What makes carbs from grain worse . . .

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
. . . than carbs from other sources? I've been looking into some of the grain-free foods and it looks like they don't have any more protein than the cat food I've been using. They've just replaced corn and wheat with fruits and vegetables. How does this make them any better than the food with grain?

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

. . . than carbs from other sources? I've been looking into some of the grain-free foods and it looks like they don't have any more protein than the cat food I've been using. They've just replaced corn and wheat with fruits and vegetables. How does this make them any better than the food with grain?
Its about the way the body digetst the carbs .... with grain it turns to sugar the minute it hits the blood stream. Fruits and veggie do it slower and differently.

Hope that helps

BTW how much protein does the food your feeding vs the ones your looking at have?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't buy a dry food full of fruits and veggies
I'd look for the best grain free available with minimal fruits/veggies..and consider going to a wet food diet - be it homecooked, dehydrated, raw...options are out there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the veggies and the grains ... I prefer wheat and rice to lots of potato because both are far more digestable ... Sweet potato on the other hand is low glycemic provide s lot s of digestable carbs plus good fiber and vitamins and minerals...I use a no grain that both I and the vet approve of since one of my cats has some food allergies and this food is the same price or cheaper than many premium food s

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a , by product free , soy free , wheat free that uses, sweet potato ( which isn't a potato , its a tuber , Who knew lol ) and blueberries.

I ran it by my vet who approves , she was honest she would like me to buy from her but the food we picked is just as good as what she sells.

Patches who threw up from hairballs ( even when treated ) almost everyday ... has gone to only having an issue once every other week.

Bridget has only been eating it for 2 weeks but had no stomach issues coming off whatever the shelter was feeding , to what we feed. Tessa we have only had for 3 days but she is doing well with the food too.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also boils down to allergies for some people. Grains are notorious for being a source of allergies while veggies and fruits are less likely sources.
All are sources of carbs, but some break down quicker (glycemic index).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

BTW how much protein does the food your feeding vs the ones your looking at have?
Okay, I went back to the internet to check. I hadn't written down specific brands before I went to the pet store, thought I could remember well enough.
Anyway, one of the brands I looked at was AvoDerm instead of Evo. I've been using a couple of different brands that have 34-36% protein. When I rechecked I saw that the grain-free ones have 45-50% protein, so it really is higher.

Now all I have to do is find a place to buy the stuff. There is nothing close by. Even PetSmart is 35 miles away, but at least it's fairly close to where I work. The stores that carry the higher quality food are even further and in a different direction. Does anybody get their food by mail-order? What kind of shipping costs would I have to pay?

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

I use a , by product free , soy free , wheat free that uses, sweet potato ( which isn't a potato , its a tuber , Who knew lol ) and blueberries...
And, what would that be?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Does anybody get their food by mail-order? What kind of shipping costs would I have to pay?
This site gives discounts. I wait for them to email me the 20 to 22 percent off before I place an order and I order enough to last awhile. Most of the time the coupon covers shipping costs. Hope this helps.

www.petfooddirect.com

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

This site gives discounts. I wait for them to email me the 20 to 22 percent off before I place an order and I order enough to last awhile. Most of the time the coupon covers shipping costs. Hope this helps.

www.petfooddirect.com
Thanks. I think I need to find a store where I can buy small amounts of different flavors first. Just to make sure my ladies will eat it before I put in a huge order. Once I get that figured out the online ordering could be the way to go.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks. I think I need to find a store where I can buy small amounts of different flavors first. Just to make sure my ladies will eat it before I put in a huge order. Once I get that figured out the online ordering could be the way to go.
email the companies who produce the foods you're interested in [include your mailing address in the email]. many will send you a sample for free. i got several when i did this... of course, none of mine liked ANY of them, so the ferals ate REALLY well for a while there!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

email the companies who produce the foods you're interested in [include your mailing address in the email]. many will send you a sample for free. i got several when i did this... of course, none of mine liked ANY of them, so the ferals ate REALLY well for a while there!
Thanks laureen. I had checked the websites for Evo and Touch-of-the-Wild before and found the closest stores that carry those are 45-50 miles away. I sent off emails to both of them to see if I can get samples. Then I checked out the Wellness website and discovered that a store right down the street from me has that.
Definitely going to have to try that one.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aside from some of the good points made in this thread,generally the grain free foods have less carbs then the ones with grains in them.