*Warning!! Women's issue* (a vent about..well..everything!)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just figured I'd warn the guys before I posted. Ok, "Aunt Flo" came to visit yesterday and I wasn't expecting her for a few days so I went most of the day w/out advil. By the time I got home from work I was completely miserable. Plus it seems like every other month or so, the cramping is worse and mainly on one side. Anyone else have this problem? It just started happening about 2 years ago. I did go to the gyno for my annual visit last year and explained that to her. This was the first time I saw her so I figured I would get a full work up with blood and urine tests. Nothing. Just a physical. I asked if I have order for blood work (a lot of time they are done off site) but nope. Nothing. Isn't it usually standard to order those kind of tests?

She DID however spend 20 minutes lecturing me on the dangers of cancer because both my parents died from it in the past 5 years (mom from cervical cancer). Even with that, she still didn't order anything and finally I got tired of the lecture and told her to look at my chart. For family history it simply says "adopted" so it's not that I'm more prone to cancer from my parent's genes...I just have no idea what I'm prone to! Also, she basically diagnosed me with HPV virus....because I've had more than one sex partner in my 38 years. That is written in my chart. Again, no blood test. I may very well have it, but how does she know for sure with no tests?? I was SO mad when I left there, let me tell you!

So, to make a long story short, I called today because of the cramps because I want actual tests done to find out why this started all of a sudden...and she closed her business 6-30. No notice, no referral. Nothing. I can get my records from her office and a list of doctors...for a $10.00 fee. I don't THINK so! So, I talked to a friend who recommended her gyno. She has been seeing him for 8 years and had the same problem I have and he ran all kinds of test including ultra-sound to rule out cysts. The only problem is my first appointment is on my birthday.
So, would that be considered "getting lucky" on my birthday? And, I wonder if I will get dinner or a least a balloon out of it?

Anyway, I'm doped up and just had to vent.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's terrible!! Man, with a treatment / attitude like that, she deserved to go under! I'm not normally vengeful, but I hope it hurt her! Sheesh, some people... Women's issues are bad enough, but then to be treated like that?? I think I would have walked out on her!!

Phew... Glad you found a new one that you should be happy with! Hopefully he will treat you well. And hopefully you will get good news! Hopefully it's nothing and the pain is just... Normal annoying Aunt Flo!

I know I'm suffering now, too... First time off BC in like, 5 years or so, and boy is my body rebelling! It's early, too. Before BC, I was NEVER regular. I'd go anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months without a period... And now my body seems to be instantly reverting!
So I feel your pain... Here's some Midol to help you!
(ignore the fact that it says "chill" over it, that's addressed to your womanly parts!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

I know I'm suffering now, too... First time off BC in like, 5 years or so, and boy is my body rebelling! It's early, too. Before BC, I was NEVER regular. I'd go anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months without a period... And now my body seems to be instantly reverting!
So I feel your pain... Here's some Midol to help you!
(ignore the fact that it says "chill" over it, that's addressed to your womanly parts!
)
Oh, I remember what it was like coming off BC. I took it for 7 years, and the first few months after I stopped were just agony! I think I just got lax about taking anything because I was so used to popping a few advil and it was over in 3 days! Lord, I miss those days. I got off of them because they were just messing with my body too much (mood, weight, etc). THEN I remembered what it felt like to be a woman. If I ever need proof that God isn't a woman, this is it!

Here's a Midol right back at'cha!
: Come on over, between them and a bottle of wine, and we won't feel anything!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it's a good thing she closed down her business, she was doing a poor job and you shouldn't have ever gone back to her anyway!! I had similar problems...with female problems and female doctors! I have had increasingly bad, debilitating cramps for years. Each year they are tons worse than the year before. I had to miss work for them, and all the Rx medication I tried didn't even touch it. Then I got married a year ago and found out that intercourse was also very painful for me. That's when I decided to go to a Dr. Well the first to Drs I went to didn't do ANYTHING to figure out what was wrong with me! (ok, something has to be causing the pain!). The 2nd Dr was the worst. She looked at my history that I filled out and states "Wow, your periods sound like hell!". Umm, YES! So then she talks to me for a bit and and before even looking at me at all diagnoses me with a tight hymen. (How would she know without looking at me??! Just b/c I was a virgin doesn't mean I have that!! Kind of like yours saying you had HPV just b/c of more than one sexual partner). Also, I cannot take birth control pills and I told her that and explained why. She then spent 10 minutes trying to convince me to try more pills or the shot!! By the end of the appointment, when I asked what we can do about the pain (both kinds), she basically said "Just deal with it".

