Need some advice from parents/grandparents of non-fur kids

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Or professionals who work with kids (teachers, day care providers, etc.) I'm a freelance writer, and my mom suggested to me a couple years ago that I write a children's picture book about how my cats adopted me. I liked the idea but wasn't totally sure how to go about it. Then a few weeks ago, I attended a presentation by a children's book author at my local library. Now I feel more confident that I can do it, but . . . here's the thing. The vast majority of cats whom I've shared my life with have been rescues, some from extremely dangerous circumstances. I don't want to upset small children (or their parents), but I do want to teach a lesson about how to treat animals with respect and love.

So . . . what is OK and not OK to write about? Bear in mind that each story will have a happy ending, but not necessarily an easy way of getting to that happy ending.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think its ok to write about but first you need to decide what age range your going to be writing for .... after you do that you need to consider how strong of a wording you intend to use.

Example 1

The house was flea infested , there was trash and filth everywhere. The smell of urine , feces and dead cats was over whelming.

Example 2

The house was very dirty and not a safe place for any sort of pet. It was a sad and overwhelming thing to see.

Its all about the wording....Spoken from a Mother of 7 kids ranging in age from 21 -2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

I think its ok to write about but first you need to decide what age range your going to be writing for .... after you do that you need to consider how strong of a wording you intend to use.

Example 1

The house was flea infested , there was trash and filth everywhere. The smell of urine , feces and dead cats was over whelming.

Example 2

The house was very dirty and not a safe place for any sort of pet. It was a sad and overwhelming thing to see.

Its all about the wording....Spoken from a Mother of 7 kids ranging in age from 21 -2
Thank you for your feedback. This confirms what I was thinking as well, but as I don't have kids, I wanted to be sure.

Right now, I'm thinking picture books for preschoolers and early grade schoolers. Something along the lines of "Stranger in the Woods," giving a message while telling a good story at the same time.