Nerves are getting to me - PhD exam tomorrow

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahhhhh tomorrow I have a qualifying exam for my PhD. Currently I'm in my masters and in order to not have to complete it and go directly to my PhD I have to do this big exam infront of a committee of experts in my field, where they question me on everything I'm planning to do for the next three years,
I've been studying so hard, but I can't believe it's tomorrow. I officially feel like I'm going to barf.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get to do mine in November!

Many many many for you - you'll do great! Just don't let them scare you - if you look and sound confident, they'll think that you are! You've gotten this far already - there's no way that you're not ready for this!

Get some sleep tonight - you need to be fresh tomorrow to think on your feet! As my PI said before my big committee meeting last month - alcohol helps put you to sleep.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it you a doing your oral defense? I actually had to do one to graduate with honors in my undergrad major at Cornell. I was so nervous; some of the top professors in my field were there. I thought I didn't do well, but I passed. The night after I found out I passed, I got a little drunk. Okay, a lot drunk.

So, in anticipation of your success -

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the vibes everyone!

Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I get to do mine in November!

Many many many for you - you'll do great! Just don't let them scare you - if you look and sound confident, they'll think that you are! You've gotten this far already - there's no way that you're not ready for this!

Get some sleep tonight - you need to be fresh tomorrow to think on your feet! As my PI said before my big committee meeting last month - alcohol helps put you to sleep.
haha a little beer to wash away all the weak brain cells......

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow ....... sending calming vibes your way. I am sure you will do fine.

Way to go to you and to Pam

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck! What are you studying? I had to do these sort of tasks in my Ph.D program too such as comprehensive exams and oral defense for my dissertation.

I'm sure you'll do fine!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well today is the day, still want to barf but oh well! I am studying biochemistry and biomedical science, and my thesis invovles drug discovery for neurodegenerative disease. I guess the department is assuming ill pass, since they've booked my flight to a conference in Boston on Thursday to present my preliminary material and future experiments, soooo heres to hoping. Deep breaths....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is so exciting! I'm crossing everything for you! And thank you for pursuing a career in which you can do so much good for so many people.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

well today is the day, still want to barf but oh well! I am studying biochemistry and biomedical science, and my thesis invovles drug discovery for neurodegenerative disease. I guess the department is assuming ill pass, since they've booked my flight to a conference in Boston on Thursday to present my preliminary material and future experiments, soooo heres to hoping. Deep breaths....
Oh, that sounds interesting!
I'm working with genetic control of behavior and sensorimotor integration in a model organism and doing stuff like serotonin and dopamine, so I bet our work isn't too far off!

You'll do great - let us know how it goes!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope things are going well right now for you!!

wow, we have a lot of super smarties here on TCS

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I passed! Officialy en route to my PhD!

Although I must say it was the longest most painful two hours of my life! So brutal, but I never have to go through it again!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations, that's great news!!!!! Now you have the "fun" of actually doing the PhD!