Went to the vet today...

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dynamic duo had to get their booster shots today. Longest half hour of my life... I was lucky that Bella was napping when I came home to get them so I just swooped her up and put her in the carrier before she was awake enough to notice

Then she noticed...and she whined and cried 10 minutes in the car, 5 minutes in the waiting room (causing quite a stir in the cage full of kittens they keep in the waiting room) \t

All the while Stan did his "Silent Bob" act and actually fell asleep in the carrier...

Then exam time came...and she would not get out of the carrier. Then she started growling at the vet. I have to admit I was a bit embarassed
Vet started calling her "grumpypants"

She continued to growl while they were taking care of Stan (still in Silent Bob mode--but he was really interested in a whining puppy in the next room).

Then she cried while I paid the bill
. Now she is purring in my lap, so I guess I'm forgiven.

With any luck this is the last time we go to the vets until next year's checkup

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties always give me the silent treatment when I get home. It amazes me how they can stick their feet out, so you can't get them out of the crate.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Last time I took Carly, she started meowing in the car (15 minute drive), and then proceeded to continue howling the whole time we were there and the 15 minutes home. As soon as we got in the house, she was quiet.

It is really great that they are so forgiving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My kitties always give me the silent treatment when I get home. It amazes me how they can stick their feet out, so you can't get them out of the crate.
Yes, in fact we actually had to tip the carrier and pull on the blanket to slide her out
The vet said it looked like she might "express her anal glands" \t
She was so
. That would have really made me
--at least now her file says "growler" not "danger--anal gland attacker" :

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww.... Sweet little growler she is... I'm glad you survived bringing TWO kitties in to see the evil vet

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Yes, in fact we actually had to tip the carrier and pull on the blanket to slide her out
The vet said it looked like she might "express her anal glands" \t
She was so
. That would have really made me
--at least now her file says "growler" not "danger--anal gland attacker" :
At my vets office, they call that the "kitty dump." That's the only way we can get either of mine out of the carrier.

And Swanie growls the whole time. He a sweetie pie most of the time, but the vet doesn't believe me

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two are actually quite good at the vet's minus a little whining in the waiting room and car. The first thing they do when I open up the carriers is to switch which carriers they're in, as if that will do them any good.
Billy's usually pretty pliant, but Chay crawls to the back of the carrier, but will let me pull him out when its his time to get examined.

On our last visit, they were actually very quiet and calm during their examinations, shots, and getting microchipped. Billy even started purring during his check up.

Overall though, I'm thankful they're so good. Even the vets and techs comment on how good they are.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I remember some animal show where they tried to get the cat out and every once in awhile, you would see this paw hit the table and then back up in the carrier.

Regarding the carrier, we have the hard-sided ones that can be taken apart. We reduce a lot of the stress on Carly and Much by just removing the top.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We leave the crates out all of the time. When the kittens were new to the house, we kept them in my daughter's room during the day and her bathroom at night during the initial period. Their crates were in the bathroom - sometimes they slept in them and sometimes on top fo them. They don't mind them at all.

And the top opening on the softsided crates is wonderful.