I'm Soooo Frustrated Right Now I Don't Know What To Do!!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except cry..

Cassidy refuses to use the litterbox, and I'm at my wit's end. I came so close to putting her outside this morning that it's not even funny.
And I don't want to do that!

I've tried everything that I can think of to get her to use it, but she just won't do it. She's not physically ill - with the exception of her lame leg & deformed tail. I had to get up in the middle of the night to change the sheets, b/c she jumped onto the bed and got pooh on it.
Then I couldn't get back to sleep, b/c she kept jumping back on it and I had to keep putting her back down. When I finally dragged myself out of bed, I went to take a shower, and had to clean pooh out of the tub before I could take one, b/c she made a mess in there sometime during the night. If that wasn't bad enough, I discovered there was pooh on my clothes when I went to get dressed. How it got on my clothes is anybody's guess..

There's pooh all over the house: on the carpeting, on the furniture, on the counters - everywhere. I've spent most of the morning cleaning it up. It's bad enough having to clean it up, but b/c of the situation with my back (I have degenerative disc disease) it makes it even more difficult b/c it's so difficult for me to bend over w/o any pain. I have to do a lot of squatting in place of bending, and b/c of that, my knees are getting bad too - which certainly doesn't help any. I'm miserable right now due to so much bending & squatting..

I sure don't mean to "whine", but I'm just soooo frustrated with her!
I just don't know what to do anymore. I have her in "lock-up" right now in my bedroom, with food & water & a litterbox. I'm hoping she'll get the point. I don't know what else to do!

Please HELP!!

~KK~

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I missed a prior thread but--what have you tried to do to help the situation so far?

Leslie

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well being a first time cat owner, I do not have any great advice...I can only tell you what I would do.
Does your cat pee in the box? If she does, you should get another one for her to poop in.
Have you tried a different type of litter?? Maybe your cat hates the smell or something.
I wouldn't leave the cat in my bedroom while I'm at work. The last thing I would want to do is change my sheets again!!! I think I would put her in the bathroom or laundry room. I would probably leave the cat in there for a few days and see if it starts to use the box.
I would not let a cat that gets poop everywhere have free roam of the house, especially at night and when I'm not there.
I would take the cat to the box first thing in the morning, after eating, after playing, and last thing before you go to bed.
Good luck

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not physically ill - with the exception of her lame leg & deformed tail.
Is it possible her spine is injured? I know loss of bowel control is one of the symptoms. And it sounds like she is having small uncontrolled poops. Or is it possibly diahrrea?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

Is it possible her spine is injured? I know loss of bowel control is one of the symptoms. And it sounds like she is having small uncontrolled poops. Or is it possibly diahrrea?
Yes. her pooing so much is not a healthy sign. Seems like she is pooing too much.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have her checked completely by a vet ASAP. If she has little control over her bowels, there may not be a lot you can do. If surgery will not help, you might not have much choice but to cage her in a large built cage (floor to ceiling) or confine her to a washable room.

If she is having trouble getting in and out of a litter pan, maybe you need to figure out how to cut a lower side for her to step in and out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, she has been examined by the vet, and he didn't find anything wrong with her spine. She runs & plays just as well as the other kittens do, and doesn't have any problems getting around. And I don't think it's a matter of her not being able to control herself, b/c just before she goes, she'll start looking for a place, and does the "cat walk in circles" thing. When I notice her doing that, I'll try and grab her so I can run her to the litterbox - which usually results in a mess from where she's trying to go to the litterbox. She does get diarrhea occasionally, but it's not always runny. But the other kittens get diarrhea too sometimes. Maybe I should quit feeding them canned food in the morning.
Jinx also has the same handicaps as Cassidy, and I haven't had any problems with her: it's some kind of weird hereditary thing that they got from their mother...

She can get in & out of the litterboxes; I've seen her do it. She was using the litterbox in the beginning when I first trained the kittens. She didn't start poohing all over the place till after I let the kittens out of 'their room', and they had free roam of the place.

