Thoughts Please...

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 8 week 3 day - old kitten, Cameo, is being treated for a viral URI right now. He started the medication yesterday...he has a 1/4 pill of Doxycycline once a day, and 2 X .5cc of (Vetamino 4X) per day.

He is scheduled for his second kitty vaccination on Monday the 11th. Knowing how those shots give a real shock to the immune system....and his immune system is trying to fight off the URI.....do you think it would be wise of me to delay the vaccination until he is finished his medications?

He only weighs 2.4 pounds and seems so little. And, he's not really the age for the second shot yet. He's from the Humane Society and they recommended that he receive his second shot on the 11th.

I just don't want to stress his little body any more than it needs to be right now. He is eating very well, and playing very well and is very bright and full of beans.

Thanks for your very informed input!

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would wait... and I think any good vet would advise you the same . Have you asked your vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I didn't ask yet. I made the appointment before the sneezing started. I've only had him for a week....and he's such a cutie!!

I'll phone tomorrow and delay the appointment and tell them why.

Thank you for your input...it's much appreciated

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops...I might just keep the appointment...my second cat....Samson...started sneezing tonight...so he might need the Vet appt. At least I have a spot
I have till Friday to cancel.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's been seen by your vet for the URI, then your vet should be the one to decide when to give the vaccination. IMO I would not give any more vaccinations till he's cleared of the URI - too much meds in his system.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please re consult with your vet and ask for a sputum culture be done and find out if Baytril would be a better antibiotic

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Please re consult with your vet and ask for a sputum culture be done and find out if Baytril would be a better antibiotic
Okay, I'll do that. Is Baytril a better antibiotic?

He was seen by a Vet, but not by my regular Vet....he came from the Humane Society and they said to bring him in to them within 7 days if he developed any illnesses. So, that's what I did.

The vaccination appt is at the regular Vet. I'm leaning towards turning the vaccination appt into a 'well kitty' appt.....she would probably want to see him anyway. Samson may needs meds as well if his sneezing turns into a URI. The next few days will tell.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
According to a KNOWLEDGEABLE person I talked with YES ... it is a better one for URI .. NOTE it can cause a kitten to have slightly stunted growth but small is better than a uri getting more serious IMHO

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

According to a KNOWLEDGEABLE person I talked with YES ... it is a better one for URI .. NOTE it can cause a kitten to have slightly stunted growth but small is better than a uri getting more serious IMHO
Thank you, Sharky, I value your opinion. I will keep your advice in mind. His sneezing seems to be lessening and his nose isn't running, and is dry....he really seems to be getting better already. I'll continue with all the medication, of course. If I notice a setback in him...I'll certainly get him to my Vet for something better/different.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Someone help with the details on this...isn't Lysine a good supplement to boost immune system when there is an infection and help before vaccinations are given. I know our vet put my kittens on this at a a young age. Maybe 8 weeks old. Ask your vet what he thinks. Bought at most health stores. It comes in a powder you can mix in a tiny bit of canned chicken all meat baby food (no onion, garlic additives).
Hope everyone gets better soon.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Skimble, I'll certainly ask if the Vet recommends that supplement. It sounds like a good thing to do.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

Someone help with the details on this...isn't Lysine a good supplement to boost immune system when there is an infection and help before vaccinations are given. I know our vet put my kittens on this at a a young age. Maybe 8 weeks old. Ask your vet what he thinks. Bought at most health stores. It comes in a powder you can mix in a tiny bit of canned chicken all meat baby food (no onion, garlic additives).
Hope everyone gets better soon.
I know the shelter that I just got my 2 grils from uses that with some of the kits.

teach333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My cat has been on Lysine since he was 4 months old (he is now 9 months). He has feline herpes and the Lysine has worked wonders!! Eye problems (ulcer, tearing, irritation) and sneezing... is minimal. I also bought L-Lysine from the drug store and mixed it in his food. However, my cats have a difficult time with wet food. I continue to try, but it is a struggle. To make sure that he was getting his supplement, I just ordered the Enisyl-F (L-Lysine) online. It comes in a paste. It took my cat a day or so to eat it without me having to out it on his paw and clean up the mess from him shaking his paw to remove it LOL, but the last 3 days, he is licking it up off of my hand!
The lysine has worked better than anything else and my vet said that he couldn't believe the progress Tanner has made!! He will, however, have to take the lysine for the rest of his life.
Good luck!

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, teach333, I wondered what Lysine was for. I don't think Cameo will need it for the rest of his life...it's just that he's due for his 2nd vaccination and he's fighting a cold...so I didn't know whether to get the shot or not.
I will delay the shot until he's off his medication and I'm satisfied that he no longer has the cold, but will still take him to his scheduled Vet appt so the Vet can give him the 'once over'...as he's a new kitten in our household.

I'm so glad that the Lysine is really helping your kitty...that's fantastic!!!

BTW...maxiecat03 AND MAXCAT08 are the same person.....I couldn't remember my password at work..so I am a different 'number' here...