TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › *****KatKwery! - August 6 - KK*****
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*****KatKwery! - August 6 - KK*****

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
KristyKitty won for the third straight time using the word time. But the kats are not partial just because they invented KatKwiz, KatKwery, KatKlok, and KatKlik! Laureen227 had used the word time but used the word out first. Cocoa Cream won by using the word important. Half and level were not used.

Today's KatKwiz featured a picture of a calico cat.

Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's?
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
KristyKitty won for the third straight time using the word time. But the kats are not partial just because they invented KatKwiz, KatKwery, KatKlok, and KatKlik! Laureen227 had used the word time but used the word out first. Cocoa Cream won by using the word important. Half and level were not used.

Today's KatKwiz featured a picture of a calico cat.

Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's?
OMG you have to start telling me what the KatKlok and Katklik are! Im dying in suspence! I always thought of calico's as a breed I guess. I use calico as a way to describe them, my mom calls them torties but I think torties are something else entirely! No, Ive never read that book! Im sure it has good information in it but Ive never even heard of that book! I knew exactly where to go to find the picture but it was already answered properly by the time I saw it so I didn't figure Id even try! I would of looked in cat snips first and then in breeds if it wasn't in the cat snips, but since it was in there, I wouldn't of had to look in breeds! Although I dont know if I would have found it right away in the cat coat color and patterns! I would have done calico cats first! Maybe cat breeds, or even in the fur pictures & video forum!

I use to have a calico named Stump, she was very short and very beautiful. I know that all calico's are female, which is interesting, its like saying all of one race of people are a certain gender! Doesn't really make sence. I dont really understand how calico's are bred, I mean your cats have kittens and all of a sudden theres one that looks different! I was thinking about it and you could possibly even see a calico picture on here on someones profile or they could even make their avatar of a calico! One other place I might look is in the signature request forum, there are tons of pictures in there, of course it would take us years to find them since there are so many! I have never used the term tri colored either... I dont know, it seems to me that my calico had more than that, she had black, orange, white and a couple spots of a lighter orange! The torties Ive seen are mostly grey and have no white except right under their chins. So I guess there is just many ways of describing calico cats and we will all have to get use to it!
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's
I have never thought as a Calico as a breed, just a color/markings. I say calico, not tri-colored I have actually never read the article before, but I think I will now, it looks like a interesting read. I did find the page easily, but someone else got to it before me lol Only other place I look for pics is in the pictures forum. I love looking at pics of all the cute kitties on the site.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
KristyKitty won for the third straight time using the word time. But the kats are not partial just because they invented KatKwiz, KatKwery, KatKlok, and KatKlik! Laureen227 had used the word time but used the word out first. Cocoa Cream won by using the word important. Half and level were not used.

Today's KatKwiz featured a picture of a calico cat.

Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's?
I've always used the term Calico. I also learned that most Calico cats are female. That's something I didn't know before joining TCS. I did read the article in Cat Snips awhile back. I probably would have found the pic, someone posted the right answer before I saw todays Katkwiz. I see this beautiful Calico in our neighborhood sometimes. I want to take her home. I'm sure she belongs to somebody though.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post

Today's KatKwiz featured a picture of a calico cat.

Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's?
I'm baaaaack! And just in time I see. Laureen is trying to overthrow me Maybe I should mark her down on my conspiracy theory list???

So let's see, have I ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as its own breed... No! I am a HUGE genetics buff, and know the red sex-linked gene is responsible for such coloring and also that it is found in many different breeds. From moggies to purebreds. Also, it would be impossible to have a breed of ONLY calicos considering torties and calis are 99.9 percent females! Almost all calicos and torties are female since this red gene sits on the X chromosome. Because females are XX, one the black sits on one chromo and the red sits on the other. In the case of males, XY, it's one or the other. IF by rare chance there is a male calico, it most certainly is almost always sterile since it is carrying an extra chromosome, XXY

When I see a black and red (orange) cat I consider them either a tortoiseshell or calico if they have white. Of course there is even the torbie or patched calico if they have stripes.

