This town is weird.

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never lived in a place that had such weird rain.

I've had days with rain and sun at the same time. It happens quite frequently here. The sun is shining in the window behind me... and suddenly I hear rain.

Other occasions my husband will come home angry because it had rained while he was at work (5 minutes from our house) and he had the car window open. I will reply to this "What rain?"

We had a thundershower start suddenly, a cloud rolled in over our house just as we left for the doctor, the lightning started and thunder, and it followed us 20 minutes up the highway to the hospital... poured down rain, thundered to shake the windows, lightning going every way, and by the time we were finished in the dottor it was sunny again.

Weird!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I lived in Tampa, FL from Aug - Dec one year. During Aug. and Sept., it would rain every day just after we left work. No, not rain. Poured. We had to pull over to the side of the road because you couldn't see through the rain. I had never seen such rain at the same time.

Come Oct., the skies cleared.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's weird like that here, too.
It can being raining cats & dogs in one spot,
and clear & sunny just down the road.
I never saw that kind of weird weather when I lived in Wisconsin..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often it will rain in town but not here, or vice versa. I live maybe a half mile from the edge of town.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't Nova Scotia an island or at least near the coast? (really need to brush up on my Canadian geography). If it is an island that is probably what is causing it. There is something about clouds crossing over water to land. The air currents are different and they basically "dump" excess water over the land in brief and strange showers a few times a day. I used to live in Guam and we could practically set the clock by our showers. The first would happen about an hour after the sun rose (between 7:30 and 8:30), the next would happen between 2:00 and 4:00, the last one would be shortly before sunset. They usually only lasted 10-15 min each then the sky would be clear and sunny. The good thing was the forecast was basically the same "hot, humid, mainly sunny with a chance of rain".

I would guess the weather would be similar anywhere near a coastline.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It often rains in our backyard but not in our front yard. The rain is always strange here too, especially in the summer!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember going outside once and it was raining outside the fence around the property, but not inside the fence

The first year I moved here, it rained everyday at 4pm during the summer months, so we joked the air force base nearby was controlling the weather! It would stay sunny, and just rain a little for about 10 minutes, and stop.

Now I call the rain my big black cloud of gloom ... it seems like lately when I leave work, it's about to rain, and then I manage to get said cloud of gloom to follow me over to DH's job 7 miles away. It'll be beautiful there, and as soon as I show up, the big storm clouds gather and let go

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Isn't Nova Scotia an island or at least near the coast? (really need to brush up on my Canadian geography). If it is an island that is probably what is causing it. There is something about clouds crossing over water to land. The air currents are different and they basically "dump" excess water over the land in brief and strange showers a few times a day. I used to live in Guam and we could practically set the clock by our showers. The first would happen about an hour after the sun rose (between 7:30 and 8:30), the next would happen between 2:00 and 4:00, the last one would be shortly before sunset. They usually only lasted 10-15 min each then the sky would be clear and sunny. The good thing was the forecast was basically the same "hot, humid, mainly sunny with a chance of rain".

I would guess the weather would be similar anywhere near a coastline.
I should update my location. NS is where I'm from.. and being on the coast, it's usually well fogged up and raining on rainy days. No sun until the rain goes away.

We're north of Ottawa ontario now. It's a valley, very humid... and it's the humidity that gets ya. Lightning shoots about at the end of a hot humid day, and usually goes away without a fuss, but sometimes is accompanied by thunder and much rain.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, we had a rain shower today at work. Our building is good sized (for this area) but not huge and I can kinda see out both sides. The shower only lasted about 5 minutes but it was raining like crazy on one side and the other side was completely dry. You could actually see a line where the rain didn't hit the ground. I thought about this thread while people were running from one side of the building to the other comparing. So, yeah...you're not alone. It's weird here too. Unless you just sent your weird rain down our way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loreye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember being in montreal around some particularly tall buildings. Hubby and I were just strolling down the street and we hear this whooshing noise.

It was the rain, hitting the top of the buildings and moving quickly down the street towards us. Even with the warning we still got fairly wet because it was not a subtle rain, the drops were huge and the streets quickly filled with water and the drops bounced high off the pavement.

It was crazy cool!