stumped by wet choices

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have decided to change my cats to all wet. They were on dry and wet a long time. I started giving them all wet a couple of weeks ago. They had tasted the FF and Friskies, of course liked them. I tried them on wellness, which is good, they ate one can and wouldn't touch more. I had bought some Avoderm, which I thought they liked, as they ate a few cans of it. Now this morning wouldn't eat it. I am getting at my wits end. I want them to have really good food, but they only want the junk. I even tried mixing the Friskies with the Wellness and they put their noses in the air and refused to eat. Help! I am thinking about going back to wet and dry, but I didn't like the weight gain that the one did, she did lose some just doing the wet, maybe because she didn't like half of it. Needed some information as what to do.
Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Max Cat, beef Iams, and Natural Balance canned - they love it all

Used to use Friskies till Charlie got UTI - now I can't give them that. They both hate Fancy Feast.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nimbus used to be very good about eating whatever I put in front of him, then he stopped liking "solid" wet foods. Maybe, your cats are more partial to gravy/shredded foods too? Anyway, I finally have a good variety that Nimbus agrees with
and I alternate flavors/brands often.

Meow Mix cups ($)
Meow Mix Healthy Goodness cups ($$)
Fromm ($$$)
Halo ($$$)
Sheba ($$)

Those are all gravy/shredded foods.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't hear you say that you want suggestions for food brands...the message I'm getting is "I know what a good wet food is...I'm frustrated that the cats are being finnicky and I'm concerned that they may not be eating enough as a result".

If that's what you're saying, I would reply "Be patient. They're just being typical cats."

I had a chuckle reading a post on another board yesterday when someone posted that she wished that, somewhere out there, there was a kitty buffet, where cats could be brought to try out all the available foods, thus letting the owners know which were "satisfactory". I posted back that, cats being cats, chances are that, what my cat picked today would likely be rejected tomorrow (after I had bought several cases of the stuff, of course!)

Your experience with Wellness is a little like mine, though in reverse order. Mine turned up their noses the first time, then returned the next day to wolf it down.

I would serve it up - with decreasing amounts of the Fancy Feast, if strictly-Wellness is your target. (Nothing wrong with non-gravy FF, IMO)

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 2 guys ate the Wellness ok at first, now wolf it down also (probably because they are more hungry)

Wellness Turkey + Salmon and Wellness Chicken seem to be their favorite. They also eat Wellness dry (CORE and Indoor Cat blend)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

I don't hear you say that you want suggestions for food brands...the message I'm getting is "I know what a good wet food is...I'm frustrated that the cats are being finnicky and I'm concerned that they may not be eating enough as a result".

If that's what you're saying, I would reply "Be patient. They're just being typical cats."

I had a chuckle reading a post on another board yesterday when someone posted that she wished that, somewhere out there, there was a kitty buffet, where cats could be brought to try out all the available foods, thus letting the owners know which were "satisfactory". I posted back that, cats being cats, chances are that, what my cat picked today would likely be rejected tomorrow (after I had bought several cases of the stuff, of course!)

Your experience with Wellness is a little like mine, though in reverse order. Mine turned up their noses the first time, then returned the next day to wolf it down.

I would serve it up - with decreasing amounts of the Fancy Feast, if strictly-Wellness is your target. (Nothing wrong with non-gravy FF, IMO)
I really don't have just Wellness in mind, and I tried it quite a few times. I just got tired of throwing it away when they didn't eat. Of course I worry about them not eating, don't need anymore problem. They do like the gravy kind, in fact that's probably why they like Friskies. Yes, I need suggestions, because I would like to see them like a good wet.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for my misunderstanding, then.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take the good wet food and add some water to it and mash it up- its kind of a faux gravy..lol

My cats like it better that way, too. I do it with Wellness (their favorite flavor is Chicken & Beef)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Merricks? That's the only brand our cats will eat. The Thanksgiving Day Dinner and Granny's Pot Pie are very moist and more like a stew than a pate and those are the only two flavours of Merricks that they will eat.