So with all that, have I read the article about Cat Coats and Patterns? I'm not sure... I have read _A_LOT_ of information about cat genetics and coat colors and patterns online. In fact everything I have read has been from the computer. I sometimes think I'd be lost without it

Oh, I almost forgot... for some reason today I couldnt view the KatKwiz. My netblocker was coming up saying something about gambling. I use my daughter's school laptop to surf the web mostly and was too lazy to go to the home computer or to kick my kids off of it to see what it was about - aside from the fact that several people had already answered it. Although, from just reading what is posted here, I imagine I would have or could have gone to "Cat Central" to view the members' Cat Pages and photos. That place is LOADED with pictures. I went there before just to browse names. It took me forever and I didnt even get through them all.
post #6 of 15
Wow, I'm a roll!

Anyways, before I came to this site, I knew little about calico cats. I sort of knew what colors they were--red/orange, black, and white I believe? But I had no idea they were mostly female! They're sooo pretty though. I actually didn't know people called them "torties" either before reading this thread. I've seen people using that word but I had no idea what it meant. I thought it was a kind of cat, but I didn't know it meant calico. And from the replies here, maybe it doesn't mean calico, so I am just really confused

I don't know where the picture is, and now I want to go find it!
post #7 of 15
Kristy, you're on the right track. People do use the words tortie (tortoiseshell) and calico synonymously, but in reality there is a difference.

A tortie is mostly black and red (orange) their fur is intermingled, no solid patches of color. Usually torties have little if any white.

Calicos on the other hand have more white, and their colors are separate colors - like a quilt if you will. In fact it is speculated that the white spotting gene is what causes the "patches" of the calico to form.

To complicate matters if the black color in a cat is striped (like a tabby) than a tortie is called a torbie (tabby+tortie) and a calico is then called a patched tabby.

Calicos are tri-colors, but Torties arent necessarily tri-colors. If they dont have white, then they are 'technically' bi-colored, except that when you say bi-color, most people assume the second color is white.

AND if ALL that wasnt enough... if a cat has a very high amount of white, so that color appears only on it's head and tail leaving the rest of its body white.... it is considered a Van. Which is a pattern also - despite the breed named after this pattern (Turkish Van)

Let's not even get into the options of diluted cats - lol. Gray and cream....

And I was surprised about the calico gender thing first time I read it too. Interesting stuff!

Below are pictures of past foster.


compared to a pic of a recently adopted foster.


Notice the difference? The top cat has more white and red and black are distributed in patches, whereas the second cat has very little white and the black and red are mixed with each other with less definable "blotches".
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
KristyKitty won for the third straight time using the word time. But the kats are not partial just because they invented KatKwiz, KatKwery, KatKlok, and KatKlik! Laureen227 had used the word time but used the word out first. Cocoa Cream won by using the word important. Half and level were not used.

Today's KatKwiz featured a picture of a calico cat.

Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's?
I have always loved calico cats! But the closest I have come is my little Dusty, who is a patched tabby, or torbie! The gal at the vet called her a tabico, but she doesn't have any white, just orange, black or grey, and brown tabby markings. I love her little orange spot on her head! I use calico, tortie or tortoise shell, patched calico or tabico. I never have read the article about cat coat colors. I also didn't even see the question until after I got home from work but probably would have found it eventually. I can't really think right now since I had a hard day at work and DH is chattering away.. LOL
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
Kristy, you're on the right track. People do use the words tortie (tortoiseshell) and calico synonymously, but in reality there is a difference.

A tortie is mostly black and red (orange) their fur is intermingled, no solid patches of color. Usually torties have little if any white.

Calicos on the other hand have more white, and their colors are separate colors - like a quilt if you will. In fact it is speculated that the white spotting gene is what causes the "patches" of the calico to form.

To complicate matters if the black color in a cat is striped (like a tabby) than a tortie is called a torbie (tabby+tortie) and a calico is then called a patched tabby.

Calicos are tri-colors, but Torties arent necessarily tri-colors. If they dont have white, then they are 'technically' bi-colored, except that when you say bi-color, most people assume the second color is white.

AND if ALL that wasnt enough... if a cat has a very high amount of white, so that color appears only on it's head and tail leaving the rest of its body white.... it is considered a Van. Which is a pattern also - despite the breed named after this pattern (Turkish Van)

Let's not even get into the options of diluted cats - lol. Gray and cream....

And I was surprised about the calico gender thing first time I read it too. Interesting stuff!

Below are pictures of past foster.


compared to a pic of a recently adopted foster.


Notice the difference? The top cat has more white and red and black are distributed in patches, whereas the second cat has very little white and the black and red are mixed with each other with less definable "blotches".
oh okay! Thanks for all that info. I think I got it all down...I think.

