Update on "sleeping a lot " Tundra....

denham

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wrote last night that my 14 week old kitten was all of a sudden sleeping a lot, avoiding his brother, and sleeping on us as much as possible. He also had a bloody bottom after using the litterbox (happened once).
I took him to the vet today and he had a fever and what looks like an air-born viral infection. He went ahead and drew blood to check for other possible diseases - all came back negative.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and input. As I have stated before, we are not previous pet owners so we know little about raising two kittens.
The vet did have some very kind words for me considering our situation and how well we are taking care of them. I say thanks to you for helping us.
So I have to give Tundra liquid antibiotics twice a day. Not fun, but he forgives me soon afterward.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very glad to hear it.

There are hints here about how to give pills and liquids, if you need any help.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by denham

...So I have to give Tundra liquid antibiotics twice a day. Not fun,..
Certainly not fun...it will help if you are relaxed vs tense...is that possible?

Having said that, if you see it as just a 10 second job that must be done as gently as possible, that will make it easier.

The only caution...squirt it into the corner of his mouth rather than "down the hatch" so that he doesn't aspirate - choke - on it. Otherwise you're risking another very serious condition.

I now use the "cat trick" of following the giving of any medication with a small amount of (human) tuna juice as a "chaser. With the last illness here, Andy actually cried for his meds when he saw me coming with the syringe!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you took your baby to the vet and that he's doing better. Watch your other kitty closely, as those airborne illnesses are contagious and your other kitty may come down with the same thing as well.

Hang around here long enough and you'll be a pro kitty owner soon! Don't feel like you're asking too many questions, either. There are lots of knowledgeable folks here with lots of experience who can help you.