Wellington needs urinary diet

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had an awful week - 3 cats at the vet with different things - Cinders with a gum infection, Biscotte with a 'source unknown' fever and Wellington with a flare up of his urinary trouble. All are responding to antibiotics. Wellington was the one I am most worried about as it is a second episode and the poor boy was in great pain. The vet thinks I should switch him to a urinary tract health special diet and he gave me some Royal Canin sachets and dry food. But does anyone have any opinions as to which brands might be best? I believe in RC, and can continue with that but I would like to know others' experiences. It is going to be hard singling him out as they all eat from the same bowls normally (except Ellie who has her weight promoting food) and Wellie has a huge appetite and finishes off whatever is eft. But I shall try.
I should also say that I think all of this is caused by stress - the kittens are all over the house and the cats hate them. Wellie goes round bashing them whenever he can. They should have gone back to the shelter by now, but there is an outbreak of flu there and I have to wait two weeks more. I cannot keep them anymore in a small bathroom - there are five and they are 12 weeks old now and need freedom.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco gets the C/D and Royal Canin Urinary for her bladder problems. I have some problems right now also because we just moved and coco has to be with them until everything is done. They have been eating C/D because that is what she eats and I do not want her to eat teh wrong food. I do take their food out when I am in there so they can eat thier own food. I hope something works for you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is on Royal Canin for Urinary. Ling eats it too. Won't hurt the other cats to eat it. I'm tempted to change to Natural Balance, but don't want to risk Charlie having another UTI. When we get baby Jack next spring, he will be on RC Kitten food, then when he goes to adult foods will be eating the same RC as the rest.

IMO no sense in feeding different dry foods if one will be ok for everyone. I also feed Max Cat, Natural Balance and Beef Iams in the canned foods and everyone is happy and no more problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get a wet meal twice a day and kibble to sustain them in between. I think I will get Royal Canin urinary diet sachets for Wellington as his wet food - the vet gave me a sample and he likes them - and gradually switch to either Purina Balance or RC Urinary Health as kibble for all of them. It will more than double my costs and I will need to increase my monitoring at meal times ( I already watch Ellie to be sure she eats her special sachets) but I guess that's the way it will have to be. I already give all of them low calcium bottled water as this is a hard water area. They eat better than I do!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just make sure the formulas for all are okay as many RX s should not be feed to healthy cats..