I have been looking at Dogs and the Pound here is filthy

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Dog Pound here is so dirty I am afraid to Adopt a Dog there. Its been in the paperits full of sicknesss and diseases. Is there anywhere else I can get a Dog? Its a toy or small Dogs I want.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or petfinder? Rescues often post on Petfinder, you might have to drive a little way, but it sounds like it would be worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have not tried Craigs List or Pet Finder yet.
We do not mind driving to get a Dog. We drove over 2 hours to get my last 2 Cats and the breeder of the Sphynx is almost 3 hours from here.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, this is a long shot, but check out my post on my sister looking to rehome a dog. She had mentioned for the right home she would be willing to take him to a different state.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense, but I'd be careful with craigslist. It seems to be a minefield of scammers these days. There is a dog-related scam where someone will offer you a free puppy to good home if you pay the shipping charges up front.

There are some shady characters on petfinder too, but at least the really bad ones get reported so it is safer than craigslist. Once I posted there looking for a dog and I couldn't believe the junk I got, including a BYB posing as a rescue.

I'd check the local classified because you can see the dog and ask for the vet paperwork.

Good luck!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did look at teh post for your sisters dog. How big do you think he would get?
We do not want a big dog.
My Sister did have a problem on Craigs list last week.
There was a Siamese kitten on there and she wrote the person.
They said she would have to have him fixed first.
The cat was a male taht is about a year old.
That was in Los Gatos.
She looks at the craigs list where I live and the same cat is on it.
It was from June.
I live about 100 Miles from Los Gatos so why is it on both craigs.
I told my Sister do not take the cat I think its a scam.
My Sister did get a Car off craigs list and it was fine.
It is hard to trust people on there because some are terrible people.
I will be careful. I have checked the paper.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the surrounding town's animal control centers? You would be saving a life that way.

My next choice would be a specific breed rescue. They do have mixes. It may be more expensive upfront, but they are very good about making sure they are healthy or that you know about any health issues, they screen for socialization issues, work with you on the best dog for your home situation, work on training before they adopt out (not fully trianed, but have started) and the money you give them for the dog gets plowed back into the care of another dog.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can someone help me find a Rescue. I do not mind paying more to help a Dog out. Some of the pounds will only adopt in thier own county. There are a few I can try though.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd go with Petfinder. Like others have said, you can search by size. Plus, many rescue groups are based out of homes (foster homes) so the dog will not have been crammed in a cage. Or on petfinder you can look at rescue groups by state. Many rescues will adopt out of state if you are willing to come meet the dog in person. For others it's not an option because they want to do a home check first.

Search for Groups by State (i think someone already posted this)
http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?action=state

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister thinks he is fully grown. I think he's somewhere between 40-50 lbs. He's probably 10-11 months old by now.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately look into rescues on petfinder that does small breed dog rescue. Not all pounds are like the one you visited. Some are short on staff, where I work at my local animal shelter our shelter is very sanitary and clean. We use bleach a lot and it does smell like a swimming pool and not the animals, plus we make sure all of our animals are healthy there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll agree to look more at Petfinder in your area then craigslist if you've had problems. I was under the impression that cragslist is in your area - not out of state. We have local areas and the animal is where you can meet it. Most of them have phone numbers that are local, I don't know - never got a pet from craigslist before.

I don't like using the newspaper or ads on grocery stores, cause I feel those are byb's trying to make money and I won't support that.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.petfinder.com!!! I'm on there all the time. It's a really good place! Shelters and rescues post pictures and ads of the animals that need homes. That's how we found Leya and a dog, saw their pictures and went to meet them!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't like using the newspaper or ads on grocery stores, cause I feel those are byb's trying to make money and I won't support that.
There are those sure, but also around here I see people who got a dog and then have second thoughts about it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links and ideas. We do have craigs list here. The Cat my sister wanted seems like a scam. We are still moving in but I want to start searching for a Dog.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who knows, maybe after you move in a neighbor will have some pups they want homes for
Ask around - I'm sure you'll be loaded with possibilities.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are alot of Breeders here. We pass them all the time but I would like to save a dog. I almost had a puppy from my dads friend but thy would not hold it until we moved here.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check a breed rescue. Contact them directly. Search petfinder. I say contact them directly as sometimes they don't have dogs listed on petfinder that are in their care. Good luck.

Personally, I would never use the paper or craigslist as a way to get a dog.