Needless to say, I did not go back to her! I tried another one and got nowhere with that one either. Finally, by my third doctor for these problems I found an amazing dr!! In the first visit alone he did many swabs to test for infections and abnormalities and he ordered an ultrasound. He said "we WILL get to the bottom of this!". I almost cried. After 2 ultrasounds, more swabs and other medication my problems still existed so we opted for surgery!! I had surgery in June and they found 3 things that they fixed( 3 areas of endometriosis, 3 areas of adhesions,and a cyst on my fallopian tube). I am SO glad I continues to look for a good dr and for answers.

So definitely keep looking, and find dr who is willing to find out what is causing problems. Do your own research as well on what may be causing your pain. Go to the Dr with details of your history and be prepared to ask questions. If you are not satisfied with the dr, don't hesitate to find another!
Hang in there!

Before my surgery my dr asked if I would like to get a 2nd opinion before we settle on surgery...I laughed...he was my second opinion! (of third for that matter!!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I am sick every month with bad cramps and the right side is always the worst. Sorry the Dr pulled that bs. I have been told stuff by Drs because heart problems run heavy on my Grandmas side. Only one problem my Mom was Adopted and we are not related to my grandparents on my Moms side.My Mom died from Breast Cancer though so I want the info.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

THEN I remembered what it felt like to be a woman. If I ever need proof that God isn't a woman, this is it!
Oh, that's priceless! I needed a good laugh right now!
If you don't mind, I think I'll keep that one for future use!

Here's a Midol right back at'cha!
: Come on over, between them and a bottle of wine, and we won't feel anything!
All right!! I just took my next dosage of Midol, I'm ready to get together and add some wine, boy could I use it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I've been curled up with the heating pad for a while and they're starting to let up a bit.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thought the other doctor's attitude was unprofessional. I have a tendency to be intimidated by doctors and not question them at the time, then fume afterwards.

I just hope this next doctor works out because I really want to get to the bottom of this. Time for more midol and then curling up with the heating pad. It would just really be nice if I could take a day off of work and actually enjoy it.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you feel better soon!

I used to get a horrendous cramping pain on my right side a week before my period was due..and of course I had a monthly docs visit each time thinking it was my appendix!

The past 11 months have been heaven though..no periods at all since having an Implanon contraceptive bar put in my left arm..it lasts up to 3 years!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

The past 11 months have been heaven though..no periods at all since having an Implanon contraceptive bar put in my left arm..it lasts up to 3 years!
I may have to inquire about one of those babies next visit

My mom always had horrible, debilitating cramps when she was younger, so I feared I'd get them. The first few years I had my time of month, it was painless! Then around 15-16, UGH. It was terrible
When I went on the pill at 19, it was so much better. I sometimes still get a heavy cramp on my left side right before or during those few days, but it is mucho better than before.

That Dr. was terrible that you had. I bet there were so many complaints, that's how the doors ended up closed!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

That Dr. was terrible that you had. I bet there were so many complaints, that's how the doors ended up closed!
Yeah, and that is why no forwarding number. Might also be why you are being charged for the records. Maybe she got sued too many times.

Missing that you were adopted is just unacceptable.

BTW my daughter has never had cramps or anything else. If she wouldn't my daughter whom I love dearly
I would hate her.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just figured I'd warn the guys before I posted. Ok, "Aunt Flo" came to visit yesterday and I wasn't expecting her for a few days so I went most of the day w/out advil. By the time I got home from work I was completely miserable. Plus it seems like every other month or so, the cramping is worse and mainly on one side. Anyone else have this problem? It just started happening about 2 years ago. I did go to the gyno for my annual visit last year and explained that to her. This was the first time I saw her so I figured I would get a full work up with blood and urine tests. Nothing. Just a physical. I asked if I have order for blood work (a lot of time they are done off site) but nope. Nothing. Isn't it usually standard to order those kind of tests?

