There's something wrong with Squee's eye

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squee has just walked into my room and there is something wrong with her right eye. She's keeping it closed/half closed and there's a clear liquid coming out of it, as if she's crying. She appears to be acting normal; she was just eating and is now trying to get intro trouble.
The skin around her eyes looks to be pink and slightly inflamed.
I hope she doesn't have pink eye.

ETA: Now she has her eye opened all the way but it still looks red and watery. If it doesn't clear up by the morning, she'll be going on a trip to the vet.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had conjunctivitis (pink eye) once, which he apparently contracted from me! The vet had never seen a case where a human spread the virus to a feline. She didn't have medication for it but it just went away on its own after a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

My cat had conjunctivitis (pink eye) once, which he apparently contracted from me! The vet had never seen a case where a human spread the virus to a feline. She didn't have medication for it but it just went away on its own after a day.
Weird! I had a stye in my eye last week, but that's probably a coincidence. When Squee was younger she had eye problems and it was IMPOSSIBLE to give her eye drops, and her problems usually went away after a day. I hope this goes away soon. I feel bad when I give her eye drops, even though I know it's for her own good. I just don't like making her uncomfortable.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
milo had exactly the same problem on sunday. he came downstairs after a sleep and his right eye was closed and teary. plus his upper eyelid looked slightly swollen and pink.

over the next few hours it improved but i said i would take him to the vet the next day if there was still swelling and/or pinkness.

by the time we went to bed he was absolutely fine!

hope squee is fine really quickly too!

bugga12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldie has seen several cases of this, and as someone mentioned eye drops weren't really her thing either... But it used to help.

She had basically the same. Teary half-closed eye with pink-ish swelling in the upper eyelid.

Hope everything comes out fine and Squee improves in a couple of hours

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her eye looks normal again.. I would like to know why this happens and why it goes away after a few hours. :s

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my case, the majority of the time when one of mine has an eye problem its because there was a little spat between one of the other cats, and the only way I found out was because I witnessed it happening. Some times they get a little too rough. It could also be like people they get a quick allergic reaction to something like dust.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well exactly a week after milo first had this he has it again. exactly the same, right eye shut, teary and with a little swelling on the upper eyelid.

i'm thinking as this is the second time, that i should take him to the vet tomorrow.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, for one of the great puzzles of life.

Our first cat, Snoopy, had an eye watering for several days. We scraped together a little money and took him to the vet. The vet examined his eye carefully, and found nothing obvious. However, Snoopy was...shall we say, feisty? Finally, the vet anesthetized him and took a really good look under his eyelids, etc. At the far lower corner, he found a cat hair. Imagine that! Anyway, be eased it out, we took Snoopy home, and the watering quit.

Now...how can cats KEEP from having cat hairs in their eyes all the time? After all, I get them in MY eye on a regular basis.

And you do NOT want to hear about Snoopy coming out of anesthesia.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Now, for one of the great puzzles of life.

Our first cat, Snoopy, had an eye watering for several days. We scraped together a little money and took him to the vet. The vet examined his eye carefully, and found nothing obvious. However, Snoopy was...shall we say, feisty? Finally, the vet anesthetized him and took a really good look under his eyelids, etc. At the far lower corner, he found a cat hair. Imagine that! Anyway, be eased it out, we took Snoopy home, and the watering quit.

Now...how can cats KEEP from having cat hairs in their eyes all the time? After all, I get them in MY eye on a regular basis.

And you do NOT want to hear about Snoopy coming out of anesthesia.
i thought that maybe milo could have something under his eyelid but would it really not bother him for a whole 7 days?

i have an appointment at the vets this afternoon but milo's eye is virtually back to normal now.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That used to happen to Mary and it was nothing. It came and it went over and over and then it was gone for good. I stopped taking her to the vet because it was always gone the next day.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

That used to happen to Mary and it was nothing. It came and it went over and over and then it was gone for good. I stopped taking her to the vet because it was always gone the next day.
i'm kinda thinking that this could be an expensive, pointless trip as i've know doubt his eye is totally normal now! but i'll take him just in case.

oh and sorry moz for hijacking your thread! hope squee is ok now.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
moz i just thought i'd update you on milo's vet visit today. she seemed to think that he has an allergy, possibly like hayfever. so she has given me some eye drops to treat him as and when this occurs. she said the fact that it clears up quite quickly is an indicator of an allergic reaction.

so for £30 i find out my cat has hayfever!
oh well, i'm just happy it's nothing serious.