Sphinx - I want one! Anyone got Info? Advice?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been adopting rescue animals all my life. However, in the back of my mind, ever since I was a kid I always wanted a sphinx. I have my whole life to rescue animals. My boyfriend is slowly learning that if he decides to spend the rest of his life with me it will be with an abundance of rescue animals. I figured why not have one non rescued animal?

Anyway before I start writing a novel because thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what I always do. I wanted information on how do you buy from a breeder? When I look up sphinx in New Brunswick on google its hard to find anything.

If there isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t one near by will they ship them? Anyone know if there is a rescue Sphinx organization? I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what else to ask. I have absolutely no experience in this as my animals always picked me from SPCA, or fosters places, rescue organizations, etc.

Thanks guys! I told my boyfriend that I want a sphinx for Christmas lol we will see if that happens.

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really want one too! And have wanted one for a looong time =P

Most of the info I've found was on breeders websites, even thought I had no intention on buying from them, they still have some great stuff!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sphynx breeder is in Petaluma,California and my kitten was born July 24th. You need to get on a waiting list first. I can give you the website from my breeder. She will ship to other states. Mine will be the first time I had a pure bred cat. They have a list of breeders on the Cfa website. If you want it by Dec you need to get on a waiting list now. I was on the waiting list since March. Good breeders make you wait un til they are 3 months at least.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice is not to look for the best deal as your main decision factor and location should not be either. Sphynx as a breed are high for purebred cats and breeders won't be in every town. You want this kitten to be around for a long time, as everyone does. You will want to pick out your breeder carefully. Find a breeder that scans hearts. Find a breeder that seems to really care for their cats and kittens for life and will be available as a resource for you, find a breeder that socializes their kittens well and keeps them longer than 8 weeks. I suggest you go to a cat show and meet with some breeders and kittens, that way you will meet breeders and get to know some different cats. Have you ever seen a Sphynx in real life? You can also search Petfinder, in some cases they might have Sphynx cats. Good luck in your search.

Here is a recent thread about their care http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173188

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a lot of research before I picked a breeder and I did meet her at a Cat Show last March. I would not go by price either. I am paying 1200 for my Sphynx. Have you even seen a Sphynx in person? The heat scan is very important to get. I got lucky though. I wrote two breeders and one answered.

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My Sphynx breeder is in Petaluma,California and my kitten was born July 24th. You need to get on a waiting list first. I can give you the website from my breeder. She will ship to other states. Mine will be the first time I had a pure bred cat. They have a list of breeders on the Cfa website. If you want it by Dec you need to get on a waiting list now. I was on the waiting list since March. Good breeders make you wait un til they are 3 months at least.
Do you mind sending me a link to the site? I'm not planning on getting a cat for a year at the least, and I'm doing a lot of research ahead of time. I'm still looking for a good breeder and though I've seen a few, I'm always open to checking out someone new.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

My advice is not to look for the best deal as your main decision factor and location should not be either. Sphynx as a breed are high for purebred cats and breeders won't be in every town. You want this kitten to be around for a long time, as everyone does. You will want to pick out your breeder carefully. Find a breeder that scans hearts. Find a breeder that seems to really care for their cats and kittens for life and will be available as a resource for you, find a breeder that socializes their kittens well and keeps them longer than 8 weeks. I suggest you go to a cat show and meet with some breeders and kittens, that way you will meet breeders and get to know some different cats. Have you ever seen a Sphynx in real life? You can also search Petfinder, in some cases they might have Sphynx cats. Good luck in your search.

Here is a recent thread about their care http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173188
Why does my post have a red face up there? I can't get it off of there

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you mews2much for that link, it is greatly appreciated! I live in the Nevada County area, or about an hour from Sacramento.

Is there a place where I could go to see a schedule of where and when cat shows may be in my area? Like I said, I'm still researching! =]

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me find you a link. This breeder gave me 3 choices also. I can go there or she can come here or we can meet somewhere. There is another breeder in Roseville I was going to write if this one didnt work out.

minion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It would be best to look in Sacramento, Auburn, and/or Grass Valley...anywhere near there is good too.

Zip code for my area is 95949, but I don't live in a 'big' town so to speak, so I'm not sure if that would help any.