I wouldn't leave the cat in my bedroom while I'm at work. The last thing I would want to do is change my sheets again!!! I think I would put her in the bathroom or laundry room. I would probably leave the cat in there for a few days and see if it starts to use the box.
I'm no longer working b/c of my spinal condition, so I'm home all day with her and the other cats. I really don't have a 'spare' room to use besides the computer room, and I don't want to keep her in there b/c I'm afraid she'll chew through the cables & cords. The bathrooms aren't that big: I guess I would feel as if it's 'cruel' to leave her locked up in such a small place all day & all night. My bedroom is really the only place to leave her where I feel she'll be 'safe'. I sure don't want a mess on my bed again,
but I can always wash the bedding if it comes to that. I guess I'll just sleep on the couch or pump up the air mattress to sleep on till she learns.

As I've already said, I really don't think it's a physical issue - in spite of her 'handicaps' - and neither does the vet. I think it's a behaviour issue - although I can't understand just why. Cassidy receives just as much attention & loving as the other cats do - maybe even more. We kind of 'spoil' her b/c of her handicaps, b/c we feel badly for her. I would think that if anyone would have a behaviour issue, it would be one of the other cats - out of 'jealosy' or something. But we haven't had any problems with the other kittens, or the older cats, either. I think she's just gonna be one of those cats who has behaviour issues, that you read or hear about sometimes.

I guess my 'luck' was bound to run out sooner or later. I've had cats almost all of my life, and I've never had to deal with a "problem child" before. They've always used the litterbox..

Tomorrow we have to pay bills/shop, and I'm gonna see if there's something I can buy that might coax her into using the litterbox. I'm also gonna see if there's such a thing as kitty 'diapers'. I know they have them for dogs: maybe there's such a thing for cats, too. I'm getting desperate: I'll try anything at this point!

I appreciate everyone's help and feedback.

~KK~

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the Cat Attract litter and see. Maybe she's the type of cat that doesn't like a lot of competition. But she still needs to be confined to a crate or one room for awhile to see if its medical or behaviorial reasons of not using the pan.

Cats can be frustrating as they can't tell us in words what's upsetting them and we have to play a guessing game.

What kind of food are you feeding now - maybe that is part of the problem.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Try the Cat Attract litter and see. Maybe she's the type of cat that doesn't like a lot of competition. But she still needs to be confined to a crate or one room for awhile to see if its medical or behaviorial reasons of not using the pan.
I've tried the Cat Attract - but to no avail.
I'm wondering if she's one of those "fussy" felines, too - who doesn't like sharing litterboxes..

Cats can be frustrating as they can't tell us in words what's upsetting them and we have to play a guessing game.
Ain't that the truth! I keep picking her up and asking her, "What's the matter with you! Please tell me!!" But, of course, she doesn't understand. It's soooo frustrating!

What kind of food are you feeding now - maybe that is part of the problem.
They all eat the same thing: Purina Special Care Indoor formula, and Friskies canned food for 'breakfast'. I'm wondering if maybe the "special" food I give to her may be causing her diarhhea (meaning chicken or pork chops or whatever I'm eating).
She'll sit at my feet while I'm eating and give me that sweet little meow, and I can't resist!
I don't give her a lot, but maybe it's causing problems..

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If space will allow, you can try multiple litterboxes throughout the house, with 2 ea. per cat. The litter should be unscented - as they get older, they can become more aware of the irritating scents used in the litter.
You could offer her several types of litter, too; if she had an irritated rectum one time, she may associate that brand of litter with pain. Chicken feed is sometimes accepted more easily than just another kind of scoopable or clay.
Meanwhile, your own personal condition is known to be very painful - may you be doubly blessed for overlooking your own troubles and continuing to care for your cats - you are a real cat hero
MAJOR HUGS, PRAYERS AND VIBES to you all

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried confining her to a room where she has her own litter box, just for a bit? I imagine her use/non-use of the litter box in that situation would tell you a lot.

It does sound like she's having trouble "holding it" - although that might not be the only issue. I would cut out the table scraps (I know it's hard to say know to kitten eyes!) and maybe consider switching to a higher quality food. My kittens have pooped once a day since they were 3-4 months old and I switched them off the Walmart junk they came to me on!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

If space will allow, you can try multiple litterboxes throughout the house, with 2 ea. per cat. The litter should be unscented - as they get older, they can become more aware of the irritating scents used in the litter.
I have several litterboxes placed throughout the house, all with unscented litter. I do sometimes use a litter deoderizer that you can add to the litter, but I cut back on it for now.

