How annoying!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some moron keeps trying to fax me from a private number! I can't even let them know it's a phone because the number is blocked. So far I think it has happened 12 times in the last few minutes!

If it were someone we knew, the number wouldn't be blocked. It has to be an advertisement. I think it should be illegal to fax advertisements! Printer ink is expensive and I don't appreciate them wasting our paper.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If you are in the US, it is illegal to send unwanted faxes. Some computers have fax software on them. You can hook it up with a phone cord to the modem and find out who is sending these since the number is blocked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

If you are in the US, it is illegal to send unwanted faxes.
You're right, and I appreciate the info - but there's a lot of loopholes and we get so many, I just don't have time to fill out the form the FCC requires for each of them.

Some computers have fax software on them. You can hook it up with a phone cord to the modem and find out who is sending these since the number is blocked.
I'm not sure what you mean. Hook a phone cord between the fax machine and the DSL modem? If I do that it will unblock the call?

I do save up my unwanted and fax them to Silverman Enterprises "Get paid for unwanted faxes." Its a very small amount, but I do it in hopes that they will bust these annoying people.

Thanks for your response. I was really aggravated this morning - answering the phone to beeeep beeeep.... SO glad they stopped!

tobyt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I'm not sure what you mean. Hook a phone cord between the fax machine and the DSL modem? If I do that it will unblock the call?
Ahh! don't do that please...if you value the life of your fax machine don't hook up a cable between that and your DSL modem. I don't know if you know but a DSL phone line contains a power line in it that provides power to various devices its hooked up to...as well as the normal data transmission lines inside. Its because of this that they advise DSL users not to connect regular phones directly up with the modem or the phone outlet without an adaptor. this power line has the potential of, for lack of a better term, frying any modem...fax or otherwise...thats not been setup to be connected to a DSL line/modem.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sorry, I didn't realize that you had a fax machine. I thought it was coming across on a regular phone line.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TobyT

Ahh! don't do that please...if you value the life of your fax machine don't hook up a cable between that and your DSL modem. I don't know if you know but a DSL phone line contains a power line in it that provides power to various devices its hooked up to...as well as the normal data transmission lines inside. Its because of this that they advise DSL users not to connect regular phones directly up with the modem or the phone outlet without an adaptor. this power line has the potential of, for lack of a better term, frying any modem...fax or otherwise...thats not been setup to be connected to a DSL line/modem.
Ooops - too late!

Just kidding! Thanks for the advice!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry, I didn't realize that you had a fax machine. I thought it was coming across on a regular phone line.
LOL! It's okay. My post was confusing. Someone was trying to fax us, but they were calling our phone number. That's why it was so annoying. If their call wasn't blocked, I could have faxed them that they were calling a phone number.