Orville...I should have noticed sooner

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed Monday morning at the shelter that Orville was not feeling well. Lethargic, and very smelly poop. He was tested, and he and his brother were both treated for intestinal parasites and URI, but Orville wasn't responding and was put to sleep this morning. Maybe if I'd paid better attention, I might have seen the signs last week.

Play well at the Bridge, Orville. I hope Wilbur doesn't join you soon. Somebody will be there shortly who needs to be loved by you, you little cuddler.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, you can't blame yourself.
I do however know how easy it is to do that, I did it when we had to have our Lizzie put to sleep last June.
I spent a lot of time with the "What if's" and "Why didn't I notice sooner" or "Why didn't I know just how sick she was."

Like the last poster, my Vet got upset with me.
He told me that I knew as well as he did that cats hide illnesses very, very well and by the time she did show any signs of being sick, she'd been sick for sometime.

Don't beat yourself up, and don't blame yourself.
You loved him and that's a wonderful thing.
Sadly there are many cats that NEVER know the love of a human, Orville did know love.

Rest In Peace, sweet boy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The sad thing about Wilbur and Orville is that they were brought in by someone who owned their mother, so they were used to a loving home before they came to the shelter.

"You can't save them all." That's my wife's motto. She is a supplemental teacher at a trucking school, and she really hates having to give a student a failing grade and flunking them out of the school, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

I guess I'll shed a few tears for them, and go on.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i remember you talking about him, i think...
for Orville - for Wilbur...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am so sorry to hear this, but the chances are you couldnt have done anything differently, cats are so good at hiding things.

Sadly we can't save them all, all we can do is our little bit to help as many as possible. RIP little one.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about Orville. It's scary, because recently two of my kittens had the same symptoms. They were very lethargic and uncomfortable. They wouldn't play with the others. They were vomiting and had liquid, really stinky poo. I took them in to the vet and they got some dewormer (2 kinds) and amoxicillin. Fortunately it worked, and now they are back to getting into all sorts of mischief. It's sad for Orville, but he may have had something much worse than a simple infection or parasite. Those symptoms are so common to many different diseases, that you really can't tell. Even my vet was guessing, which was why he tried to dual treatment for worms/bacteria. My babies were just fortunate that they had something treatable.
Orville

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

Hugs
You did all you can do and you do it with love
exactly right. you make such a difference to these cats.

RIP little one.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that what you do DOES indeed make a difference, whether they make it out of the shelter or not, you gave them love! The greatest gift of all! Its not a gift that just anyone could give him, or others would have... but you did!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The good news is the Orville's brother, renamed Rory, was adopted, so I hope he gets the loving home he deserves.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The good news is the Orville's brother, renamed Rory, was adopted, so I hope he gets the loving home he deserves.
Thank you for the good news on Wilbur/Rory ...I guess Orville must have put in a good word for his brother with the angel in charge of cats
how sad for those kitties to wind up in the shelter - I thank the Good Lord that people like you are there to be a comfort to them - Bless you for all that you do