Nancy, Our Little Black Cat and How We Loved Her

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is the ninth anniversary of Nancy's death. My daughter and I still miss her. She was our beautiful shiny black cat that we had for 15 years.

My daughter was seven when we adopted her and Nancy was five. We came to celebrate their birthdays together, even though we had no idea of Nancy's birth. She was abandoned at the meditation center we lived in when she was a tiny kitten. She was cared for by various folks at the center and managed to have a litter of kittens before anyone thought to have her spayed.

When her last caretaker before us, left the center, Nancy decided to move into the house we were in (among others -- it was kind of a hippy thing). There was already a little cat there, but Nancy was a bully and chased little Ting Ting next door. My daughter was much taken with Nancy. Her tail had been injured and the end was missing. Crystal felt that was the source of Nancy's anger -- she was angry because she didn't have a long tail like the other cats.

We loved Nancy -- she became a sweet lap-sitter as she got older and mellowed out. When she came in a room she always announced herself with a big meow. You had to acknowledge her by saying "Hello, Nancy" or she would just continue to meow. After she was answered she would contentedly lay down. She loved to have a conversation and would hold up her end until you got tired.

Her last years were hard for her -- she had a cancerous tumor above her eye. It was removed twice, but grew back. The last time it grew on her eyelid. The entire eye would have had to be removed and by then, her kidneys and liver were too weak to take such a huge operation. We had to let her go.

I'm here to say that the pain does get less, even though the missing never goes away. Today I can remember how much we loved her and how much fun she brought into our lives. The pain of the last year is not so hard as it was at first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It means a lot to have understanding like we get at TCS.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nancy sounds like she was a very special cat, and I have no doubt she held a special place in your heart and in your daughter's as well. My condolences for your loss.. even though it was 9 years ago. I understand how you feel, about the pain lessening, but you'll never stop missing Nancy.
RIP little Nancy

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

I understand how you feel, about the pain lessening, but you'll never stop missing Nancy.
RIP little Nancy
i don't know that it lessens, but it changes... not as sharp. but i agree - you'll never stop missing her. i still miss my 1st cat, Medley - she died over 15 years ago - as well as Mouse, gone 4 years this coming December

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's funny isn't it how we are going along pretty well and then it kinda smacks you in the face again, whether it be an anniversary or just something that makes you think of them.

nancy sounded like such a character, especially the 'chatting' bit. tabitha loves to chat too and i know how amusing those little talks can be.

for you and your daughter. nancy will forever be in your hearts and she will live on forever in the precious memories you have.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet little Nancy.
It means a lot that you still have such feelings for her and remember her. She is at the bridge playing happily and I'm sure she is thrilled you still think of her with love.

The pain never really goes away, nor does the hole in your heart, which is why it's so, so important to remember them with fondness and love as you are dear Nancy.

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
your love for your cat is beautiful. i lost my little jet black girl mia (or princess pii-pii) oohh must be about 4 years ago & i still miss her dearly. i lost my soulmate marvin in may & ache for him everyday. i think that we never fill the holes they leave in our hearts, but we begin to fill new ones we didn't even know we had. i also find comfort in the ancient egyptian saying ''to speak of the dead is to make them live again'', every time you do there is a little part of her beating in your heart.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all.

Laureen, I remember when you lost Mouse. I know how hard it was for you.

I'm so happy I had Nancy in my life. Just thinking of her now brings a smile to my face. Remembering how she slept next to me. I still miss her, but I am so happy I had 15 wonderful years with her.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet tribute.
The pain is less sharp but at times I will be looking at my daughter's sketchbook and there will be her drawing of Olivier and the tears still come. I loved him with my whole heart and soul.

Nancy sounds like a wonderful little cat.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nancy really struck gold when you adopted her. She sounds like an amazing cat and you and your daughters gave her lots of love. I bet Nancy is looking down on you and is happy that she still holds a place in your heart.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind responses. We loved Nancy so much. Both of us still love little black cats because of her. I know that many people on the cat site have cats that they can't and don't want to forget.

I also have Magenta, a cat I had before my daughter was born, that I remember with great fondness.

I just read a newspaper article that even owning a cat for 2 years at any point in life, leads to a greater life expectancy. I think that its the purrs. Especially with Magenta I always felt her purrs were entering my body and somehow making it "right."

I just love cats!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

I'm here to say that the pain does get less, even though the missing never goes away. Today I can remember how much we loved her and how much fun she brought into our lives. The pain of the last year is not so hard as it was at first.
Sweet Nancy....always in your hearts.