She DID however spend 20 minutes lecturing me on the dangers of cancer because both my parents died from it in the past 5 years (mom from cervical cancer). Even with that, she still didn't order anything and finally I got tired of the lecture and told her to look at my chart. For family history it simply says "adopted" so it's not that I'm more prone to cancer from my parent's genes...I just have no idea what I'm prone to! Also, she basically diagnosed me with HPV virus....because I've had more than one sex partner in my 38 years. That is written in my chart. Again, no blood test. I may very well have it, but how does she know for sure with no tests?? I was SO mad when I left there, let me tell you!

So, to make a long story short, I called today because of the cramps because I want actual tests done to find out why this started all of a sudden...and she closed her business 6-30. No notice, no referral. Nothing. I can get my records from her office and a list of doctors...for a $10.00 fee. I don't THINK so! So, I talked to a friend who recommended her gyno. She has been seeing him for 8 years and had the same problem I have and he ran all kinds of test including ultra-sound to rule out cysts. The only problem is my first appointment is on my birthday.
So, would that be considered "getting lucky" on my birthday? And, I wonder if I will get dinner or a least a balloon out of it?

Anyway, I'm doped up and just had to vent.
HPV is diagnosed from a pap-smear not a blood test. If you had abnormal cells on the pap(HPV) you should have been called back for other procedures to shed the pre-cancer cells or treat the warts.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

HPV is diagnosed from a pap-smear not a blood test. If you had abnormal cells on the pap(HPV) you should have been called back for other procedures to shed the pre-cancer cells or treat the warts.
I figured it had to be diagnosed from some test either blood or pap smear. But, I was still sitting on the table with the little paper gown still closed. The conversation went:
"So, you're married"
"Yes"
"Is your husband your only sex partner?"
"yes"
"The only one you've had in your life??"
"Ummm...no"
"Ok, you have HPV" and wrote it on my chart.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow! What an awful doctor. I can't believe she told you all those things, and especially that you had HPV just by that, that is insane. I don't even think HPV causes abnormally painful cramps, unless it has turned into cancer (but no need to worry right now).

So glad you're finding a better doctor, because it is SO important. You are in charge of your own health, and really, no one knows your body better than you. Always ask questions, always do your own research!

I've researched endometriosis and found that it was actually fairly common. It can cause really bad cramping and abnormal periods. I don't know why doctors don't mention it more often. And from what I've learned, it can be treated and cured for most people. I first learned about this from the show "Mystery Diagnosis" on Discovery Health. I'd really recommend watching that show if you get it, a lot of the time it's about some very, very rare illness but sometimes you learn about things that are more common.

Sending vibes that this doctor is a good one and that you get some actual answers and feel better soon!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KristyKitty

I've researched endometriosis and found that it was actually fairly common. It can cause really bad cramping and abnormal periods. I don't know why doctors don't mention it more often. And from what I've learned, it can be treated and cured for most people. I\\
The reason isn't mentioned more is because the only way to to tell that it is for sure endo is through surgery. As far as treatment, surgery is also the treatment( which can be done at the same time as diagnosis) but it is not 100 % effective. In a lot of cases, the endo will come back. I opted for surgery anyway...I found out for sure what was wrong, and hopefully I will at least get relief for a few years. Also, a lot of times pain from endo goes away after having a child. I'm sure doctors do not want to be performing surgery left and right, especially since they won't now for sure until they are in there, which is why they try other things first to help the pain. Endometriosis is still a very mysterious disease that drs and researchers are trying to figure out!