Meanwhile, your own personal condition is known to be very painful - may you be doubly blessed for overlooking your own troubles and continuing to care for your cats - you are a real cat hero
MAJOR HUGS, PRAYERS AND VIBES to you all
That's very sweet of you to say so, and I appreciate the compliment.
But I'm not doing anything "special" that a good cat meowmy wouldn't do for her "children".

for your suggestions!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Have you tried confining her to a room where she has her own litter box, just for a bit? I imagine her use/non-use of the litter box in that situation would tell you a lot.

It does sound like she's having trouble "holding it" - although that might not be the only issue. I would cut out the table scraps (I know it's hard to say know to kitten eyes!) and maybe consider switching to a higher quality food. My kittens have pooped once a day since they were 3-4 months old and I switched them off the Walmart junk they came to me on!
I've been sending her to her "room", after she makes a mess. I'm hoping that she'll get the point. She hates being on "lock-up", and whines her head off when I put her in the room. I probably should keep her in there constantly till she learns, but I start feeling badly when she starts crying.
I'm such a wuss.
I'm gonna try it this way for a few days, and if she continues to make messes, I'll keep her on continuous lock-up till she DOES learn. I reckon I'll just have to buy a set of earplugs to drown out her crying..

She's not having any problems holding it.
I watch her almost constantly when she's not in her room, and I can always tell when she's fixin' to go b/c she does the circular "cat walk" thing. I managed to get her to the litterbox last night when I noticed she was fixin' to go, and I held her there till she was done.

It's a work in progress. All I can do is keep trying.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't really add anything except, one of my boys is a sprayer and he
is marking everything in sight, curtains, couch, chairs, my bed, pillows, even me. I covered my bed with a crinkley plastic, they say they don't like the feel of it so he stays off my bed. At least then at night I can sleep. I use Urine Gone and a Feliway difuser it seems to calm him down a bit. I don't have a problem with the poop side of it.

Good luck.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your situation sounds a lot like what we went through with our Gus. There were days that he couldn't control himself and would poo wherever he was at the moment, and other times that he purposefully avoided the litter box. He even pooped on my lap one day. We were at our wits end with him, but after having him checked out by our vet to ensure that he was not ill it was determined that he had food allergies. The vet suggested that he had associated the litter box with bad feelings, like cramping and such and was experimenting with "safe" places to go. It was only after he was on an appropriate diet that contained nothing he was allergic to that we could correct his pooping all over the house. We purchased all new litter boxes. Both the vet and a behaviorist suggested the large "under bed" storage containers instead of a cat box. We also changed to World's Best Cat Litter, per recommendation of our vet, and added Cat Attract. Since we've made all of these changes we haven't had a single incident of him pooping out of the box.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Your situation sounds a lot like what we went through with our Gus. There were days that he couldn't control himself and would poo wherever he was at the moment, and other times that he purposefully avoided the litter box. He even pooped on my lap one day. We were at our wits end with him, but after having him checked out by our vet to ensure that he was not ill it was determined that he had food allergies. The vet suggested that he had associated the litter box with bad feelings, like cramping and such and was experimenting with "safe" places to go. It was only after he was on an appropriate diet that contained nothing he was allergic to that we could correct his pooping all over the house. We purchased all new litter boxes. Both the vet and a behaviorist suggested the large "under bed" storage containers instead of a cat box. We also changed to World's Best Cat Litter, per recommendation of our vet, and added Cat Attract. Since we've made all of these changes we haven't had a single incident of him pooping out of the box.
That's funny that you should mention those under-bed storage containers, b/c that's exactly what I'm using.
We have ten cats, so a "regular" litterbox just isn't big enough.

I suppose Cassidy could have food allergies.
It's something to consider. How did you find out that your cat had food allergies?
And what's the World's Best Cat Litter? I've never heard of it..

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may have already looked at this site. Dr Jean was on the expert forum recently. http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library Scroll down to titles regarding "litterbox".

There is also an article on "food allergies".

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/ I used this litter with my kittens because they were eating the other litter

Recently gradually switched to http://www.preciouscat.com/ . I am trying the kitten litter from Precious Cat now because it is fine like sand and several of my adult cats seem to like it better.

I hope things get better.