Question of the Day - August 5th!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you like to go to yard sales/garage sales/rummage sales?

I absolutely LOVE yard sales, it has become a weekend tradition for us to go to them!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first bought my house, I would go all the time to pick up things for the yard, and small dishes to use for cat plates, and whatever else I liked. But now I have so much junk, I am throwing stuff out, and donating to the purple heart. I guess it depends on what stage of life you are in. After 50, I think you start to try to get rid of stuff.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to go to estate sales but usually the people around here make you stand in line and by time I find a place the stuff has been picked over. So I don't go to very many.
Some of the smaller communities have city wide sales and to me thats better so you don't have drive all over the place. But that being said I haven't attended one of those either.
Or I drive past a place having a sale and don't have any cash on hand!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love yard sales! Jess and I go at least every other weekend, while it's the season. I like to ebay, so I can sometimes find things to turn over for a little profit. Since we're in the process of buying a house, I'm always looking for household stuff. Last weekend, I got a whole bunch of cat toys, a scratcher, and a tray for their dishes... all for $1! Can't beat it when you're poor like me

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an addict!
I've gone to yard sales since I was a teenager (and that's a long time ago!). Every Friday and Saturday I'm up at 6 a.m. to get ready; my DH even brings me home a pocketful of dollar bills every Thursday night so I'll have small bills to spend. What a guy! I also have a booth at an antiques/craft mall, and pick up lots of items to resell there.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

...After 50, I think you start to try to get rid of stuff.
Uhoh.
I bring home ten-cent paperbacks all the time. And a couple of weeks ago, I found a very stylish oak-and-frosted-glass CD stand for three bucks!

The very best thing I ever found at a garage sale was a complete (up to then) set of Doonesbury books. Reading them in chronological order was like a really fun class in recent American history!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, yes, yes. Both DH and I do - we've gotten a lot of nice stuff at great deals. Throw in Auctions too in your question

We even stopped at a few during this weekend waiting to kill time during our son's wedding - we had to wait for the church to open up. We forgot the "streamers" for his car and the yard sale right near the church had some in a box - 10 cents each.....hehehe

On of the better deals we recently got was a double tiered round end table for our living room. DH looked up a similar style on the net and found it was about $100 - we picked ours up for $10. We went to another house and picked up handmade lace doily for 50 cents. We need a pretty red or dark blue bowl to sit on the table for decoration. I think we will find what we want at auction or an estate sale. Most of the yard sales are keeping their prettier bowls inside

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't really enjoy them... I used to go all the time as a kid, and liked buying stuff on my parents' dime.
But now, our community has changed, and you don't see them as often, and when you do, the entire atmosphere has changed... It used to be fun and casual, but things are harsher, more desperate. Less friendly community and nice bartering, now you don't know people and, well, you get the picture.

Besides, I've always been cheap, and now that we're saving for a baby, I'm downright stingy!
So when I buy, it is cheap, but it's very seldom that I buy anything! (Which is why that big camera hubby bought a month ago was a real splurge!!). Of course, when it's actually time to buy baby stuff, I'll probably start frequenting them again! Though I will probably never enjoy them like I did when they were still fun to go to...

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like going bargain hunting, but if we went to a car-boot kinda thing I'd be nagged about taking my childhood toys

I don't wanna let em' go!