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had any experience with that, so I can't offer any advice. But I hope your furbie has a speedy & successful recovery!

~KK~