These are my food options - thoughts?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been feeding Felidae to my girls for close to 2 years, but the price for a 20lb bag has gone up $10 in that time!!!!

So I'm thinking of changing over, partially because of my frustration with the company/supplier.

My local pet store sells these in bulk, and I can't decide which is better. I'm listing the first few ingredients of each, as well as cost per lb from most expensive to cheapest.

Wellness - $2.41/lb: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat(preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Salmon Meal

Felidae - $1.85/lb: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs

Natural Balance - $1.70/lb: Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck Meal, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Potatoes

Katz n Flocken - $1.67/lb: Lamb, Chicken Meal, Millet, Brown Rice, Ocean Fish Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil

Avoderm - $1.10/lb: Chicken Meal, Ground Whole Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole Wheat

VF All Natural - $1/lb: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Linoleic Acid), Beet Pulp, Natural Chicken Flavor

I want what's best for my girls, but I also want value for money. What would you guys do?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of those the Felidea is my 1 st choice

then wellness ( can you get the core??)
then vf all natural

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Sharky
I guess I'll just see if I can find the Felidae elsewhere. I've been going to a small independent pet store (which is kind of out of the way) for the Felidae, and I want to keep supporting them, but if they keep putting the prices up, it makes it hard!

I don't know about the Wellness Core, I need to go get some more litter tomorrow, I'll see if they stock it.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ONLY from your list. I second sharky's choice...the fewer grains, the better. Deal with your frustration with the company/supplier as best you can - it's the best of what you've listed. Meantime, if that's their mainstay, be sure you're providing several small "meals" daily and encourage water consumption - better yet, make wet their primary diet!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

ONLY from your list. I second sharky's choice...the fewer grains, the better. Deal with your frustration with the company/supplier as best you can - it's the best of what you've listed. Meantime, if that's their mainstay, be sure you're providing several small "meals" daily and encourage water consumption - better yet, make wet their primary diet!
They are pretty much free fed - we have an automatic feeder which only spits out a certain amount, but they're all pretty skinny.

Some people say all wet is better, some say all dry is better - I'm in the "all dry" camp - my cats don't get wet food and that's the way I prefer it. We have a water dispenser, and they drink plenty.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

...Some people say all wet is better, some say all dry is better - I'm in the "all dry" camp - my cats don't get wet food and that's the way I prefer it. We have a water dispenser, and they drink plenty.
I have a problem with "camps"/positions...I only know that mice, rats and birds aren't dry...and that true ferrals don't get crystals/ibd/diabetes...........

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Either way, my girls get all dry and will continue to do so

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Self-deception is, by nature, time-limited...eventually, nature catches up and bites us in the....

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Either way, my girls get all dry and will continue to do so
Sarah, many of us are now going with the results of more recent and updated information on the benefits of a wet diet over dry. There are still some of us whose cats just don't like wet food and prefer dry.

What you feed your cats is definitely entirely up to you and shouldn't even be a point of argument. You do what you feel is best as we all do.