New Lens, New Pictures!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally had time and went to the cottage this weekend. We had to do some repairs to the roof, but took a bit of time to try out the lens. I still have a lot of practice to do, though. This lens is much heavier and picks up hand shake like crazy! Next time I'm definately taking my tripod with me!

Here are my first practice pics in the field.....

Love this bumblebee. It reminds me of a little elephant.

It then flew off, probably scared to death that I (or the camera) would eat it! Love its dangling legs!

It was so hard to get the focus right on this pic. Each time I focussed it would fly away.

This one is slightly better, but then the pic was overexposed. Like I said, I still need practice!

And, I can't place a photo thread on TCS without including a feline pic! Here's a close up of Gigi's whiskers....

Thanks for taking a look!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
those are awesome pics, FH just bought a new camera, an Olympus or something like that, its one of those big ones where it has good lenses.
We are still trying to figure it out, but have gotten some good pics so far, not as great as yours though! gotta go try one day!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lovely photos Kass
. They really are beautiful.

You've got a beautiful kitty model there

I understand totally about the shakey hand issue. I'm looking at a macro for my D80 and I'm pretty settled on the Nikon 105mm VR. I tried some shots with close-up filters on the end of the lens and very quickly realised that without VR I would need a tripod for all close up work. When we're travelling by plane, with the weight restrictions on cheapie flights, I wouldn't be able to take a tripod with me all the time.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kass, those are awesome pictures! What lens did you get? I got 2 lenses with my new dslr but I want to get at least one telephoto lens. The camera came with a 14-42 mm and a 40-150 mm. Can you give me a suggestion as to what size of lens would be first on your list if you had these two already? I'm still learning but am loving it!

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great shots..i'm sure you'll get used to that new lens..I have to get used to carrying a tripod along with me too..I need to buy a smaller one that I can take camping with me...
lugging that big one around is pretty heavy...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for taking a look!

Originally Posted by flisssweetpea

I understand totally about the shakey hand issue. I'm looking at a macro for my D80 and I'm pretty settled on the Nikon 105mm VR. I tried some shots with close-up filters on the end of the lens and very quickly realised that without VR I would need a tripod for all close up work. When we're travelling by plane, with the weight restrictions on cheapie flights, I wouldn't be able to take a tripod with me all the time.
I agree. Tripods are a pain to carry, and very hard to do on a flight!

Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

.....The camera came with a 14-42 mm and a 40-150 mm. Can you give me a suggestion as to what size of lens would be first on your list if you had these two already?
It all depends on your interest. I have 3 lenses: 50mm (portraits), 17-85 IS (came with camera) and now added the macro. I'm a macro nut, so that's my current interest.

I would really like a wide angle and of course a zoom but can't afford everything right now! When is Santa going to come?

Again, it depends what you want. I, personally, would add a portrait lens since you seem to like taking pics of the grandkid.
The 50mm 1.8 is a really great (and cheap!) lens.

Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Very awesome pictures!! I hope you're doing this for a living! If you aren't, you should be!
Thank you so much for the support! But I have a far way to go before I make it as a photographer. But, my house renovations are almost complete, so now I'll have more time to devote to photography.

Originally Posted by mistressotdark

.....I have to get used to carrying a tripod along with me too..I need to buy a smaller one that I can take camping with me...
lugging that big one around is pretty heavy...
You may want to look into a monopod, rather than a tripod. It's easier to carry around and much more portable, especially if you're camping. I'm looking at investing in one.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

It all depends on your interest. I have 3 lenses: 50mm (portraits), 17-85 IS (came with camera) and now added the macro. I'm a macro nut, so that's my current interest.

I would really like a wide angle and of course a zoom but can't afford everything right now! When is Santa going to come?

Again, it depends what you want. I, personally, would add a portrait lens since you seem to like taking pics of the grandkid.
The 50mm 1.8 is a really great (and cheap!) lens.
Thanks for the input. I do enjoy taking pics of the grandkid.
But I also love macros and I LOOOOVE landscape photography!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great pics Kass. :claps:

I love the bee ones myself.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loved those pictures, Kass. I am a terrible picture taker. Besides having not that much interest in taking them, I have essential tremors (not dangerous, have had them ever since I can remember) so mine are blurry. DH and Jen are the picture takers.