I was out at my parents farm, and a very friendly kitty came up to me and my dad and started meowing and rubbing up against us! He/she (I'm guessing she?) was sooo pretty, I think she belonged to the neighbor's, because she was definitely very people-friendly. I'm thinking she was a "Tortie". Here are some pics I took of her. Not the best pics, but she wouldn't hold still, lol.



post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Have you ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as a breed? Which term do you use, calico or tri-colored, or something else? Have you ever read the article Cat Coat Colors and Patterns before? Did you know where to go look for the picture of a cat in today's KatKwiz? Where else on TCS would you think to find a picture like today's?
i knew calico & other tri-colored cats were colors, not breeds. i use different terms for the different types of tri-colors - Java, for example, is a calico - white w/patches of red & black. my very first cat, Medley, was a tortoiseshell - no white at all, just black & gold, in a brindled pattern. i use torbie to describe my Firefox - she has the tortie colors [very, very little cream around her muzzle] but has tabby striping thruout her coat. i haven't read the TCS article, but i've read the entire tri-color page at the Messy Beast archives - there are good pages there on a myriad of coat colors & patterns. i haven't seen the KatKwiz yet - i'm working a show right now, so not at home evenings like i usually am. if i were looking for pix of tri-colors, or calicos, or torties, there's at least 1 pic thread dedicated to that coloration - i know this, because i posted pix of both of my tri-color girls in that thread!
thanks for the points!
post #11 of 15
Okay, I'm lost. Where do you find the Katkwiz or KatKwery?
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Okay, I'm lost. Where do you find the Katkwiz or KatKwery?
the threads are posted in the Cat Lounge - this is today's KatKwery thread. links to all of the info can be found in Persi & Alley's sig line...
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
I'm baaaaack! And just in time I see. Laureen is trying to overthrow me Maybe I should mark her down on my conspiracy theory list???

So let's see, have I ever thought of a calico or tri-colored cat as its own breed... No! I am a HUGE genetics buff, and know the red sex-linked gene is responsible for such coloring and also that it is found in many different breeds. From moggies to purebreds. Also, it would be impossible to have a breed of ONLY calicos considering torties and calis are 99.9 percent females! Almost all calicos and torties are female since this red gene sits on the X chromosome. Because females are XX, one the black sits on one chromo and the red sits on the other. In the case of males, XY, it's one or the other. IF by rare chance there is a male calico, it most certainly is almost always sterile since it is carrying an extra chromosome, XXY

When I see a black and red (orange) cat I consider them either a tortoiseshell or calico if they have white. Of course there is even the torbie or patched calico if they have stripes.

So with all that, have I read the article about Cat Coats and Patterns? I'm not sure... I have read _A_LOT_ of information about cat genetics and coat colors and patterns online. In fact everything I have read has been from the computer. I sometimes think I'd be lost without it

Oh, I almost forgot... for some reason today I couldnt view the KatKwiz. My netblocker was coming up saying something about gambling. I use my daughter's school laptop to surf the web mostly and was too lazy to go to the home computer or to kick my kids off of it to see what it was about - aside from the fact that several people had already answered it. Although, from just reading what is posted here, I imagine I would have or could have gone to "Cat Central" to view the members' Cat Pages and photos. That place is LOADED with pictures. I went there before just to browse names. It took me forever and I didnt even get through them all.
For the few men that are on this site: What if 99.9% of the human race were female? Are you up to the task?
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Okay, I'm lost. Where do you find the Katkwiz or KatKwery?
At the very bottom of all of my postings is a signature which we abbreviate as siggy and it contains three links that will explain everything you want to know. If it does not, PM me If you do not know what a PM is, click on FAQ above. In fact, just reading the Q&A in FAQ will be of a tremendous help for someone new to this site.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Okay, I'm lost. Where do you find the Katkwiz or KatKwery?
They're posted everyday with the same Title format:

*****KatKwery! - August 6 - subject*****

Only the date and subject line change. It makes it easy to find when you visit the Cat Lounge Forum. BUt sometimes you have to scroll down a ways to see it.

KatKwiz is posted early in the day and is worth 2000 points for the correct answer. KatKwery is posted a little later and is a discussion that pertains to the Kwiz. It is worth 700 points for using any of the secret words of the day. They are always posted by Persi & Alley so if you can also go to his profile page and search his posts. There you will find all the past Kwizes and Kweries.

Good Luck!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › *****KatKwery! - August 6 - KK*****