Guess where we found a kitten today?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband came home from work and while I was making dinner, he decided to mow the lawn. We have one of those tractor mowers with the deck and bagger on it. He started the engine and drove up to the fence to get in the yard, and something made him look down. Here was a little orange tabby kitten that apparently was sleeping inside the deck (around the belts and blades)! He saw his little head poke out so he immediately shut it off and pulled him out. MAN, he was a little spit fire at first, but I think he was just scared. Once he realized his head was still attached he calmed down and started purring.

It's one of the barn cats' kittens..I've seen him and his sister sleeping under my husbands truck a few times. We normally check the vehicles before starting the engines, but neither of us thought to check the mower before starting it.

He's a sweetie though. I'm guessing he's between 8-10 weeks. I try to find homes for as many of the barn kittens as I can, and he is a definite lovebug, but he's still a little too young to leave his mommy. So, if anyone is interested in a sweetie tabby boy, let me know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Glad he is ok.
Oh yeah, he's fine. DH hadn't started the blades yet, only the actual motor and he wasn't near the motor. We're definitely going to check for now on. We just didn't even think about it because this is the first summer we've had a tractor mower.

The good thing is we got to meet the little guy (we named him Lucky) and he's gotten used to us. That's the problem with barn cats. Some are friendly, and some don't want to get within 10 yards of you. We try to get the kittens as used to people as we can so they can either be adopted out, or at least be taken care of if something happens. We've seen this one before, but weren't able to get close. Now, at least he know we aren't going to hurt him and start to feel comfortable around us. It didn't hurt that he got his first taste of canned cat food after that!

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aww, he sounds adorable!
And Lucky, what a cute name. Seems appropriate too!

I hope you find a good home for him. And pictures plz!!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a story! I'm so glad your hubby looked down before starting the blades. Lucky really had a close shave (in all senses of the words). Looking forward to pictures of your barn kitties

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

What a story! I'm so glad your hubby looked down before starting the blades. Lucky really had a close shave (in all senses of the words). Looking forward to pictures of your barn kitties
Wow that is a Lucky kitty

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
blimey - i bet he's gonna thoroughly check that machine before each use now!!! you should call him flymo or something!!