Merrick BG vs Wellness

teach333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I went to pick up cat food this morning (wellness) and saw the BG line at the pet food store. I picked up the wet (my cats devoured the tuna.. It is a supplemental food only, but I will continue to purchase it for the moisture..)
Has anyone tried the BG dry food yet? The ingredients look good... I picked up a trial sized bag to try to see if they like it. If you have tried it, please share your opinion... Which of the two would be a better choice for my babies!
Thanks!!

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here are Sharky's comments in another thread about this food!

Ingredients:
Tuna Deboned, DO to mercury and other heavy metals I would not choose a food HIGH in tuna ... this also really is the 5 th or 6th ingrediant after cooking... Chicken MealREALLY this is the first ingrediant , Potato DehydratedDont mind potato but this is DRIED and thus could have pestiside residue plus potato is being linked to diabetes , Turkey Meal, Chicken Fatpreserved with mixed tocopherols - a source of Natural Vitamin E), Sweet Potato Dehydrated I prefer this HIGHER than potato but also could have lots of residue, Dried Egg, Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry Dried, Blueberry Dried, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min) 36
Crude Fat (min) 18

VERY normal FOR A HEAVY grain food ... MOST no grains are 6-15% higher in protein .. ie this is a BAD version of a no grain as it likely has the same carb level as a grain containing ...
Moisture (max) 11
Ash (max) 7
Crude Fiber (max) 3

rough %
36+11=47+7=53 +11=64+3 =67

carb is 100-67= roughly 33% ... IE HIGH for even a premium grain as most we found are in the 20-30 % carb range

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So basically wellness is better than merrick's before grain, correct?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO wellness core is better than merricks bg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teach333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your posts. I am still new to being a "mommy" to cats. I have only ever had a dog, but he passed away at Christmas (cancer). I love them to death, and want the best for them, but have so many questions

Thanks again. I will use up the trial size that I bought, and switch back to Wellness. They are actually on the kitten Wellness right now, but I am going to switch them to the CORE next week.
Thanks again

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiousity, the Merricks BG - is that a new product and is it only one flavour or is it like other Merricks products? I ask because I feed Merricks and thought it was a good food.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Just out of curiousity, the Merricks BG - is that a new product and is it only one flavour or is it like other Merricks products? I ask because I feed Merricks and thought it was a good food.
There is a chicken flavor dry food too. They have smallish "sample" size bags. They were $2.49 at my local store. I bought a bag for the guys to try.

Here's a link.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teach333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! At my pet store, there is both wet and dry. The wet food is different than the "regular" Merrick food. There is tuna, chicken, beef, quail, and turkey. In the BG wet food, the only ingredients are the meat and water. The dry food comes in the same flavours. It is new to the store I shop at. They got the line in a few days ago. I think that I will go back to Wellness due to the comments on the BG dry food.. It is a shame though, because my cats LOVE the dry tuna food!!!