I do think , however, that doctors should mention it is a possibility and after ruling things out should give the patient the decision on what they want to do. The bad doctor I went to, when i asked if I could have endo, said it was a possibility but she wasn't willing to do anything, not even an ultrasound!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I figured it had to be diagnosed from some test either blood or pap smear. But, I was still sitting on the table with the little paper gown still closed. The conversation went:
"So, you're married"
"Yes"
"Is your husband your only sex partner?"
"yes"
"The only one you've had in your life??"
"Ummm...no"
"Ok, you have HPV" and wrote it on my chart.
I hear ya. The same thing happened to me back 2001. It's very frustrating to say the least. One time I had to see her associate and I asked him questions about the HPV cause it's very confusing. Here my primary GYN didn't do a type test. The last few paps were inconclusive so it's still unsure if I have HPV. It stinks b/c I went through an emotional rollercoaster. I ended up dumping the guy and getting back with my ex(now husband). I spent many nights worrying about cancer and how it will affect my chances of getting pregnant.

Is there another doctor at that practice that you can see? Once I accidentally switched to the other I was very happy.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by roxsam

The reason isn't mentioned more is because the only way to to tell that it is for sure endo is through surgery. As far as treatment, surgery is also the treatment( which can be done at the same time as diagnosis) but it is not 100 % effective. In a lot of cases, the endo will come back. I opted for surgery anyway...I found out for sure what was wrong, and hopefully I will at least get relief for a few years. Also, a lot of times pain from endo goes away after having a child. I'm sure doctors do not want to be performing surgery left and right, especially since they won't now for sure until they are in there, which is why they try other things first to help the pain. Endometriosis is still a very mysterious disease that drs and researchers are trying to figure out!

I do think , however, that doctors should mention it is a possibility and after ruling things out should give the patient the decision on what they want to do. The bad doctor I went to, when i asked if I could have endo, said it was a possibility but she wasn't willing to do anything, not even an ultrasound!
Oh I see. Thanks for the info. That's too bad the only way to know for sure is through surgery. I thought they were able to see some things through ultra-sound, but I suppose surgery is the only for-sure way. Still, if women are in a ton of pain, have abnormal periods, etc. they should be given their options. I'm sure a lot of people if in severe pain would be okay with having surgery if it meant a possible treatment that could relieve their pain.

I wonder if with new technologies, they could use very small surgical tools to view the uterus and surrounding areas, without being too invasive.

I'm glad you found out what was wrong and hopefully you don't have any more problems. That's weird how they wouldn't even do an ultra-sound... So many times, it seems people have to take their care into their own hands.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh I see. Thanks for the info. That's too bad the only way to know for sure is through surgery. I thought they were able to see some things through ultra-sound, but I suppose surgery is the only for-sure way. Still, if women are in a ton of pain, have abnormal periods, etc. they should be given their options. I'm sure a lot of people if in severe pain would be okay with having surgery if it meant a possible treatment that could relieve their pain.

I wonder if with new technologies, they could use very small surgical tools to view the uterus and surrounding areas, without being too invasive.

I'm glad you found out what was wrong and hopefully you don't have any more problems. That's weird how they wouldn't even do an ultra-sound... So many times, it seems people have to take their care into their own hands.
You were right on...sometimes you can see it in an ultrasound, sometimes you can't, and if there is something they see it is not confirmed until surgery. Where mine was located there was no way the ultrasound could pick it up!! lol
The surgery is very non-invasive(laparoscopy,I have three small scars), but it still surgery which is a risk, costs money, requires healing/time off work, more liability of dr, etc. And there is also a chance that once they get in there they may have to do more and open up more.

I agree...it should ultimately be the patient's decision though. that is why I kept trying new doctors until I found one who wanted to find out what was wrong with me!!!

When it comes to YOUR health, never stop searching for answers, and if you are at all unhappy with your doctor or unsatisfied with their "diagnosis" then find a new one who is willing to go above and beyond! It is your health, your body and your life...don't let a dumb/lazy doctor stop you form having the best of it all.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that you're finding another doctor, you should have done so sooner. Just because they have a medical degree does not mean they know everything or even have an idea of what is going on with you health wise - often simple or even obvious things are overlooked... sometimes due to the doctor's ego.
Remember, you're hiring the doctor and just like any other service you pay for - if you're getting bad service go elsewhere.

I first learned about this from the show "Mystery Diagnosis" on Discovery Health. I'd really recommend watching that show if you get it, a lot of the time it's about some very, very rare illness but sometimes you learn about things that are more common.
Have you seen the episode "The Woman Who Kept Falling Down" ?