TV in the Bedroom - Yes or No?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was on another website where a couple was having some issues and part of it involved a tv in the bedroom.

So I figured I'dput the question out. Do you think a tv should be in the bedroom of a couple? Why or why not?

Both DH and I feel the tv belongs in the living room/family room and NOT in the bedroom. We have never had one in the bedroom. We feel that you should be concentrating on each other and sleeping without interuptions. We watch the news in the living room, then go to bed.

How about other couples?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well I'm not a couple anymore
but I haven't had a TV in my bedroom in many many years. I got one as a child (5) but then I took it out in my early teens. I watch TV in the living room, the bedroom is for sleeping....and other things
neither of which involve the TV. I know some people can't fall asleep unless the TV is on, but I have to have complete and utter darkness and silence (except for kitty purrs of course!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not in a relationship currently, but I have lived with someone, so I'll weigh in. We didn't have a TV in the bedroom. We never discussed not having one, we just never put one in there.

I know couples who have a TV in their bedroom and it is rarely used except in the event of a dispute over what to watch on the main TV.

I see no reason why a couple shouldn't have TV in their bedroom. If you hook it up to a DVD player or VCR you can watch movies
and spice up your love life!
So that's a reason for having a TV

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have one in the bedroom..have for years ...and its nice having the 2nd tv.I can be downstairs watching a show he doesn't like and he can be in the bedroom watching sports...
also..we like to cuddle up together and watch a movie...

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did have a TV in our room, but we took it out. I was a source of arguements. I am a very light sleeper, Dh likes to stay up late and watch TV, It just kept me awake. Trust me, Me with no sleep it not a good thing

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a TV in our bedroom and it's used on a daily basis. If the kids commandeer the living room TV, then hubby will go upstairs and watch his stuff and vise versa.

I have 5 kids... the TV has never been a distraction for us in the bedroom

ETA... I have to laugh (and agree) with Natalie's explanation about watching "movies"

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I do not have a TV in the bedroom. I don't care either way.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a TV in the bedroom also.
So is the computer.

I've always had one and now it's to the point that I can't fall asleep without it on

Brandon on the other hand, he could fall asleep in the middle of the highway and it wouldn't effect him either way

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't vote, because I have no opinion on whether or not a TV SHOULD be in the bedroom.

Yes, we have one.

No, we don't watch it.

Yes, it serves a good purpose. Punkin thinks on top of it is a great place to sleep!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one in the bedroom, where I sometimes watch TV if Matt is watching something else in the living room

We often have people here in the morning who work with Matt and I prefer to watch the news while getting ready for the day in peace without them all complaining about the news that is on.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one in the bedroom, but it's in the sitting area, the room is big so it's clear on the other side of the room. I watch the TV when I fold the clothes and clean the room etc. We do not go to sleep with the TV on.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I have a TV in the bedroom that we pick up and move to the study room if we want to watch it. When it is in the bedroom, it is not hooked up to anything. I can't even sleep with a ceiling fan on because it makes too much noise. There would be no sleeping with a TV...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not in my case, I have sleep problems including insomnia and need to have (mentally and psychologically speaking) clear delineation between space for being awake and space for being asleep - it's usually recommended that insomniacs do not have a TV in their bedroom as it can just confuse your poor brain!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely not. No tv's in the bedroom in our home. I think it distracts from sleep and intimacy- so i don't agree with it. When we have kids- they will also not have tv's in their bedroom. We have 1 tv in our home (in the living room) and i think that's all we need. We're always able to find something both of us enjoy watching.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a TV in my bedroom since the age of 15, and it has to be turned off before I sleep at night otherwise I find it hard to settle down.

When my ex and I were together, he used to sit up and watch TV until it was late, and I did get a bit grouchy about it. After so long, I gave up!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have 1 tv in our house. its in our family room.

Eventually tho we want to get a 2nd one & put it in the Front room so the kids can watch something different in the evening & we dont have to watch Superman & his Amazing friends

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Watching tv is for the lounge room, bedroom is for sleeping and... other things.

We have laptops, so if we want to cuddle up in bed and watch a movie, we just watch it on our laptops.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one in our bedroom. It doesn't distract from sleep at all - that's what the power button is for.

The couch is uncomfortable, the bed has more blankets, and DH is a tv hog with his games. So it works out fine.